What "man jobs" have you done today?

Currently tackling this roof myself which is going well but quite slowly as I’m horrendously scared of heights.

I’ve been using a small scaffold tower which has helped although I still feel a bit sick on it but now I’m at the point I need to go up on the roof itself for the tiles

Great achievement to have done it yourself though. I'm bad with heights so tend to just avoid them. Last summer my new neighbour ended up fixing my 1st floor tile for me, after I asked to borrow a ladder!

Run your lats across the velux openings and leave them in until you need to remove them. It might give you a little bit more security as you clamber around the roof.

Great achievement to have done it yourself though. I'm bad with heights so tend to just avoid them. Last summer my new neighbour ended up fixing my 1st floor tile for me, after I asked to borrow a ladder!

There would be absolutely no chance I'd be going up on the main house roof! I actually did last year then we had scaffolding up to sort out the TV aerial, took all of 5 minutes and I needed a large whisky when I got down.

Run your lats across the velux openings and leave them in until you need to remove them. It might give you a little bit more security as you clamber around the roof.

Good idea! I'm not so bad when holding on to something so I can hold on to the next row until the last row of tiles :p If I had the money I'd definitely be paying someone to do this instead!

Hopefully get the tiles done today and then I can go back to the scaffold tower inside for the windows.

Took old dish down I fitted in 2001 and replaced with a new one (LNB still fine) and got a better meter reading than the first time, due to more adjustments in the new arms with it being right bang tight to the house for signal. I dislike dishes that stick out too far.

Last edited:
Although you've now put on a trim piece, for me the best approach is to fill the frame gap flat with sealant first and then stick some uPVC cloaking profile on. The 20mm x 6mm or 30mm x 6mm trim is especially good at being able to follow larger changes in uneven brickwork and its just decorative as the actual sealing silicone is hidden behind it.

I always do this for uPVC windows I have fitted/fit myself and I've done this on some larger wooden frames as well. It may sound odd leaving some small visible gaps but having replaced windows in every house I've had and trying various sealant/trim combinations this one looks the neatest, never discolours and protects the silicone from sunlight.

I had a length of 25mm quadrant in garage so placed that up and it looked fine so did one side then went out for another length (5m)
Not bad for £4.50. and it certainly looks a lot better

Thanks for the idea -Top man:D

I had a length of 25mm quadrant in garage so placed that up and it looked fine so did one side then went out for another length (5m)
Not bad for £4.50. and it certainly looks a lot better

Thanks for the idea -Top man:D

Glad it worked for you - took me a couple of homes to work out it was the best approach!

Prepared the gate post with holes for the arras rails and planed the post to fit the old post with. Two carloads loaded and unloaded - wood for path sides, slurry mix etc to keep the concrete neat and level, and two mixes worth of sand and concrete. That will get my path laying going tomorrow.. then walked to the local Sainsbury's and got some BBQ charcoal..

Started a job that's been put off for a few years.

We have a garden path that goes up garden and on right is the shed going same way and 7ft further up is wifes greenhouse so between the two is a concrete area and I have a water butt sitting right up to back of shed.

The wife in her wisdom always thinks if there is a empty space it's for her to put things on like big tubs of flower etc so there is no access to rear shed back wall. So it's never been creosoted for years but today she was shifting everything to start another job so I commandeered the back of shed. Butt moved -gutters down - ground swept then with a long spike thing got it under shed and scraped
out all leaves/crap etc and then washed back of shed with strong bleach mixture and got all moss off
Thats it now knackered -do rest tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom