What "man jobs" have you done today?

Where do you guys buy your spankers, screws, tape and fixing dowels from? Scrim tape I can see on marmox website but no waterproof tape. Preferably somewhere that doesn't rip you off for postage!

@200sols
@dlockers
@Buffman
Ebay. Example here.

I think marmox does their own too. Don't use marmox scrim tape it's not self adhesive.

Where do you guys buy your spankers, screws, tape and fixing dowels from? Scrim tape I can see on marmox website but no waterproof tape. Preferably somewhere that doesn't rip you off for postage!

@200sols
@dlockers
@Buffman
I just tend to get everything delivered on a pallet when doing a build. Either pro tiler tools or pure adhesion.

The marmox branded tape is not worth the cost. Scrim tape you can buy in any diy shop.

Last edited:
In some self imposed scheduling madness (I have booked the capret fitters for just after Christmas and have three rooms to complete) I decorated my daughters entire room in one weekend, including pulling a network cable, panelling, fitting picture rail and decorating. Technically I started on Friday afternoon and finished late Sunday but that counts as a weekend in my mind, still, got it done, man I am feeling it today.... :o

53405439583_8281e465c7_z.jpg

53404334752_edb69d1470_z.jpg

53405692870_b2578dde6c_z.jpg

It was pretty late when I took this picture :(
53405439563_1218e2b294_z.jpg

Last edited:
In some self imposed scheduling madness (I have booked the capret fitters for just after Christmas and have three rooms to complete) I decorated my daughters entire room in one weekend, including pulling a network cable, panelling, fitting picture rail and decorating. Technically I started on Friday afternoon and finished late Sunday but that counts as a weekend in my mind, still, got it done, man I am feeling it today....

Looks good even without the carpet

In some self imposed scheduling madness (I have booked the capret fitters for just after Christmas and have three rooms to complete) I decorated my daughters entire room in one weekend, including pulling a network cable, panelling, fitting picture rail and decorating. Technically I started on Friday afternoon and finished late Sunday but that counts as a weekend in my mind, still, got it done, man I am feeling it today.... :o

53405439583_8281e465c7_z.jpg

53404334752_edb69d1470_z.jpg

53405692870_b2578dde6c_z.jpg

It was pretty late when I took this picture :(
53405439563_1218e2b294_z.jpg
That looks great. Might do something similar for our front room next year. What's the colour called?

Last edited:
That looks great. Might do something similar for our front room next year. What's the colour called?
Thanks, it's farrow and ball skimming stone (modern emulsion is my fav). I know people love to hate FnB but I really like it, it gives a great finish and you can touch it up a year later and the colour always matches perfectly. That whole room had two coats out of a single 2.5ltr tin.

Last edited:
I started tidying the garage but got distracted at all the old stuff i hadn't seen in ages and then sad when i found my old monitor that i had scratched the screen whilst moving it one day, checked on eBay and it's still worth around £300!

Sat down here this morning wondering what to do today - I know "Clean out the drawers" There is one each side of my PC chair -Wooden filing cabinets.
Started on first and thought where did all this come from -So in the bin went bits of paper and small empty plastic bag that very small washers and bolts come in for PC use.
Once junk was gone I looked at what was left - Ahh I wondered where that had gone so looked at it and thought if it's been here that long it's out - No it isn't I might need it - so this is what happened on three drawers. I binned the paper/bags junk and put eveything back but tidy (for a week or so)

My back aches through leaning over and just hope this stays tidy.
Did find a multitool and two lock knives.

Done a deep clean on the range cooker, which is easy as we don't use the ovens, cleaned the microwave, built two new kitchen diner stools and took the head of the Shark vacuum off as it had swallowed a bag.

I finally got around to clipping a couple of fibre cables to the wall following new windows and front door been fitted. It's only taken 4 months or so. I don't like to rush.
S'okay. Ive got 100mm hole saw cutouts in the utlity room plasterboard left over from running ethernet cable through the wall/roof over 6 months ago :D Still got the cutouts laying about, I will replace and skim them at some point!

Managed to do a 15min job in 4 hrs - What a PITA -I was fitting one of the back boxes for Hikvision camera - Easy just drill 4 holes put plugs in and bingo.
The biricks on my bungalow seem to have the face sprinkled with ganite stone when they were made with the result one or two of the marks you make for dilling hole was on side of a stone so drill bit would slide sideways -on top of that the bricks are also hard.
My 18v drills were useless so out came the SDS -once I had a shallow hole in right place it was easy but blow me down it was the worst drilling a hole in a wall I have ever had. (I did it for a liviing fitting things on walls and nothing fazed me) today is a day I hope I never have again.
You have to use the screws and plugs with the kit - Screws have rubber washers (I think they are SS)under the head and plugs were tiny -hole was 5.5mm and one was in morter. in end I had to make a wooden plug for that one. The 4th screw isn't in -the brick just flaked away so it's got a big blob of no nails behind that hole -It is solid on wall though.
I don't like going up ladders anymore. Way to old for it.

I blanked off the old BT socket which is now redundant with FTTP.

The Mrs and I setup the table for Christmas which involved moving a large piece of MDF from the garage to the dining room and cutting it to length in place.

I couldn't lift it on my own and my Mrs is recovering from surgery, so we took it slow and used a trolly. It's all lined up, level and covered. It looks good and completely solid.

Last edited:
Tidied the garage, went to the tip as a good excuse to do a shop for the mrs, and then fitted a CCTV camera to the rear of the garage. Unfortunately I thought I had a PoE injector but it was just a plug that randomly fitted the CCTV camera I had. Ordered a new PoE switch to swap things over tomorrow (y).

Back
Top Bottom