What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
I would have thought all tips within the same council area will all have the same charges unless you go over the 'border' into another council area.

So Staffordshire County Council, where I live charge £3 per bag.
Just up the road in Cheshire East charge £3.50.
The opposite way down the road, Derbyshire County Council I can tip 50kg a week.
And City of Stoke On Trent accept 50kg a month.

It's just a complete faff. So I'm expected to weight my rubble? On the bathroom scales? Then they're going to take my ID, cross check it on the "banned from tipping rubble this month list". I don't believe they're that strict in reality but still.

11 bags, and around 10 ish damaged paving blocks and a small-ish pile of concrete. I'm probably just being a tight arse :D

Soldato
So Staffordshire County Council, where I live charge £3 per bag.
Just up the road in Cheshire East charge £3.50.
The opposite way down the road, Derbyshire County Council I can tip 50kg a week.
And City of Stoke On Trent accept 50kg a month.

It's just a complete faff. So I'm expected to weight my rubble? On the bathroom scales? Then they're going to take my ID, cross check it on the "banned from tipping rubble this month list". I don't believe they're that strict in reality but still.

11 bags, and around 10 ish damaged paving blocks and a small-ish pile of concrete. I'm probably just being a tight arse :D

Probably alright if the other council's tips are just down the road. I live in a huge County Council area and driving to the next council probably cost more in fuel and time than just paying £3 (or whatever my council charge) to drive less than a mile away.

Also if they are checking ID then they probably won't allow you if they notice you're not from the area.

Associate
Cleared out the understairs cupboard and broke through to the otherside, going to add to vents, frame and drywall it.
Floor found to be part concrete then just earth deeper in. Not sure what is holding up the stairs but will be putting in some uprights to strengthen them.
Also an adjoining cob wall where the plaster is just falling off - not going to touch this at all - just give it good ventilation.
bFiXIud.jpg

LquETOD.jpg

Soldato
We bought a cheap pine table and chairs a few weeks ago and I painted it and stained it and we reupholstered the cushions:

1jXltJ1l.jpg

Also did the bookshelf to match it afterwards, just finished today.

HCaW4pPl.jpg

What the shelves looked like before (terrible picture but also includes my old dining table I had in my little flat)

1NLLFOHl.jpg

Soldato
We bought a cheap pine table and chairs a few weeks ago and I painted it and stained it and we reupholstered the cushions:

Also did the bookshelf to match it afterwards, just finished today.

What the shelves looked like before (terrible picture but also includes my old dining table I had in my little flat)

That looks really good you should be happy with that :)

Out of interest what paint did you use on the chairs ?
We have a pine wardrobe that I want to paint cream to match the rest of the furniture in the room.

Soldato
Had a quote through for plumbing in two new rads. £220 labour, £390 materials for 2 600x1200 rads, TRVs and copper pipe. :o Piping is roughly 2x 5m coming off the boiler in opposite directions to the corner of the bedrooms, down through the ceiling to the ground floor then across the wall to the radiator.

Should I ask if they will use plastic instead of copper to save cost?

Caporegime
Screwfix have a sale in rads and you even get TRV for free. Those rads are probably £60-65 each.

Hard to comment on price without knowing the layout. I guess the pipes are going to be exposed so stick with copper

Soldato
Screwfix have a sale in rads and you even get TRV for free. Those rads are probably £60-65 each.

Hard to comment on price without knowing the layout. I guess the pipes are going to be exposed so stick with copper
we live in a new build and the exposed pipes are plastic :(
albeit they are only on show from the centre of the rad underneath to the valves on both sides of the rad.
I think the only copper in our house is the required 1m coming out of the boiler, and the gas pipes.

Soldato

Yeah I've seen that price on rads. Which is why I find it hard to believe it would cost close to £400 in total regardless of copper being expensive.

Here's my super crude not to scale floor plan. Red being existing rads, blue being new rads and pipe. For reference the lounge diner is just under 8m long.

CPlVfsQ.png

Soldato
Where are the windows?
The new rads are going under the windows. The rads in the bedrooms are all on the opposite walls to the windows :rolleyes: cryingman.gif

He's coming round to remove the gas fire this week so might query how much it would be to move the bedroom rads to under the windows seeing as the new pipes are going that way anyway

Associate
Put up two Logitech circle 2 cameras and tacked the cables in. Simplist DIY job I've done for a while!

Only been a few hours but they seem good so far. External power is going in to the garage later in the week so a third and fourth camera may beckon soon :)

Soldato
That looks really good you should be happy with that :)

Out of interest what paint did you use on the chairs ?
We have a pine wardrobe that I want to paint cream to match the rest of the furniture in the room.

It's Valspar eggshell from B & Q. They've got loads of colours and the finish comes out nice but that colour in particular didn't cover that well, took three coats on all of it. Comes out well in the end though.

Soldato
My Cyclone has come from China after an 8 week wait - Got it all fixed and and works a treat - Got the chop saw out and cut up load of starting sticks - put the hose on outlet on saw but either vacuum isn't powerful enough or there is too many gaps and holes around blade as it sucked up some dust but not all. - every time I stopped the saw had a quick vac around and you can see it wizzing round - There wasn't a spec of dust in vacuum so well pleased. Need to mod the intake on top - need a 90 deg on there.
Next step is to find a bigger container for dust and it's great not having to empty vac and clean filter every time.

413703476.jpg

Soldato
I cut out two rounds from an old kitchen door just slightly smaller than lid diameter -screwed one underneath lid and one on top - well screwed through top one into bottom one - Then cut the 2" hole then glued and screwed cyclone on -- Also cut another round for base of the tub to give whole thing stability - Hardest part is finding hoses and fittings to fit - that grey 50mm fitting on the top cost me £14 for two - only used one and pink bit of tube is a leg from old kiddies toy or something. - I think you may be able to cut quite a big hole in lid then cut a disc of wood and use mastic and screws to fit it - that will give you a solid flat surface to screw cyclone on to. - I am thinking of mounting vac and cyclone onto a board with caster wheels on so can keep it set up together but need to find a space to store it then

I think mine either got lost or they forgot to send it - they asked me if I would wait another 5 days so said I will give you 10 working days - Came on the last day just as I was preparing to send a email to ask for money back. It was worth waiting for just to have a clean filter in vacuum.

Associate
Finally got power to our new kitchen so cleaned the ovens and fired them up to burn off the new oven smell/dirt.
Also made a very small start into wiring up my new lighting control system.

Soldato
Made my dad a marking knife for christmas:
  • Started with this random bit of steel. No idea what it is/was? Drilled a test hole to check how hard it was, seems good enough for holding a sharp edge.
IVLzS6q.jpg
  • Used a bench grinder and a file to flatten off a section of this curved area.
5sZXx7C.jpg
  • Got the angle grinder out and roughly cut it to shape.
trXNdRT.jpg
  • Worked through 60, 120, 240 and 1000 grit sandpapers to refine the shape and sharpen the edge. Also cut some brass plates with the angle grinder
QSVMW1Z.jpg
  • Used superglue and rivets to attach the brass plates to the steel point then splayed the legs out a bit
yyf8T8R.jpg
  • Whacked a lump of cherry wood in the lathe.
XJMd03t.jpg
  • Turned a handle and applied a bit of teak oil
FjJWScT.jpg
  • Used more rivets (and a brass nail because my rivets were too short) with some more superglue to attach metalwork to handle. Then a final sanding and it was done
xpyN8cG.jpg

First time I've ever tried to make anything like this before so I learned a lot and it's a bit untidy in places but I'm quite happy with how it turned out :)

Back
Top Bottom