1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What "man jobs" have you done today?

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by jaybee, Aug 18, 2012.

1. LuckyBenski

Mobster

Very interested to see how this goes as I'm planning similar soon. Have a 12' x 12' space and I don't care for gardening. Figured I would build the biggest shed I can, insulate and plasterboard inside to make a den/workshop. Hoping to make it habitable enough for guitar and gaming.

Do you mind sharing rough ideas of costs?

2. Rilot

Don

Sure.
    Shed was £1200 with glass windows
    I needed 300kg concrete, paving slabs, etc for the base: About £200
    Plasterboard about £120
    Celotex or similar 50mm at around £250
    Carpet tiles £100
    Lighting, sockets, wiring, etc. £100

I reckon I'm at just over £2k at the moment and am expecting to spend another £1k on units and worktops.

Build time: The base took a day to lay the concrete and excavate. Then a day to cement in the slabs. Shed took me and 4 mates a day to put up.

3. Liquid_Entity

Soldato

Tried to put up a simple floating shelf from Homebase. Got all the drill holes perfect, spirit level perfect but when i put the supplied rawlplugs in and then fitted the base upon screwing it all in the rawlplugs disappeared halfway in to the wall and i couldn't screw the screws up. I used 7mm drill bit as it said and i think the plugs aren't big enough. Too late for going to get more plugs. Have to wait until tomorrow.

My wife always thinks its my DIY skills but i did everything right, its these rubbish rawlplugs.

That's what I'm blaming anyway

4. Kol

Don

Looks great @Rilot ... my last shed was from Tiger Sheds two years ago, as soon as the ground is ready I'm getting a workshop one, too.

5. Mark A

Capodecina

Very nice, I wish my garden was larger so I could have got a larger shed. I had to go for 10x8 and that extra few feet would have been so useful. I did add some double doors on the back to allow for large pieces of wood to stick out of the shed when cutting on my crosscut saw.

I got mine from Tiger shed as well and it is now 7-8 years old and still solid. The only issue I had was the felt was rubbish and only lasted around 3 years. I think i'm going to get some fiberglass shingles or epdm eventually.

I have been extending my workbench today, ready for hopefully getting a lathe at christmas.

[​IMG]

Added in some diagonals while I could get to the walls. The shed was flexing quite a lot when sawing and planing by hand, so hopefully this stiffens it up. @Rilot I'd recommend you do this as well before plasterboard if you plan to use any hand tools.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  6. Bouton Aide

Caporegime

Oof then sheds, you could get a bed in them! I know what I would be doing lol

7. Andrew_McP

Mobster

Public service announcement for all amateur manjobbers who may not have passed their "test your kit before you use it or pack it away after seasonal use" exam: Leaf blower/sucker bags rot, and may suddenly give way, redistributing your nice neat leaves as shredded mess all over your just-hoovered area. Gaffer tape will fix them... but only for long enough for you to forget about the repair and witness another debris explosion.

Right, off to Ebay.

8. {SAS}TB

Soldato

Had a log delivery this morning

[​IMG]

Cleared out the main log store

[​IMG]

Then stacked with the new delivery

[​IMG]

9. Merlin5

Capodecina

Awesome shed Rilot.

I pressure washed my front wall yesterday and painted all tops with some white Sandtex today.
    Need to point some missing mortar between paving tile. I believe I need 4 parts building sand to 1 part cement and a fairly dry mix so not to stain the tiles.

[​IMG]

10. keylion

Gangster

Cleaned the gutters out today. Full of stuff blocking the downpipe outlet so water was just pouring over the top.

11. Maccapacca

Tea

6 hours I'll never get back

[​IMG]

12. thenewoc

Soldato

Did they short change you on the wood for each end of the roof, the capping edges? Just redid ours as it was different wood to the rest and had weathered a lot but every one I've seen overhangs past the longest edges. Got some new wood for it from Wickes but wasn't cheap. I'd clout nail the edge of the felt along those longest sides at 50mm intervals if I were you as the wind will take that off otherwise.

13. thenewoc

Soldato

Have been up-cycling an old hand built english wardrobe. Just been priming it to ensure knots don't come through so whole thing is in pieces to spray up each side with a new toy (electric paint sprayer from Argos). Quite impressed so far as the paint has gone on pretty well. Got to find some chrome screws and hinges etc to give it a bit of a more modern look. Top coat is going to be chalk white. Considering something similar is about £900 from The White Company, am hoping it's going to come out good, has got more character than one of theirs due to the coachwork part at the top. Will do some pics when I get a chance. Looking forward to not having the stink of zinsser bin.

14. PaDE

Gangster

Smart looking floor!

15. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

The Mrs :p

16. Bouton Aide

Caporegime

Sleeping! don't have a misses or FB! :mad:

17. Jimmy Weirdarms

Hitman

Over the last week or so I have - Torn up an old laminate floor, mortared holes in the concrete underneath, repaired walls, assembled and fitted an entire toilet, including drilling holes in porcelain tiles and down into concrete (that toilet is never, ever coming out), painted our utility room (two different wall colours and the ceiling), painted the kitchen ceiling, painted the entire downstairs loo room, designed and started building an acrylic liner for the space under the stairs (where the cats' litter tray goes) and a whole load of other satisfying man-job things. I was feeling quite proud of myself ... until I did this to a door!

[​IMG]

18. the-evaluator

Wise Guy

Wow. That looks like my mother in law did it!

19. alexakasloth

Sgarrista

2 clamps and a straight edge go a long way!

I tried a bit of plumbing yesterday, adding in a T join (compression) and extending one side of the pipe with an extra appliance outlet on the end. Then changed/simplified the wastes so only one pipe exits the wall. Push fit and compression fittings made it a simple task.

20. 200sols

Mobster

Mushy chipboard, lovely. I hate floating chipboard floors and previous plumber seemed to be practising his soldering with joins every 2 inches.

[​IMG]