What "man jobs" have you done today?

Great bit of kit the fiskars splitting maul.
My brothers just dropped off my first log delivery, another three to come. One of his customers had three full trees come down in the recent storms so I've grabbed the lot. Log burner is going in some time this summer, I've missed having one since we moved house and with the recent energy price rises and access to a good free supply I thought it was about time I fitted one in our new place.

Yeah the Fiskars is great kit - love it !

That sounds fantastic, have a few tree surgeons i try and tap up for new stuff to season myself and then get the log man for seasoned stuff. Jelly you can get it freely!

Ant bait traps are far far better. Having had an infestation around my hot tub and having chucked everything at them, put a couple of bait traps near their main routes and they were gone within a few weeks.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but my tactic has always worked in the past. The ants are nowhere to be seen a day or two later and this tends to remain for a few years.

The next two weeks will be clearing the back garden - skip arrives tomorrow.
a) final old pond brickwork removal
b) sand removal
c) break up a concrete reinforced pier
d) move a large stack of 7.3N medium density blocks (probably 100 blocks or so)
e) landscape the lawn back to the right levels
f) Cut out about the top 10-20 cm of the 3/4 ton pier base in the garden, cut the rebar and then bury the rest.

g) First BBQ in 2 years.

I finished digging out a stump (I started last year). It only took an hour in the end. I spent the rest of the day out in the garden weeding, mowing and generally tidying up.
These jobs give me such a mental block. Like, I need to do about 30 mins worth of grouting in the bathroom. I've put it off for almost a year now.

Got some lots from teh garden centre, placed them and measured up for trellis above them

IMG-20220327-180125.jpg

Fitted the Mrs' thermometer in the greenhouse

IMG-20220327-175020.jpg

Didn't take a before pic, but emptied the compost bin and cleared the area / removed the bin

IMG-20220327-172044.jpg

Cut the bin (vertically) in half

IMG-20220327-172048.jpg

Put some additional blocks in the corner for added strength and put them back down the side of teh chicken coop

IMG-20220327-173548.jpg

The compost was then spread over part of one of the beds

IMG-20220327-175057.jpg

IMG-20220327-175048.jpg

Neatened it up a bit!

Just building myself up to go in garage and clear a space around oil boiler -Take some of the paneling down that surrounds it as man is coming to service it -He came last week to fix a oil leak but didn't have correct knozzle to do the service then.
I have a Worcester/bosch and it's the biggest load of carp I have ever bought - I do long for my old hot water tank and basic oil boiler with a minor one burner. That was faultless for over 20 yrs.

ps - that is another £200+ bill

Last edited:
Starting painting the kitchen, it's a new build and we're the second owners. I think it's the original white on the walls. New colour right, old colour left. Did another two walls today, one more to do tomorrow.

AEA3-B846-91-F2-4915-94-F1-F7206-BFE213-F.jpg

if it's directly in the sun it won't be the ambient temperature of the greenhouse
seems they shouldn't be directly attached to a building either if you want an accurate reading
https://www.e-education.psu.edu/meteo3/l3_p10.html

All very scientific but we are taking an electronic / digital thermometer in a greenhouse not a liquid in air thermometer next to a heat radiating building.

I'm sure for flagging when the windows may want opening or a small heater popping in over night to avoid a frost it's fine ;)

Back
Top Bottom