What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Plinths finally in....

JHmKPvo.jpeg

Plinth heaters are game changers btw.
How is the plinth heater noise wise? I've been planning on one but I'm picky about noise. And then today I went back to an old boss's house I used to work at until 2016, was clearing out the garage/workshop I set up. Brought back memories but also I spotted he had a plinth heater - now I know what it it! It was pretty whirry and loud though.

Soldato
Me too. Tree straight in the skip!

frSVxjTh.jpg

Also cleared out the loft. Epic numbers of unnecessary boxes, hoarded over the years.
I’ll be doing similar. Going in the loft to put Xmas decorations back as well as install some noggins for a stud wall. I’ll also be chucking a load of stuff from up there.

Soldato
Just replaced the Bosch wasting machine power/control board after it started having the problem locking door lock/retry and then stopping problem. I have noted the new board has new relays - instead of the 1A the new board has red 1.4A versions. Works.

Soldato
Just replaced the Bosch wasting machine power/control board after it started having the problem locking door lock/retry and then stopping problem. I have noted the new board has new relays - instead of the 1A the new board has red 1.4A versions. Works.
I had a washing machine fail and it ended up being the relays full of dust as they were so old. They were sticky but banging the board around for a while solved it! I don't recall if I ever had to actually replace any relays.

Soldato
I had a washing machine fail and it ended up being the relays full of dust as they were so old. They were sticky but banging the board around for a while solved it! I don't recall if I ever had to actually replace any relays.

I'm tempted to test the relays (they're sealed and the board isn't dusty). Personally I think either they get carbonised or there's a separate sensing transistor, too low voltage level, that's pooched. Eitherway it could be made to work by interrupting the microcontroller as it went through its retries by pressing start - a bit hit and miss which annoyed the wife.

Caporegime
My manly status has been knocked down a peg or two. I quite like flat pack even with the inevitable ups and downs but certainly met our match yesterday. Ordered a hefty Pax modular cupboard from IKEA and my wife, me and mother-in-law spent the first hour building it the wrong way (because it's modular, we built the first part with a left preference instead of right). And on the last/largest section, we built it on the floor, intending to lift it up. We thought we had enough support for it and then snap. All day we spent and only built the 3 cupboards :o:cry:

The unit seems fine and I think a few nails along once side should do the job. A learning experience at least.

Associate
How is the plinth heater noise wise? I've been planning on one but I'm picky about noise. And then today I went back to an old boss's house I used to work at until 2016, was clearing out the garage/workshop I set up. Brought back memories but also I spotted he had a plinth heater - now I know what it it! It was pretty whirry and loud though.

I fitted one in my last home in place of a good size radiator. It was quiet on its slower speed and not really audible at all. On the higher setting the fan could be heard if the room was quiet but wasn't annoying, but given they can put out quite a bit of heat for the size we never felt the need to use it on the higher speed anyway.

As a post of mine a few posts up the only issue is they are fluff and dust magnets so need cleaning out ever so often to maintain output and quiet running. We moved after about three years so I don't know if the fan would get noisy with age.

Soldato
It's reassuringly noisy I'd say. I listen out for it in the AM and go back to bed knowing it's going to be cosy warm in there come wake up time :D

(Edit that's on fan speed 2. On fan speed 1 it's pretty quiet).

It throws heat tho so worth it for several reasons..the kitchen never got above 12 this time last year!

Last edited:
Soldato
My manly status has been knocked down a peg or two. I quite like flat pack even with the inevitable ups and downs but certainly met our match yesterday. Ordered a hefty Pax modular cupboard from IKEA and my wife, me and mother-in-law spent the first hour building it the wrong way (because it's modular, we built the first part with a left preference instead of right). And on the last/largest section, we built it on the floor, intending to lift it up. We thought we had enough support for it and then snap. All day we spent and only built the 3 cupboards :o:cry:

The unit seems fine and I think a few nails along once side should do the job. A learning experience at least.

I feel for you. I had a similarly poor experience this weekend.

We bought two IKEA Ivar cupboards with matching rattan doors from the "Ivar System" range. We got them home, and it turns out that the system range doesn't mean that everything fits together; the doors are about 2 cm too wide for the cabinets in the rest of the system. Completely incomprehensible. So I had to drill new holes for the hinges and cut about 1.5 cm off each door, only to find that I'd cut one a bit too much and now I have three good doors and one funny one.

The wife is going to complain to IKEA though. It can't be right that the components in the "System" don't actually fit together.

Soldato
Recently redecorated the utility room and took down the dryer.

Went to reinstall and looked a bit tatty even with the wooden slats freshly painted so bought / fitted a new rope stay

1000050904-01.jpg

Bought, cut and prepped a new set of ropes

1000050900-01.jpg

Popped it all back together and rehung it all

1000050905-01.jpg

1000050903-01.jpg

Looks a lot better - Mrs is happy, so by default, so am I :p

Back
Top Bottom