What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Yeah, if you have a longstanding weed issue then you do need to deal with that. How big an area? Dig by hand if you can, much less damaging.
Perfect time of year to sort it.

If digging it over, chuck in some sand and some kelp meal, feed the soil

Associate
You're right at the tail end of the autumn season to start sowing grass seed, as you need soil temp to be at a certain level for germination. Weather forecast seems ok for the next 2 weeks but not particularly great. You can always lay turf if you have the budget.

I would personally wait until spring now to do any sowing. You can do prep work such as weeding and adding in organic matter such as compost and sand if drainage is an issue. Since there is hardly any grass left, I would cover the whole area otherwise weeds will take over.

Soldato
Plus points of my house. The layout is perfect, it looks great and neighbours are good.

Bad points of my house. The walls are too bloody thick! Came to install my outdoor camera yesterday. I have a 500mmx16mm drill bit which i assumed would do the job perfectly. Nope didn't get near to punching through the external wall. Luckily going back to the neighbour "Plus Point". The guy next door does electrical installs and had a 1000mm 16mm bit in his van which made it through. I'd estimate the wall thickness around 700mm!

Soldato
Plus points of my house. The layout is perfect, it looks great and neighbours are good.

Bad points of my house. The walls are too bloody thick! Came to install my outdoor camera yesterday. I have a 500mmx16mm drill bit which i assumed would do the job perfectly. Nope didn't get near to punching through the external wall. Luckily going back to the neighbour "Plus Point". The guy next door does electrical installs and had a 1000mm 16mm bit in his van which made it through. I'd estimate the wall thickness around 700mm!

You think you have problems....

Parents house, (VERY) old Welsh cottage... BT install - 500mm bit, too short. 1000mm bit, too short. Phones 'Dave' who has the very long one (Ohhh Errr) and they work out the walls are approx 1.5m thick.

Soldato
That's insane! Surely you'd have an idea based on looking at it though?

Really hard to judge as house has been extended into L shape, and then extended off that.. The wall with the windows in isnt quite as thick (under 1m) but chimney end and long side and very very thick. its all old stone as well, nightmare to drill.

Would probably survive a bomb going off!

Soldato
revamping in the office

44878543_2162259617428937_8783302953197895680_n.jpg

44948695_2162259634095602_1041745172343291904_n.jpg

considering I hate being up ladders quite chuffed with myself lol. man job? hell yes as the fluorescent fittings were all full od dead bugs and spiders

also painted the back wall again

Soldato
^very nice. are log burners cheap to run?

Well as per post Here that load cost £165 and should see us through winter burning a few hours a night a few days a week (additional heat, not main source of heating) ....

There is obviously the initial outlay of the burner, fitting and possibly log store or three, axe, moisture meter, companion set, thermal thermometer lol

Soldato
^very nice. are log burners cheap to run?

Gas central heating is much cheaper and far less of a faff.(I'll probably get shot down for this lol).

A log burner certainly throws out a lot of heat but l'd imagine people who have one also have gas central heating. Spending 3k to install a burner would take years to return savings.

Last edited:
Soldato
Gas central heating is much cheaper and far less of a faff.(I'll probably get shot down for this lol).

A log burner certainly throws out a lot of heat but l'd imagine people who have one also have gas central heating. Spending 3k to install a burner would take years to return savings.

Agreed, i don't think its worth buying one to save money but to add to the ambience of the room and make things cosy they're excellent.

Soldato
New shower control unit fitted (Mira Vison digital mixer) & new pipework to plumb it all in. We now have a working shower again :D

After a week of trying & failing to get a plumber to do the job I decided to do it myself. Pleased with the result I.E it works!

Associate
Fitted two Roman blinds and two perfect fit blinds to our extension. Simple job complicated by my laziness, the supplied screws were cheap junk and after rounding the heads on half a dozen of them I thought I should go and dig out some decent ones before it was too late. I'm sure you can guess what happened next, cue five minutes with a pair of pliers getting the screw out.
Anyway job done now, wife happy all well south the world.

Soldato
On a random “im goonna go and check the boiler before it gets really cold” whim found this disaster so much fun has not been had this weekend.

ZePcYgi.jpg

S3EozRi.jpg

But at least i found it before it got any worse

Back
Top Bottom