What "man jobs" have you done today?

How hard wearing is the Osmo stuff? Would it be any good for wooden cupboard units I'm building in the alcoves either side of my chimney (baring in mind I have a 4 year old boy!)

Also, can it be used on pine and do you still need to paint the knots with knotting fluid?

Looks good on my pine floorboards. I didn't do anything with the knots beforehand.

I applied two coats, one with a tint, and one without the tint. At the front door where the mat is you can tell that it is slightly discoloured, but you would never notice it if I didn't point it out. Its only from where the mat has moved slightly when rubbing your feet. The bottom of the mat wasn't the smoothest. I've replaced that now if a soft bottomed mat :)

The rest of the wood looks as good as it did the day after I had applied it.

How hard wearing is the Osmo stuff? Would it be any good for wooden cupboard units I'm building in the alcoves either side of my chimney (baring in mind I have a 4 year old boy!)

It's good. We used it on our oak worksurfaces. We have a 2yr old, and my Wife is not mechanically sympathetic to anything. You do get light scratches in the surface, but you can just lightly cut back and re-finish every few years if you want.

We finished our antique pine doors with it too. Had zero issues.

Looks good on my pine floorboards. I didn't do anything with the knots beforehand.

I applied two coats, one with a tint, and one without the tint. At the front door where the mat is you can tell that it is slightly discoloured, but you would never notice it if I didn't point it out. Its only from where the mat has moved slightly when rubbing your feet. The bottom of the mat wasn't the smoothest. I've replaced that now if a soft bottomed mat :)

The rest of the wood looks as good as it did the day after I had applied it.

It's good. We used it on our oak worksurfaces. We have a 2yr old, and my Wife is not mechanically sympathetic to anything. You do get light scratches in the surface, but you can just lightly cut back and re-finish every few years if you want.

We finished our antique pine doors with it too. Had zero issues.

Cheers guys. Any change of any photos of the floor boards and worksurfaces?

Taken for a mate who was doing the same job. I like the semi-matt finish personally, very slight sheen. Full matt is too flat.

10392478_10152725696703034_5979017090305414675_n.jpg

For what it's worth, I restored an oak parquet floor in the house, and was advised not to use hardwax as it would not be durable enough (entrance hall - lots of traffic). Went for a commercial grade lacquer instead, and haven't been disappointed.

Last edited:
'Installed' a pair of Sonos Play 1's. It turns out the gap between the ceiling and top of the kitchen cupboards is about 3mm less than the height of a Play 1. Getting one of them in was a bit of a faff as I had to take off a trim piece on top of the units.

They're sounding excellent. Now to sort my WiFi so that the Sonos boxes play nicely with it.

The Osmo oil is great.

That kitchen would look great if you painted the units in a pastel grey or cream, in my opinion too much bare wood!

Yes, completely agree and that's the plan one day but I just don't have the time at the moment.

29 drawers/doors, plus the surrounds and of course the rest. I'd probably look to get it sprayed to give the best finish too.

Also, can it be used on pine and do you still need to paint the knots with knotting fluid?
I don't expect to have to treat the worktop for a few years, put it that way.

Last edited:
I like the door (same doors as i have :)) - but that door is fitted upside down!?

Yup,

I bought them 2nd hand (only a few weeks old mind) so they had already been fitted to another home. When they fitted them they just lopped a lot off the top, not from both the top and bottom to keep it quite even. The handle was also the other way round. SO what I had to do to get the right fit and not go chopping extra holes unnecessarily was flip it around.

New job for me over the weekend. We damaged some plaster cornice in 5 places during a knock though last year. Quotes to repair were all in the £800 range.

Was going to have it professionally repaired, but it's back of the queue due to other ongoing priorities. Had a quiet period last week and had a go myself. 3 of 5 done - looks spot on.

Total expenditure so far ~£14 on plastering busks, small tool and casting plaster!

Finished the new kitchen !!!

WOOP WOOP,

2 and half months of living out of a 1980s crap fridge and a microwave.

Actaully why did i need a new kitchen :(

Made up a new bench for the garden a couple days ago from some nice redwood from the parents conservatory that they replaced last week. Nice and solid and pretty comfy. Going to put a hole in the top part for an sun shade as it'll sit more out in the garden once the rest of that is done.

IMAG0825.jpg

Back
Top Bottom