What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Removed carpet and laminet in 3 X bedrooms. Carpet must be 30 year old it was absolutely rank and so glad it's finally gone. Spent most of the time refixing floorboards, amazing how many tradesman have had there wicked way and left them loose or not even secured at all

Got to remove the lounge carpet before Thursday as new carpet being fitted then can't wait as it's a sign the house is nearly finished and we've been putting up with these horrific carpets for 8 months now

Soldato
Removed carpet and laminet in 3 X bedrooms. Carpet must be 30 year old it was absolutely rank and so glad it's finally gone. Spent most of the time refixing floorboards, amazing how many tradesman have had there wicked way and left them loose or not even secured at all

Got to remove the lounge carpet before Thursday as new carpet being fitted then can't wait as it's a sign the house is nearly finished and we've been putting up with these horrific carpets for 8 months now

We had a carpet in the toilet/bathroom. Although all the carpets got a shampoo with a commercial machine before we moved in finally, it wasn't long before we ripped up the bathroom carpet and replaced with tiles.

Soldato
We had a carpet in the toilet/bathroom. Although all the carpets got a shampoo with a commercial machine before we moved in finally, it wasn't long before we ripped up the bathroom carpet and replaced with tiles.

Yeah exactly the the same, the carpets got cleaned before we moved in as they were so nasty, in the bathroom too and thats also been replaced by tiles but I'm regretting that decision, wish I went with vinyl as the guy that fitted the floor tiles did a crap job and there is movement in them so they'll have to come up at some point :(

Soldato
Been looking at splashback tiles for the kitchen- ordered a semi reflective matrix pattern sample too .. will have to make a decision in due time.. then a DIY fit :)

We ended up not having the splashback tiled. The builder suggested it'd look better without and he's right. The area is painted in special kitchen paint and I'm amazed at it, it cleans up perfectly! Splash vegetable oil up it? No problem. Splash red wine up it? No problem.

Soldato
We ended up not having the splashback tiled. The builder suggested it'd look better without and he's right. The area is painted in special kitchen paint and I'm amazed at it, it cleans up perfectly! Splash vegetable oil up it? No problem. Splash red wine up it? No problem.

We have a number ideas including printed glass.

Paint is ok but will peel quicker than having a splashback.

Soldato
Getting ready to tile bathroom. Baseline set to start up from in first instance.

flat_reno_bathroom_tile_0.jpg

Soldato
I have been painting the woodwork and doors in my house. Was currently all oil based paint, but I have been wanting to switch to water based for years and finally got around to researching what i'd need. Ended up getting a 2.5L tin of Zinsser bullseye 1-2-3 primer and a tin of Johnstone's water based satin along with a few decent brushes. Sanded the old surface down to remove all glossyness to provide a good key for the primer.

So far it seems to be going ok, but it's a lot harder to get a good finish with water base. You need to work really fast and do smaller sections at a time, or it ends up drying before you can lay it off. No matter how careful you are and even with expensive brushes its very hard not to get brush marks in the finish. Saying that it does look pretty decent when completed. It's amazing how much the oil based paint had yellowed in just a year. It's a none smoking house, so it's just the natural yellowing of the paint. Hopefully the water based stays white a lot longer.

The positives out weigh the negatives though and it's so nice having the paint be dry in 20 mins and not a few days and it still being slightly tacky. Also nice not having to have every window in the house open to get rid of the smell of oil based paint. Plus we have recently got a budgie and I didn't want the fumes to harm him.

Hopefully the zinsser primer does it's job and keeps the paint stuck to the oil paint foundation. Every time I have come across water based paint peeling it's always shiny gloss underneath as the person painting was too lazy to key the surface first, so hopefully I put enough effort in to stop that happening.

Tea Drinker
Don
Installed three steels and fitted with the timbers to take the roof. Redid the roof plates the bricklayers got slightly wrong. The central steel has five bits of timber bolted to it. It's an engineering masterpiece :)

Roof should be pitched next week.

pUUFjvO.jpg

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
It'll be very solid, but it seems OTT to use steels for that build doesn't it? (Built a few buildings now) That span doesn't look to be much more than about 3000? Tables easily specify wood for such a span even for habitable floors over (which yours isn't). :confused: :)

Associate
Installed three steels and fitted with the timbers to take the roof. Redid the roof plates the bricklayers got slightly wrong. The central steel has five bits of timber bolted to it. It's an engineering masterpiece :)

Roof should be pitched next week.

pUUFjvO.jpg

lovely keep the building pics coming, not sure why but i love to see building work and DIY progress :)

Tea Drinker
Don
It'll be very solid, but it seems OTT to use steels for that build doesn't it? (Built a few buildings now) That span doesn't look to be much more than about 3000? Tables easily specify wood for such a span even for habitable floors over (which yours isn't). :confused: :)

I'll let you argue with the engineer :p several reasons.

No trusses on this one, all cut roof. It's a complicated roof
It does mean the whole roof is 4x2 with 6x2 ridges
Steel is super cheap and doesn't shrink
The front and back are both hips with the front being a double hip. Both front and back steels are over the ceiling joists
I can use one steel for a fixing for a swing in the bedroom

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I'll let you argue with the engineer :p several reasons.
haha, i suppose he just specified that to be very safe and also because it wasnt more expensive anyway, was just interested as its definitely overkill :) (Recent build of mine has too much steel in it, too, you can never have enough!)

Associate
moved and re secured a slipped glazing panel on conservatory roof used some new end caps that come with a metal plate that holds the panels in place hopefully that stops the leak if it doesnt I have plenty of clear silicone to use up.

Back
Top Bottom