What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
For those of you with log stores

I built mine a few months ago, even though the base is raised off the floor it seems to constantly be damp at the bottom of my stack and never dry out. It's in a pretty shaded area so doesnt see any sun, but how do other people deal with this?

Obviously i could rotate the wood but thats a ballache.

Soldato
I will be fitting a handrail tonight now that the brackets have arrived. The supplied screws look like they're made from tin foil.
Ha, they always are. I fitted a curtain rail yesterday and as usual they sent tiny grey wall plus and tiny screws. As expected it just span in the hole and wouldnt tighten up so i had to go to screwfix and get some proper fixings.

Associate
Fitted a new induction hob last night

Having to make the cut out in the work surface larger was a right pain! next time I'd pay someone professions to do it for sure

Soldato
Ha, they always are. I fitted a curtain rail yesterday and as usual they sent tiny grey wall plus and tiny screws. As expected it just span in the hole and wouldnt tighten up so i had to go to screwfix and get some proper fixings.

Yep, had to make a trip to screwfix too. Got myself what seems like a lifetime supply of screws. 400 for about £4. I used 20.

Associate
Got this shelving unit put in place yesterday, never trust those bench supports and the extra storage will be a bonus. Used the wrong template when I routed the mortises on the uprights so they were off centre, which meant I had to do the tenons to match so it's not quite as perfect as the plan but it does the job! Before/after;

IMG_3661.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

Soldato
For those of you with log stores

I built mine a few months ago, even though the base is raised off the floor it seems to constantly be damp at the bottom of my stack and never dry out. It's in a pretty shaded area so doesnt see any sun, but how do other people deal with this?

Obviously i could rotate the wood but thats a ballache.

I use old pallets or scrap wood to make a base like a pallet on two stores - the other two just sit on gravel - they are well covered and run off water doesn't run down face of wood in log store - always dry when get to bottom logs - if you do find wet ones move them to top of another store if you have one.

Soldato
Cut then scarified my top lawn - had lot of weeds and moss in it and this is how it turned out-- so today I have just sprayed it with roundup to kill it all off - will scarify on a regular basis till next year then seed it.

Also Reminder Fox told me today was day to clean out the gullies - I have soak aways which I have had to renew over last few years so I installed gullies at base of down pipes - Clean them every two months

413468956.jpg

Soldato
@Molep - That's very impressive. Are you a professional carpenter to be able to do that or just learnt by taking apart the old rotten sash windows and rebuilding?

@DXP55 - Yeah i think i might try and raise it up a bit. Only have the one wood store but might move it to a place which will get a bit more sun to dry out better.

Associate
@Marvt74 thanks!
No, just a audio visual tech, just watched a shed load of youtube videos on sash window restoration and consulted a bit with http://thecraftsmanblog.com/blog/

This was the last of 7 I had to do and the one in the poorest shape.

Researched a lot of paints etc... ended up using Rustins all in one primer and undercoat and 3 coats of Bedec MSP light gloss.
Hacked out all the rotten wood from the frame/sill, literally poured in loads of wet rot wood hardener, then filled with 2 part wood filler and sanded down/to shape.

Heat gunned all the existing paint and putty off the frames and sanded down to bare wood.

Settled on Top Gun acylic glazing putty, mainly due to being able to paint it after 4 or so hours - normal putty would have been much easier to shape though, the acrylic stuff is like bathroom sealant consistency.

Also used some WD40 silicone spray to help the sliding up and down.

Will see how it holds up after a winter, pain to work on this - had to ladder up to it as halfway up the stairs and a 14 foot drop out the window into a useless enclosed courtyard.

Still hope my neighbours take note - theirs is literally only just being held together by the remaining paint, think theirs is beyond any sort of repair.

Now the wife wants to put a horrible net curtain over it and hide all my hard work. Was thinking of maybe some window vinyl stuff on the panes but that seems like a real pain to apply and get the right shape cut for the irregular panes.

Soldato
More digging :(

After my successful patio project, I have decided to pull up all the old slabs round the side of the house. No foundations under them at all, no wonder they all half sunk into the mud and cracked.

Will be putting some new ones down properly....

Soldato
Yeah its been on my todo list for a few years now :o as I hate plastering and it'll mean a full redecoration as i'll get it everywhere no doubt.

I thought i was losing my mind when I woke up and saw people walking about on my ceiling lol. It must just be a combination of the window being opened at a certain angle and reflecting off the pole as I have never noticed it before.

Soldato
Not today but made a move to finish up my new table. Did the top on Sunday. First time i've used the my mitre saw to cut a recess using the blade height stop.

Much less faff that getting the router out and building a little jig to hold the pieces of wood for small jobs like this. Wasn't something i could do with my old saw so definately happy with the sliding feature.

NQLCQPt.jpg

Plan is for something like this to fit at the end of the sofa where we don't have room for a normal end table.

L1l2C07.jpg

I've bought a 6 small tiles (100mmx100mm), which will form the top to avoid ring marks etc.

Back
Top Bottom