What "man jobs" have you done today?

Associate
I am doing my all time favourite job. Painting the hall wood work and 7 door frames - to be followed by painting the walls - followed by if I am sane and alive the bedroom doors.
v

v

v

v

v

v
I hate loath and detest painting but she who must be obeyed says do it.

Sod that, got a guy coming to do ours next month. I will do decorating, but I draw the line at the hall and stairs, especially as she wants the stair treads sanding back and oiling!

Soldato
I am doing my all time favourite job. Painting the hall wood work and 7 door frames - to be followed by painting the walls - followed by if I am sane and alive the bedroom doors.
v

v

v

v

v

v
I hate loath and detest painting but she who must be obeyed says do it.

You're supposed to do the ceiling, then walls, then woodwork, just FYI.

I agree though. I can't stand painting. I swear, when I have to do the staircase woodwork again, I'm buying a spray and masking all the walls off. It takes forever with a brush.

Associate
Not sure about it being a man job, but I did seal our countertop. Jumped off from reading this and deciding to finally take action, bought a sealer compatible with the material, finished the job and marvelled at it after. It's been bugging me for months! Will be fine until another year passes and I have to do the job all over again.

Soldato
That's not a drill ... this is a drill. :D

First time diamond core drilling, hence the smug smile, was good fun actually. Had to correct a complete bodge by the original kitchen fitters who thought duck taping a 4" pvc flex pipe which followed a right angle to a wrongly positioned hole outside would suffice. The 6" hole in place now should work a lot better with the extractor fan just got to put it back on the wall now. :)

Gbj8uLe.jpg.png

nice pic - out of interest do u think ducting like this https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...hUKEwjq3JqCx5vlAhUJiqwKHdNIDFwQ9aACCD8&adurl=

is far more nosier than having something like this:

https://www.toolstation.com/100-round-pipe/p29322

Caporegime
How did you learn how to do it as i've heard it can be easy to get it wrong? Trial and error?

Which stones did you use if you don't mind me asking?
Not sure I've learned it yet tbh, though they're a lot better than they used to be.

The tips are quite difficult, as you either need to increase the angle or rotate the knife as it gets to the tip. The other way is to tackle smaller sections of the blade at a time, rather than trying to do the entire length each stroke.

I watched a few YouTube videos; one of the tips was to use half a thumb as a guide so the angle doesn't get too steep or shallow.

The vids also tended to advise using lighter strokes as you drag the blade back towards you and slightly more pressure as you push it away (assuming the blade is pointing towards you). Also keep the stones wet beyond the initial soaking.

I got these from Amazon:

swXzsafh.jpg

coAgYWI.png

Last edited:
Soldato
nice pic - out of interest do u think ducting like this https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...hUKEwjq3JqCx5vlAhUJiqwKHdNIDFwQ9aACCD8&adurl=

is far more nosier than having something like this:

https://www.toolstation.com/100-round-pipe/p29322

Depending on your extractor fan you want to match the output diameter of the fan outlet as close as possible to the duct, as a narrower duct equals more back pressure which means the fan works harder making more noise. Now I've got mine running on 150mm ducting it is quieter and venting better.

If you can use solid ducting that is preferred as there is less resistance vs a flex tube as it tends to bunch up, the solid tube isn't going to collect grease and moisture like the flex would either.

Soldato
@Participant Nice, I have been doing loads of sharpening with whetstones myself recently. After a while you develop muscle memory and instinctively hold the knife at the correct angle I have found. I tend to just keep the same angle for the whole blade as I'm not that good a chef that a change in angle would make any difference for me.

One tip from someone that has been using whetstones for a few years is to keep checking the stones as they do dish in the middle after a while. You can get flattening stones for them, or use an old diamond stone, or a granite worktop saver with a piece of course sandpaper/wet&dry when your wife isn't looking.

Soldato
Depending on your extractor fan you want to match the output diameter of the fan outlet as close as possible to the duct, as a narrower duct equals more back pressure which means the fan works harder making more noise. Now I've got mine running on 150mm ducting it is quieter and venting better.

If you can use solid ducting that is preferred as there is less resistance vs a flex tube as it tends to bunch up, the solid tube isn't going to collect grease and moisture like the flex would either.

thanks I'm looking to replace my extractor fan as it's pretty noisy
replacing unbranded one with a bosch one

my ducting is silver foil one so I wonder if it will make a difference in noise if I use a solid duct

Don
Finished the insulation, wiring, and plasterboarding of the new workshop. Just need to fit the hardboard ceiling, insulate the door, fill the gaps in the plasterboard, paint it, add skirting, fit the floor, and I'm done.
I was going to skim plaster the whole thing inside but I think polyfilla and paint will be fine.

Soldato
Getting too old for this job now - did half yesterday and this today - Cheap bag of oversize logs all wet and dirty. Will probably use these next year.
Still got to get them up the garden and stacked.
That log splitter has paid for itself twice over.

414314039.jpg

Associate
Oven and hob went off during cooking dinner, nothing tripped on cu. Used a volt pen found cable to both was dead.
Cue a trip into the attic, found the oven power cable went into a junction box, and the live wire had worked its way loose. infact seems the previous owner thought finger tight would suffice on all three. Tightened (after turning off power) and good to go. Pays to know where your cables go and what they power, well most of them anyway.

Soldato
RznrQXU.jpg.png

Flattened the backs of all my chisels on a granite flat plate with 1200g and then 3000g wet and dry and then polished on a sheet of paper with polishing compound. Also sharpened a 30o secondary bevel on them all using my whetstones and polished. They're scarily sharp now!

Soldato
Excellent job Mark, I bet that took some time.

I often use the polished back on my chisels to aid cutting mitres by eye, it's surprising how accurate you can get them like this.
What chisels are the wooden handled ones?

Soldato
@famas Thanks, yeah it took way longer than i was expecting. The wooden handled chisels are Ashley isles Mk2 that I received recently after a month wait and the red handled chisels are some old Footprint chisels I got of ebay for rougher mallet work. The Ashley isles chisels feel really well balanced and it was surprising how good they feel in the hand compared to the plastic handled Footprint chisels. The backs did have some fairly deep scratches from where they linished the backs, some of which I have just left as it would take too long to remove them. I was going to go for Narex cabinet makers chisels, but i'm glad I found these and stumped up the extra. Also nice to support a remaining British tool maker.

TqeBFsD.jpg.png

i3XZx9y.jpg.png

Soldato
I've been redoing downstairs cloakroom and adding an in wall TV for the kitchen. We created a larger stud wall with and built a recess for the TV which is now done, now just to finish the bathroom side of things.

sq9ZYxLh.jpg

wbTh84Nh.jpg

The other side.. Put in an off cut of oak worktop for the basin to sit on.
cZFV6vGh.jpg

Phillips Hue lightstrip behind.
8EB9EVhh.jpg

Back
Top Bottom