What "man jobs" have you done today?

Associate
Home improvements in the past years ranging from bedrooms, hallways living room, drive etc. I won't bore you with a pic overload so here is an example of a before and after

Edit, getting pics on here is a nightmare now

IMAG0966.jpg

IMG_20170526_074357.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Fitted a new induction hob last night

Having to make the cut out in the work surface larger was a right pain! next time I'd pay someone professions to do it for sure

Was this a replacement induction hob or a new one to you - If a replacement is it better than the old one - mine is 7 years old and was thinking of replacing it but need to know if there is a major difference in performance - ie touch controls are better - heat up is quicker etc.

Associate
Prepped floors ready for concrete in our cattle shed, and cleared some old block walls out ready to replace with mass concrete walls. Panels will go in place tomorrow then to order up 6 cubic metres ready for pouring.

I hate concreting...

Soldato
@trimmer1980 very nice transformation, what colour have you painted the wall? Can't work out if it is white or a slightly grey due to the crap laptop screen!!

Also really like the floor, is that a laminate?

Associate
@trimmer1980 very nice transformation, what colour have you painted the wall? Can't work out if it is white or a slightly grey due to the crap laptop screen!!

Also really like the floor, is that a laminate?

Hi there, thankyou, the walls I mixed myself its actually a Homebase tester pot called black magic with white soft sheen paint as it seemed cheaper to do it that way. The floor is Schreiber laminate flooring from home base. They had a deal on so snapped it up.

Last edited:
Soldato
Was this a replacement induction hob or a new one to you - If a replacement is it better than the old one - mine is 7 years old and was thinking of replacing it but need to know if there is a major difference in performance - ie touch controls are better - heat up is quicker etc.

I moved in to a house in January and the induction hob broke within a few weeks. Bought a new AEG one and fitted that. Can't say I've noticed a difference in performance. The controls are slightly better as its quicker/easier to get it up to a higher temp but nothing major.

This is the new one - http://www.aeg.co.uk/kitchen/cooking/hobs/induction-hob/hk764403fb2/

Soldato
Hi there, thankyou, the walls I mixed myself its actually a Homebase tester pot called black magic with white soft sheen paint as it seemed cheaper to do it that way. The floor is Schreiber laminate flooring from home base. They had a deal on so snapped it up.

Great job on the mixing!

Associate

Replaced the ceramic hob that was in.. its made a world of difference just the annoyance of fitting it!

Soldato
Last night i fixed our bedroom blind which has been falling away from the wall for a few months.

Not sure how the fitters work but i'd have said a 2" long screw into the tiny 4mm red plugs where half of the hole is wasted isn't a good idea of doing things!

Don
Starting to all come together now (at least in the kitchen), just sanded and sealed some old scaffolding boards, I think they look awesome and aside from the oil they were completely free :cool:

vCA00QX.jpg
U2RTTIN.jpg

Soldato
Yeah thats looking pretty good.

I also got free wood, after my wife spotted 2 of these in the alley behind our house

mNqJ9LF.png

Also fitted a base inside the table top for the tiles to sit on and glued up the main base

AiXzZCf.png

ByfLgf8.png

Annoyingly i then came to fit the middle diagonal piece and the clamps must've been on a slight angle as the whole lot came apart. I'm starting to think Gorilla wood glue isn't actually very good!

Soldato
Have spent the last couple of months (evenings and weekends) converting our loft space that can be used as an office as well as storage.
I have done most of the work myself, but had a joiner in to remove the trusses and put in some beefy purlins. (this has been passed off by building control as well)
Also had the velux fitted by a certified velux installer.

I have fitted the floor and all of the insulation pretty much on my own (had a little help from my brother with the floor)
All joinery work has also been done by me.

I am about 1 or 2 sheets away from finishing the insulation (thank god) I took a delivery of 20 sheets of plasterboard this morning, hopefully will get started on those tomorrow.
Massive hole i the celing as I have one of these waiting to go in once all the "dirty" work is finished
http://www.laddersandscaffoldtowers...u3BTaJp3gNV38xDxm3eYPZ18-oINtMF8aAiiLEALw_wcB
I am heavy so I wanted a strong ladder
The pictures aren't the clearest as its difficult to get all the room in, room dims are 3.3m by about 9m (eaves to eaves)

I did debate fitting a toilet and sink in there as our house only has 1 bathroom but opted against in the end with it being ladder access only.

D6yxLU3l.jpg ldJWeVtl.jpg

v3PoqXQl.jpg pMDwCl7l.jpg

Soldato
Annoyingly i then came to fit the middle diagonal piece and the clamps must've been on a slight angle as the whole lot came apart. I'm starting to think Gorilla wood glue isn't actually very good!

The glue should be fine, although i always stick with Evostick for PVA, but titebond is also highly regarded.

I think the problem is probably that you're glueing endgrain, which makes for a very weak joint. A slight knock when dry could break the join.

Back
Top Bottom