What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Hmm put up picture, cleared edges, cleaned all the paving, watered the lawn, cleared crap out of pump, took garage crap to tip, cleaned windows.. just the usual.

Soldato
Stripped 30 year old nicotine stained wallpaper off dining room walls, luckily the plaster underneath is good. Gave the walls a coat of some magnolia I had spare so I can see any imperfections ready to fix tomorrow before painting the final coat.

Associate
Also built a planter from a pallet.
wgpgBFs.jpg

Finished off shed.
ejYunUb.jpg

Started on building small retaining wall for garden, will be made from 100mm x 200mm sleepers.
5ep3OJV.jpg

D4hOH8M.jpg

Soldato
Tried to figure out why the old lighting circuit had stopped working after pulling in new cables. I thought I must have knocked something whilst pulling in the new cable. I've traced the cables back to as far as I can, checking voltage as i went until they disappeared somewhere under the floorboards of the front bedroom. I've not touched anything in there.

So I'm stumped.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like building planters is the job of the moment. I built one from decking planks over the weekend.

No screws in the sight here, all dowelled and glued:

bxCqysHl.jpg

Spare/scrap timber used for the base:

osZZ07Vl.jpg

Lined with a car boot liner from Homebase. The liner was £1.99, garden polythene was £20 a roll!

GIzNH5gl.jpg

In place, filled with compost and beans planted:

N42qr8kl.jpg

The legs are screwed to save time and faff.

Very pleased with the outcome, particular the sides as it's the first big thing I've built with my new Jessem dowelling jig.

Associate
I use cheapo rubble sacks (£1 for a pack of 5) with holes cut holes in the bottom. My theory being that it protects the boards on the sides slightly from the moisture.

What to do you think to the doweling jig? Used my Kreg R3 pocket hole jig for the first time the other day, quite impressed with how well it worked and how strong the join is.

Dave

Man of Honour
Wasn't today but the other day we had a burst pipe and in my panic I snapped the old plastic bath panel pulling it out. Turns out after many calls to various suppliers that you cant buy a 570mm P shaped panel these days. So off into the garden I went, grabbed a load of old pallets, whipped out the jigsaw and just over an hour later I have something resembling a bath panel:

Fit it up to the bath and.... perfect fit. Not bad for an hours work! That should do for now me thinks :)

Soldato
Last few days rather than today but I have been prepping my old bedroom for decorating ready to become the office. So I removed the few last bits of furniture into the only room left to decorate, pulled the carpet and underlay up and took them to the tip. Then I sugarsoaped all the walls, then filled the holes that needed filling and removed some beading which for some reason had been put down along the skirting boards and finally put a coat of white matt emulsion on the ceiling.

Next up is to do the woodwork.

Associate

Also built a planter from a pallet.

Finished off shed.
ejYunUb.jpg

why is your shed wonky ? (not lined up with rest of garden)

I lined it up with the fence to the left and rear - it's just the rest of the garden is wonky/sloping down and sideways!

Man of Honour
Out of interest, do you have any pics of the curved frame?

I don't but could pull it out and grab a couple. The best I have with me is one end of the frame. I ended up building 2 parts the same and then put 4 battens holding them together. It is pretty rough but you should get the idea, I simply cut a half moon shape and attached it to a long piece of timber that I had cut to size using the old bath panel as a template. Some glue and a couple of screws did the trick here :) This picture shows the bottom end of the frame while I was laying it out seeing how it might look. There is an almost identical part at the top (its a bit thinner than the bottom piece as it sits up under the rim of the bath.

Back
Top Bottom