What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Yeah my Dad had both done at the same time. He mowed the lawn the following week.... I am just not keen on jumping straight to Op given I've got reason for it being tricky (lots of heavy manual labour the last few months).

Soldato
Went up to the new house this weekend for a busy one. In-laws wanted to visit and see it for the first time, and sleep over to make access to the airport at 6am easy.

Had to finish pulling the feed for lights in top floor, and reinstate all the switches and new celling roses/fittings. Plus get the floorboards and carpet back down and er, clean the place a bit.

Then today my brother in law came to help me plaster the living room. Had to hurry to get the last few back boxes fixed in, with pipes, and cables pulled up etc. Plenty of small bits of filling and securing, pulling loose plaster off etc. so we could get started ASAP.

Before - Walls had this horrible textured roller finish which my partner hates:

And after:

upload images

Also went along and cleaned up the edge of the coving so it's all tidy and read to paint when we get up there next weekend :)

Soldato
You stupid boy Pike No2

It's wife fault - she asked me to get top off a small bleach bottle so she can fill it up -This is kept in bathroom - I can assure you screwdriver and base of thumb do not mix.

Man of Honour
Following on from the discovered leak, decided to rip everything out and have the room redone. Past few days/evenings with a mate, turned this:

IMG-7368.jpg

Into:

IMG-7530.jpg

Plasterboard wet & mouldy, ply wood wet and mouldy, and the chip board is wet. Debating about taking that out too. That 'does it smell damp in here' question that comes up has been answered. Now have to wait about 18 years for her to decide on colours/tiles etc.

Soldato
That's outrageous you did a full tear out and made a blank canvas without in parallel starting the refit and cursing your way through progress/making an even bigger mess.

Man of Honour
That's outrageous you did a full tear out and made a blank canvas without in parallel starting the refit and cursing your way through progress/making an even bigger mess.
We had no idea what secrets were lurking behind the tiles, so figured we'd tear it all out, measure up, then fit. But I'm not fitting, local plumber is doing that. I can tear out easy enough, fitting is another thing entirely!

Soldato
No external windows. Existing extractor vents to soffit via some questionable insulated tube. It's coming out and we're getting an in-line, hopefully venting directly to a tile.

Nice chance to get some good lighting in (LED and the like) and chose tiles and the like that come alive with colour or decent lighting.

I was thinking more lighting, than extraction. We have a window, but have a ceiling extraction system that works well.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Nice chance to get some good lighting in (LED and the like) and chose tiles and the like that come alive with colour or decent lighting.

I was thinking more lighting, than extraction. We have a window, but have a ceiling extraction system that works well.
There's 3x ceiling LEDs and they're perfectly fine, we've never had an issue with light in there except it's too bright at nighttime, which will be sorted with a mirror with a soft light built in.

Soldato
You stupid boy Pike No2

It's wife fault - she asked me to get top off a small bleach bottle so she can fill it up -This is kept in bathroom - I can assure you screwdriver and base of thumb do not mix.
Was it one of those small screwdrivers too? They're the most dangerous tool I've ever used as they look like a really good tool for prising things apart.

Soldato
Chaps,

Is this just a polyfil job? I stripped wallpaper which had many decades ago been applied to fresh plaster (newspaper indicated 1970 but it seems too pink for that to be true) and sanded off what looked like very old wallpaper, lining paper, and paint.

I'm left with quite a few of these cracks which could have been there for decades or could be directly related to the steamer.

What do you think?

TYPyZDZ.jpeg

Last edited:

FNG

FNG

Associate
Chaps,

Is this just a polyfil job? I stripped wallpaper which had many decades ago been applied to fresh plaster (newspaper indicated 1970 but it seems too pink for that to be true) and sanded off what looked like very old wallpaper, lining paper, and paint.

I'm left with quite a few of these cracks which could have been there for decades or could be directly related to the steamer.

What do you think?

TYPyZDZ.jpeg
Rake them out so there is something for the filler to grip to then easifill (or some lightweight filler like red devil). Overfill and sand back. Lots of dust but easy to do.

Last edited:
Soldato
Was it one of those small screwdrivers too? They're the most dangerous tool I've ever used as they look like a really good tool for prising things apart.

The full business end of blade all 10mm of it. Lucky it went in base of thumb on palm of hand so no moving skin so now it's dried up it won't come apart.:)

Back
Top Bottom