What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
I hate decorating!

Painted the downstairs hall and installed dado rails. Pretty pleased with them. Going to continue the colour scheme and rails up the stairs this weekend. I’ve got a very old manual mitre saw, how I dream of an electrical one!
Going to be changing the plugs, and going to paint the skirting green aswell so not too fussed about the spills..

C989-CE6-C-75-FC-44-DF-AE2-C-C15910-DD4-CCA.jpg
If I had any constructive feedback I'd suggest you unscrew the sockets enough to pull them away from the wall so you can paint behind them without actually painting the socket

Soldato
Like the colour

Didn't think dado rail was in fashion anymore! But looks good.

I’m not sure, but I think they look good. We put picture rails in our living room, so makes sense to have the dado rail I guess…
It’s a 1920s/1930s house so not period but as it’s older I think we can get away with it.
These are our picture rails in the living room.
It’s a pretty colourful downstairs!

19-F5-C1-FB-4-D0-A-4486-AAF4-0479-F3-D9-E560.jpg

If I had any constructive feedback I'd suggest you unscrew the sockets enough to pull them away from the wall so you can paint behind them without actually painting the socket

Yea, definitely should have done that but I was just in the zone and thought I’d try cutting in. I’m going to replace the sockets with some bronze/brass so I’ll tidy it up when I replace them.

Soldato
I’m not sure, but I think they look good. We put picture rails in our living room, so makes sense to have the dado rail I guess…
It’s a 1920s/1930s house so not period but as it’s older I think we can get away with it.
These are our picture rails in the living room.
It’s a pretty colourful downstairs!

19-F5-C1-FB-4-D0-A-4486-AAF4-0479-F3-D9-E560.jpg

Yea, definitely should have done that but I was just in the zone and thought I’d try cutting in. I’m going to replace the sockets with some bronze/brass so I’ll tidy it up when I replace them.
Well if you are replacing then no worries. Dado rails and brass sockets!? You must be my dad's age ;)

Soldato
I got an electric mitee saw from screwfix recently, was only 100 odd quid which I though was pretty reasonable. Has a little led line where the cuts going to be which I was quite impressed with.

Soldato
I got an electric mitee saw from screwfix recently, was only 100 odd quid which I though was pretty reasonable. Has a little led line where the cuts going to be which I was quite impressed with.
Nice one, which model? I got the Evolution 210mm, I think the cheapest. No LED or laser but today it's turned this:

Into this:

This means I can clear the garage out and store the wood in the rooms it's being used for. Asbestos firm coming to clear the garage ceiling out on Wednesday.

Associate
Fought my way into the loft, and opened up previously sealed, and vast voids, above my pitched roof dormers. Found ZERO loft insulation, so figured out why it's so cold in the winter. Also removed a section of plasterboard in the upstairs bathroom to reveal the eaves and void. Also zero insulation! Looks like I need to spend a few hundred (maybe thousand) on insulation before winter kicks in! Also discovered my entire doremr sections have zero insulation between the internal plasterboard and exterior cladding. So upstairs is approx 0% insulated. Hurray!...

Soldato
Fought my way into the loft, and opened up previously sealed, and vast voids, above my pitched roof dormers. Found ZERO loft insulation, so figured out why it's so cold in the winter. Also removed a section of plasterboard in the upstairs bathroom to reveal the eaves and void. Also zero insulation! Looks like I need to spend a few hundred (maybe thousand) on insulation before winter kicks in! Also discovered my entire doremr sections have zero insulation between the internal plasterboard and exterior cladding. So upstairs is approx 0% insulated. Hurray!...
At least that means it's going to get an awful lot warmer! I didn't think our house seemed cold during viewings in December and Jan, but looking at it now we've got keys - the walls are thin and lacking insulation. Hopefully by winter we will have built out some stud walls and added 100mm insulation.

Soldato
Nice one, which model? I got the Evolution 210mm, I think the cheapest. No LED or laser but today it's turned this:

Into this:

This means I can clear the garage out and store the wood in the rooms it's being used for. Asbestos firm coming to clear the garage ceiling out on Wednesday.
I think it's the same, R210sms. There's a little rocker switch. I wish I'd gone bigger, as I used it to cut a 45 degree single on a 3x3 fence post and it go "interesting", had to use a spacer :p .

I've used my dad's manual mitre saw and it's a lot of work, I recently extended a stud wall by about 6 inches (notassive but its level with the opposite wall), and I chopped up some blocks take the frame, so imo it paid for itself then, 5 seconds of cutting vs about 10 mins doing it manually

Soldato
I’d submit a complaint that’s not right. If anything they may pay for repairs. A level 3 is meant to be detailed and suggest causes, remedies and costs not just it’s a bit dodgy. Did you get that ?

Cheers, thanks for that, I looked into it when you first mentioned. We're about to enquire and submit a complaint but been busy working on the house for now.

Had a back and forth with structural engineer a few weeks ago. Broad outcome was "Regardless of adding to it or trying to reinforce, just fix it in place so it doesn't move". Common sense really and he said no calculations needed. We did throw some basic calculations in and evaluate that any additional stud wall needs to be below 1m tall to sit inside permitted deflection. The intended height is 930mm so we're just about ok.

I also met a neighbour with the same floorplan house, who has done all this plus some bricking over of garage/extension at rear etc. He's done more or less the same process, but that is a discussion for another thread eventually!

Soldato
Cheers, thanks for that, I looked into it when you first mentioned. We're about to enquire and submit a complaint but been busy working on the house for now.

Had a back and forth with structural engineer a few weeks ago. Broad outcome was "Regardless of adding to it or trying to reinforce, just fix it in place so it doesn't move". Common sense really and he said no calculations needed. We did throw some basic calculations in and evaluate that any additional stud wall needs to be below 1m tall to sit inside permitted deflection. The intended height is 930mm so we're just about ok.

I also met a neighbour with the same floorplan house, who has done all this plus some bricking over of garage/extension at rear etc. He's done more or less the same process, but that is a discussion for another thread eventually!

Soldato
New shelf

Since putting new racking in garage I have been unhappy about pillar drill and bench grinder -These shelving units are much narrower than old bench so pillar drill was over hanging and had to fix it to back wall with cable ties.
So I had a old sheet of wet ply by trailer so out it came and manged to salvage just enough to make a bigger shelf - I managed to get two pieces and glued and screwed them together so now have a much thicker shelf.
Once bolted and screwed to metal shelf underneath and the back wall it was solid -bit of paint and done.
Also gave the drill a good clean and found out why chuck was vibrating. There is a adjustment screw on side which tightenes up the grub screw against groove in the pillar where it slides.
I might use it more now it feels better - I was working it out earlier - I bought this from Aldi 34 + yrs ago.

u2siityl.png.jpg

DXuk5XUl.png.jpg

Back
Top Bottom