What "man jobs" have you done today?

Past couple of days; pulled old back fired boiler out, pipes removed, gas and electric fire removed, laid down new pipes and gas routing, demolished pig shed, pulled down majority of sheep wire and caught the sun in doing so.

Back to work tomorrow :o

Well my Staple gun turned up today so I could finally get my desk chair sorted out. All in all it probably took around 2 hours to disassemble, remove the old staples and foam and then roughly shape the new foam and re-staple the cover back on. Chair is now 10x comfier than when the chair was new and it only cost me £9 in materials, plus £20 for the staple gun if you dont already have one. You can get cheaper staple guns if you just want to make your chair comfier on the cheap.

DSC_4248_zpshd5948oq.jpg

Left is the new foam and right is the old compressed foam lol. I used 1" of high density chip foam glued to the base and then 3" of medium density reflex foam. Roughly shaped with some scissors. If you just want to use one piece of foam then best to go for some high density reflex foam (blue).

DSC_4253_zpslachfzze.jpg

Then simply stapled the cover back on with some 8mm staples. The seat cushion then gets bolted onto the chair base.

It's so comfy now, can't believe i put up with the old one for so long.

Last edited:
He'd have had to replace the ceiling if he pulled them out.

Yup, as above.

Options were...

a.) rip ceiling down, replace joists
b.) rip ceiling down, jack up, sister to retain
c.) sister joists at new level
d.) fit firring strips

I decided C was easiest given that I have to live in the house and I probably don't have the skills to do D to a decent standard as would require a bespoke cut per joist.

Updated man jobs since...

As expected, once I got the first few boards down it went quite quickly:

IMG_1558.JPG

IMG_1559.JPG

As mentioned, I had to leave the floorboards at the side of the room as the stud wall looks to be built on top of it, floorboards overlaid the majority was some packing but was higher near the door so bit of ply, caulk, primer and self-leveller and sorted:

IMG_1563.JPG

And as of today, room prepped and painted, new window sill (took out uPVC overlay and fitted the melamine/chipboard type) and wardrobes in.

IMG_1607.JPG

Even had to resurrect some kitchen fitting skills to scribe a bit of trim for the wardrobes

IMG_1604.JPG

Just need to touch up around the trim and waiting for the carpet and blinds.

Almost finished the 300 piece adult jigsaw puzzle. Must have been a friday afternoon pack at the factory as it didn't come with a picture to follow and i'm sure half the pieces were the wrong ones, I had to cut them with an angle grinder... :p

IMG_2963.jpg

Just need to get rid of the red brick fire pit and replace it with either a cast concrete block pit (nicer than it sounds!) or build one out of natural stone. I need to figure out what foundation it will need to be on first unfortunately.

Once that's done I need to sort the front path out that leads to the newly paved drive and also the patio next to the house, which is currently a dirt patch and has to be walked over to get to the workshop/shed and the garage/gate. I think it'll be around 2000 ft2 of paving when finally finished!

Last edited:
Somehow got a king size 2600 pocket spring mattress upstairs to replace the old one.

Absolutely knackered, so damn heavy, it is 2-3 heavier than the old one.

No marks on the walls either...bonus.

yesterday i removed my range cooker and hood. Also dry tiled my bathroom floor ready for tiling tonight
Plasterboarded a wall i rendered earlier in the week and plastered the bottom of the wall in one of the rooms ready for skirting boarding.
All on the go!

last owners of the house didn't cut back the vines on our pegoda for god knows how long, leading to rotten beams :( Cut the vines a few weeks back to kill off the top and then spent about 10 hours & 8 trips to the tip this weekend doing this:

WSEwWwRl.jpg
juLE2vHl.jpg
24HIrtGl.jpg

Now i know how Boris Johnson's barber feels. Verticals seem ok but will reassess once i've taken the beams off next weekend.

Fence before:

IMG_20160530_113636.jpg

New fence:
IMG_20160727_142130.jpg

The before photo doesn't really give an idea of quite how concave shaped it was as the former pond had a rockery around the edge that had slipped back and bent the panel out of shape.

Quite impressed with the quality of the panels, they are Travis Perkins "super lap" pressure treated. Last time I did any fencing I used some cheaper Wickes dipped ones that are not as good as these.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom