What "man jobs" have you done today?

Started to split some logs to enable me to tidy up around the new log store.

Got 3 or 4 in and almost passed out with the heat

So chucked the splits into the store (easily get 3 deep)

IMG20230521124227.jpg

I know it's extra work moving them about but decided to load the rest of the rounds into the store

IMG20230521130408.jpg

Swept up where they had been on bricks and under tarp

IMG20230521130415.jpg

Moved the bins back under the garage window

IMG20230521130553.jpg

IMG20230521131546.jpg

And took a car load of "stuff" to the tip.to clear the area a bit more.

Just these (and the ones in the other store) to process now .....

IMG20230521131205.jpg

Finally approaching the finish line on the patio I started many, many weeks ago and has went through many transformations and modifications in that time. Pick with one bloody idea folks and stick to it!!

Started to split some logs to enable me to tidy up around the new log store.

Got 3 or 4 in and almost passed out with the heat

So chucked the splits into the store (easily get 3 deep)

IMG20230521124227.jpg

I know it's extra work moving them about but decided to load the rest of the rounds into the store

IMG20230521130408.jpg

Swept up where they had been on bricks and under tarp

IMG20230521130415.jpg

Moved the bins back under the garage window

IMG20230521130553.jpg

IMG20230521131546.jpg

And took a car load of "stuff" to the tip.to clear the area a bit more.

Just these (and the ones in the other store) to process now .....

IMG20230521131205.jpg
So is this for heating, or are you opening a timber yard :cry: .

Yesterday I finished clearing the gravel from the path which runs along the side of our house. There were so many stones. The plan is to create a path which I can use to store bins, bikes, bbq etc.

I haven't done anything like this before but I'm going to give it a go. Next problem, where am I going to put all the soil that I dig out?

I am just battling a similar mental blocker -- I've got half a felled tree, about a tonne of hardcore, and a really uneven bit of land at the back of the house. On one hand - I may build a garden building/pagoda, so maybe just leave it and build over it (rod system). On the other, that is not likely to happen for years. A skip is a big commitment to a weekend of misery handballing the lot to make it cost effective. I might just fill the 40l flexi tubs over the course of several weekends/months and take it to the tip bit by bit. There isn't a rush and I have like 12 of them :).

Didn't get a huge amount done this weekend although I did sort through 12 of the boxes from moving in; so have 2 boxes for charity/re-sale which is good (as it means I haven't just been cycling crap around the shed for no reason/i.e. it was stuff intended to keep).

And sorted the shed out a bit. No idea how this is standing, the left hand side has no corner support (rotted out) and both sides are missing like 3 or 4 lap lengths so weather/rodents will be having a field day :D

vY9Gky3.jpg

Oh, and washed the car and collected another IKEA PAX wardrobe from marketplace (£100 for a 75cm with a few shelves/rails RRP £276). Not the best deal -- I got a 100cm one with drawers and rail for £50 in October. The boot did pop up during the drive to my embarrassment, so we'll see if I was caught on dashcams :D

Last edited:
Digging up the back garden to lay a new layer of topsoil. Current top soil is full of gravel, clay and coal.

Found two pipes and what looks like a soil pipe? One of the pipes is lead, the other maybe iron. Are these safe to remove?

Pipes feeding into the house for current mains supply of water and gas are plastic and copper. Not sure where these old pipes terminate.

aQx1ZOP.jpg

U9cptEO.jpg

If you remove that lead one don't bin it. Cut it into 12" lengths and sell them on ebay as home defence weapon's.
failing that take it to scrappy - lead has good price, :D

I have one of those plastic garden benches with storage under the seat.

It makes a good log store by back door so emptied it this morning -washed and cleaned it then restocked it to brim ready for use in about 4 months time. :D

Grabbed 30 mins during lunch today and bodged my new oven in (Samsung Smart Oven, Series 4 with dual cook). They were on a mega deal on Perks@Work - only paid £330 for what should be a £530 oven. If my brother hadn't been busy it would have been £280! But Samsung realised they'd gone OTT on the discounting. I did want the top end one with pyro cleaning etc but then it started moving into more thoughtful money.

Lucky as the old double oven was battered so we were surviving on the top grill essentially.

Had to quickly fab some noggins and a bit of old chipboard floorboard as a shelf. Will do until I sort the kitchen!

C3Or18w.jpg

oP7P4Pn.jpg

And obviously it integrates into HomeAssistant :D

OguYLc5.png

Reading the manual gives you real FOMO though as there are versions with meat probes that dynamically adjust temp :(

Edit:
Unclear how I coped without this data :D

zZgUjiC.png

Last edited:
Reading the manual gives you real FOMO though as there are versions with meat probes that dynamically adjust temp :(

Got a Series 8 that has one of those probes - it's useful and works but they are only useful if the only thing in that oven is the meat that has the probe in.. if you want to have meat and potatoes roasting then if you want to use the probe you need a second oven for the other stuff or hope that when the meat is cooked, the rest is cooked. It's a way of making you buy two ovens..

My missus has been moaning about having to do the food shop for weeks now so I've told her I'll do it. 6 weeks in and I make it back with the whole shop within an hour. It used to take her over 2....

Now that's a man job if ever there was one! :D

Back
Top Bottom