What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Fitted the worktops. Refused to pay 160 quid a corner for someone to use a router and jig so did it myself. It's pretty easy. Not perfect by an means, out a mill by the mitre and slight lip I can feel which I could get tight down but it's good enough.
20171209_140510.jpg

That looks very good! Just as good as the bloke I paid to do mine :o

Man of Honour
HeUYEsp.jpg

More painting. Getting the hang of it now :p couple of tiny marks on the skirting board to get off but other than that it’s ok

Wanted a darker feature wall for some contrast. Turned out a lot better than I expected, really pleased with it

Soldato
That looks very good! Just as good as the bloke I paid to do mine :o

All about having the right tools.
A TREND £80 jig and a several hundred £'s router made it very easy. Luckily I know a guy with all the stuff. It really is as easy as clamp, cut and glue. However if you walls are out at all (aka not 45degrees) you will end up with a bit of a problem. Tucking the tops underneath each other and drawing a line for the jig solves this. I'm doing up the whole kitchen, so scrapped out a bit of plaster from the walls to line everything up nice and straight and it will get covered by the tiles and silicone if its out. It's overall no more than 5mm at any point.

Soldato
I have over 2 tons of it sat in my backgarden because of the charge. I'm waiting until I start the driveway so I can bury it.
Might just bury mine in the garden. Will be doing the drive but I'll only end up with even more rubble. Although there is a skip just over the road at the moment left over from Welsh Water doing some work, might have to throw it over the fence at night :o

Soldato
Tip charges £3 a bag for rubble so I think I'll hang on to all the full/half bricks for something...

It sucks. My local tip have the same charge. I have 11 bags of rubble ready for chucking after I installed some channel drainage. I'm not spending £33 to get rid. I've chucked what I can of the sand/dirt in the garden and dug it in.

Think I'll be tipping a bag a week into the rubbish bin.

Soldato
It sucks. My local tip have the same charge. I have 11 bags of rubble ready for chucking after I installed some channel drainage. I'm not spending £33 to get rid. I've chucked what I can of the sand/dirt in the garden and dug it in.

Think I'll be tipping a bag a week into the rubbish bin.

Our council have a permit to allow up to 10 bags of rubble per year at no cost. Maybe take a look :)

If you get a nice guy at the tip, they don't always mark off the right number of bags either.

Soldato
I must be lucky in that my tip doesn't charge and doesn't ask questions... Chucked a fair amount of plasterboard into seperate sections and rubble etc..

For 3quid though I'd just pay it rather than bury it lol!

Soldato
My HWRC started charging for rubble and plaster recently too. Doesn't help that it's contracted out to a private firm - probably already milking the council for more than it's worth.

Associate
My local tip charges £2.50 for a bag or £5 for as much as you dare put in your car. The one 5 miles away is free :|

Todays man job was closing the valve to the outside tap, only after it had been spraying water everywhere for several hours. Got back home and hoped next door were using a pressure washer, no such luck. The pipe is insulated as well.

Back
Top Bottom