What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Repaired the water damage from a leaking service valve after changing the bottom fill valve on the toilet.

Was bone dry for an hour and usually I prefer to check these frequently and be around for a few days. But on this occasion went away for two days and asked my housemate to check/empty the pot I'd left under, a day later when he arrived home, it if it did develop a leak.

He did say the pot was full and had emptied it... needless to say I had to drill several holes in the ceiling to let the water out. Genuinely wasn't expecting it to leak or I'd have told him how to isolate/shut it off. :rolleyes:

rmzlcs5l.jpg 8iCjBOCl.jpg

Suffice to say I had been over tightening the nut on the service valve (brass necked bottom fill valve or it would have stripped the threads) to stop it weeping before I left. The fibre washer had completely perished which was the real cause.

The nut then split as I was fastening it all back up which then meant replacing the service valve was necessary and then I was watching for leaks on both sides :p

1T5LJpjl.jpg

Soldato
Have to say I put my pee can in the line - We only have one loo now in middle of house so it gets thrown over into field. :cry:

seriously it's for watering plants in pots in greenhouse. We have so many as they are a bargain at £2.99 from Lidl and also the handle doesn't go over the filling hole - It's always a pain when filling as it gets in way of the tap.
:cry:

Soldato
Have to say I put my pee can in the line - We only have one loo now in middle of house so it gets thrown over into field. :cry:

seriously it's for watering plants in pots in greenhouse. We have so many as they are a bargain at £2.99 from Lidl and also the handle doesn't go over the filling hole - It's always a pain when filling as it gets in way of the tap.
:cry:
That does seem to be a design flaw on some of the ones I've seen :p .

Soldato
That's the wildflower section of the garden all levelled and weed sheeted along with the planting of a Kilmarnock Willow tree (dwarf willow) in the same area.

Will leave it sheeted until Sept/Oct to kill off any residual grass and weeds where I will then scatter the wildflower seeds for over-Wintering ready to start growing again next Spring.

It's not a huge area (4m x 2m) but should hopefully look nice when full of wildflowers and help the insect and birds around here.

I also put up a couple of nest boxes in the same area (basically going to be a wild corner) and pleased to note that one of them has been used already as it has a nest in it and loads of little downy feathers (nest was empty when I looked). I'll take them down in Oct to clean and put back up for Winter to allow roosting if the birds want.

The 2nd box had a bloody wasps nest hanging inside the lid. 3 times I had to remove it as the little bugger kept rebuilding it (wide mouthed jar over it and then just pulled jar to dislodge nest -waited until wasp left).

Associate
Lifted 20 patio slabs and cleared crap from underneath as was all dot and dab and inevitably sunk, waiting on sand, cement and sub base to arrived Friday.

Now refilling myself with lager as I was dangerously low.

Soldato
I hate decorating!

Painted the downstairs hall and installed dado rails. Pretty pleased with them. Going to continue the colour scheme and rails up the stairs this weekend. I’ve got a very old manual mitre saw, how I dream of an electrical one!
Going to be changing the plugs, and going to paint the skirting green aswell so not too fussed about the spills..

C989-CE6-C-75-FC-44-DF-AE2-C-C15910-DD4-CCA.jpg

Soldato
I hate decorating!

Painted the downstairs hall and installed dado rails. Pretty pleased with them. Going to continue the colour scheme and rails up the stairs this weekend. I’ve got a very old manual mitre saw, how I dream of an electrical one!
Going to be changing the plugs, and going to paint the skirting green aswell so not too fussed about the spills..

C989-CE6-C-75-FC-44-DF-AE2-C-C15910-DD4-CCA.jpg
Like the colour

Didn't think dado rail was in fashion anymore! But looks good.

Back
Top Bottom