What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
I knew, because plastering is not easy and feathering in holes with plaster to existing walls is harder still, its easier to just skim a wall imo... but easyfill just works. You just dont want your plasterer turning up with bags of it :cry:
I'm on it later today. I've treated myself to a plastering trowel and a finishing trowel. God knows which is which as they look identical :cool:

Permabanned
The bloody lawns needed another cut already, it wasn't long ago `er indoors gave them a chop. Must be all the rain interspersed with sunny spells that has got it going. More of a moss than a lawn, but having had its third cut this year it's perked up a bit. Had to mend the mower part way through, don't buy an Atco like she did, they are a POS.

lawn1.jpg

lawn2.jpg

Soldato
Would it not be easier to marry the skirting board down to the top of the floor than the new floor up to the bottom of skirting boards? To me, and I am no joiner, putting the floor down first would make more sense.
100%. That is the plan... however I am about 6 months (so therefore a year or two :cry:) away from final flooring. So that is a year of me reminding my wife not to smash the bitumen DPC with the hoover :p

Soldato
You stupid boy Pike !!

I can confirm working with ratchet straps and strong springs without work gloves is a no no.

Chris - I certainly hope you have a ride on or tractor gang mower for that small lawn.

Permabanned
You stupid boy Pike !!

I can confirm working with ratchet straps and strong springs without work gloves is a no no.

Chris - I certainly hope you have a ride on or tractor gang mower for that small lawn.

New stiff as hell ratchet straps are a PITA, so are worn out ones, but they have a sweet spot for a while if lightly lubed and kept free of grit. :)

The wife has actually mown the front lawns (there's a fair old sized front side lawn you can't see in those photos) AND the back lawn at least 3, maybe 4 times with a cheap Chinese 18 inch rotary push mower when the damned Atco ride on has been broken. We had an Iseki diesel ride on previously, and Iseki are simply superb, but eventually after 18 years it became worn out, but they are BRILLIANT mowers, albeit expensive. The best part of an acre of lawn mown with a little rotary push mowere demands dedication. It takes three and a half hours with a 48 inch cut ride on. I think it took her about 10 or more hours over two days. (Keeps `em quiet...). :)

Soldato
My man job this afternoon was to straighten up the tilting shed. I already had some ply so loosened it and put more/bigger screws in. Did notice that it had shifted enough to snap the head off one of them:eek:. I used some ratchet straps on the front to straighten it which works well, until I came to put the door back on(at 8pm) and realised the kitchen didn't line up so had to 'persuade it'. Needs a bit more work but that's me done for the day (well afternoon as I started it at 7 thinking it would be a quick job).

Last edited:
Soldato
Operator error on workmans part - with ratchet strap pulling these spring I had gone too far by 1/4" to click hook in holder so had to let slack off - needless to say the spring pulled strap really hard and it unwound from ratchet where the lever spun and wacked my thumb.

It was a typical Oh golly gosh that stung a bit - fortunately when we were young our mom would spit on a hanky -wipe blood off kiss it better and shoo you out again so I have had the right training. No A&E for us old men.

I also had another covid jab this morning so every now and again I would grab my arm and make groaning noises - It's amazing how much tea get bought to me along with choc biscuit and bit of chocolate.

Soldato
New stiff as hell ratchet straps are a PITA, so are worn out ones, but they have a sweet spot for a while if lightly lubed and kept free of grit. :)

The wife has actually mown the front lawns (there's a fair old sized front side lawn you can't see in those photos) AND the back lawn at least 3, maybe 4 times with a cheap Chinese 18 inch rotary push mower when the damned Atco ride on has been broken. We had an Iseki diesel ride on previously, and Iseki are simply superb, but eventually after 18 years it became worn out, but they are BRILLIANT mowers, albeit expensive. The best part of an acre of lawn mown with a little rotary push mowere demands dedication. It takes three and a half hours with a 48 inch cut ride on. I think it took her about 10 or more hours over two days. (Keeps `em quiet...). :)
Careful, if you keep treating her so well she'll think you've gone soft.

Back
Top Bottom