What "man jobs" have you done today?

Chaps, I really need to fix the upstairs flush. I'd put it off on the basis that upstairs was the priority, but then downstairs became the priority.

Is there a way to just replace the flush handle mechanismy bits?

qu4fmjR.jpg

I dug out a planter box made up of 20 upended sleepers, took me forever to get them out and then have to pay a tenner x2 trips to chuck them at the dump :(
had to relocate the soil and sand underneath a paved area and the rear of the garden, then pave the area where the planter box was.
took a few weeks on and off but it's almost finished now, thank god. In hindsight I wish I paid someone do do it :)

@dLockers

Someone else will confirm but likely you just need a flush valve with handle, and a bottom fill valve

something like these:

Push buttons are much more common, but tbh when I needed to fix our toilet flush, I just took a picture of the inside of the cistern, went into Screwfix and asked them for something that would fit what I had. :D

Chaps, I really need to fix the upstairs flush. I'd put it off on the basis that upstairs was the priority, but then downstairs became the priority.

Is there a way to just replace the flush handle mechanismy bits?

qu4fmjR.jpg
Think there was a tv show about that

As to your issue, put a new spyhon in. You are going to need to remove the cistern from the pan to do it. Cistern lever looks very rusty although might still be usable. Fit a Thomas Dudley adjustable syphon.

I put up a shelf and a couple of pictures. I could not find my stud finder anywhere until about 2 minutes after i'd finished (and in a place I'd checked twice already). Couldn't believe it.

Then I helped my wife with the garden by digging out 3 dead bushes and one we just didn't want. I managed to break a prong on my fork, too :(

I put up a shelf and a couple of pictures. I could not find my stud finder anywhere until about 2 minutes after i'd finished (and in a place I'd checked twice already). Couldn't believe it.

Then I helped my wife with the garden by digging out 3 dead bushes and one we just didn't want. I managed to break a prong on my fork, too :(
Listen man you don't need to be so contrived about coming on a man date fork shopping with me <3

Think there was a tv show about that

As to your issue, put a new spyhon in. You are going to need to remove the cistern from the pan to do it. Cistern lever looks very rusty although might still be usable. Fit a Thomas Dudley adjustable syphon.
This really is the cheapest way to fix it, they are only a few £ each. You can replace the fill valve while you there but honestly I wouldn't bother. It is by far the easier of the two to replace and you don't need to dismantle the toilet to replace it.

Given the state of the rest of the internals, if the nuts on the cistern are metal, they'll be rotten and will need to be cut off. I'd get a new clamp it and doughnut washer while you are there as it will probably be scrap as well.

Moved about 4 tons of dirt on Saturday into the new planter beds I built over Christmas. The vegetable garden is already throwing off produce (only planted about 5 weeks ago) so looking forward gettin this all up and running.

Yeah flushes every 50th try.
Looking at the picture it looks like the white lever with wire on the end is touching the syphon so can only do a half movement -
I had to unblock a full to top of pan toilet once and it was that arm -if it is that just unscrew screw and try to move arm further along square rod.

Looking at the picture it looks like the white lever with wire on the end is touching the syphon so can only do a half movement -
I had to unblock a full to top of pan toilet once and it was that arm -if it is that just unscrew screw and try to move arm further along square rod.
I thought you'd cracked it then. Ran upstairs to check mid-call but it is distinctly meant to be like that. Looks like the rubber on the syphon has perished so it doesn't make a good seal.

Flooring finally down, engineered hardwood. O/H living with ply and self levelling for months. We were a little short so another pack needs to arrive and acclimatise etc.

A fairly painless experience with minimal wastage either. Everything we cut we more or less re-used somewhere else.

0y7AMrQl.jpg

To avoid needing to drain and remove the 150kg plus 3 column cast iron radiator, as there was enough play in the feeds, a scissor jack did the trick to lift it just enough at one end and when it came to it I had to hold the other end up with some strapping for underlay and flooring to be slid under. Once the first end came off the temporary blocks and on to the floor the jack wouldn't fit under the other end, nor would my low entry jack either :p

In hindsight, given the weight of this radiator using something solid underneath each foot/end, instead of underlay would place less stress on the floor and also stop the appearance of the floor sagging slightly under the weight of each end. You can see this in the last picture so I'll probably trim the underside of the skirting so it's less obvious.

Cut it fairly fine too with where the right foot positioned itself, though were tied by the width of the room and a minimum width needed on the first/last boards.

XYQfhmWl.jpg GfpgZ31l.jpg

zqP0lHJl.jpg muu57Ajl.jpg

Then cut some shims and matched the pieces as best I could. To be filled with something suitable and subtle at a later date.

RIJkFfql.jpg

EnQ0U7wl.jpg fJKH0ADl.jpg

Yeah flushes every 50th try.

Is it just not lifting enough water to start the siphonic action unless you try again and again quickly?

If so its probably the plastic sheet under the right part of the flush mechanism that lifts the water has worn around the edges or split. These are very cheap to replace (and can be made/modified easily enough) and worthwhile if the flush mechanism comes apart in two pieces without cistern removal as some do, but its hard to tell from the pic. If you do have to remove the cistern to remove then as others have said worth putting in a new flush mechanism and potentially a fill valve depending on whether a full toilet replacement is on the cards at some point.

Back
Top Bottom