What "man jobs" have you done today?

Associate
I've got to get some boards up into the loft, take out some redundant roof spars, board out and then get the Xmas stuff back up in there. Not looking forward to it.
I was going to board out the loft and move the loft hatch into the middle of the landing with my brother, so we will have room for a hatch with a ladder.
My brothers back has gone, so I am getting a quote from a builder first, to see what they would charge.
If it isn't too high, I will just get them to do it.
Loft will be a ballache, as you cannot stand up in it.

Soldato
I've got to get some boards up into the loft, take out some redundant roof spars, board out and then get the Xmas stuff back up in there. Not looking forward to it.
That was my job to do these last couple weekends. There were boards up there when we moved in, but they were on the joists with minimal insulation underneath. I'd raised a couple so I could insulate properly and use them but after having a new roof fitted, figured I should get the rest of the boards sorted so we had more space.

E7Ov8oul.jpg

The next job was sorting the extension half of the house. The previous owners had had it built at some point, but for some unknown reason, hadn't had a hatch put in, despite having a window fitted to the loft. I put the hatch in to get up there and have a look and it turns out they've had it boarded out beautifully, but with only 100mm of insulation which would explain why those rooms are always cold. Now I've got access, the next job is to raise all the boards and put down another load of insultation.

cFU8eUbl.jpg

Now I've remembered how much I hate working in lofts!

Soldato
I know almost nothing about cars but I noticed the engine coolant had dropped below minimum so got some stuff from Halfords and topped it up. The cap didn't feel right when I took it off and the person who was last in there had messed up the o-ring in the cap. Luckily I have a box filled with an assortment of o-rings which contained a perfect match.

Hopefully it holds up, if not I'll grab a new cap off ebay. Tomorrow I need to do loft stuff :(

Soldato
Looks mega @Mason- ... I am following in your foot steps on the external wall insulation now. Didn't get much time on it today, but started the bathroom - thought I'd remove the rad and strip off the wallpaper as I didn't want that stuff sitting between the vapour barrier and plaster.

YLpZ1OK.jpg

Luckily the previous owner was unlike any other I know - so a lot of the walls are spotless. The ceiling in here is perfect too, and had been papered over for whatever reason.

Although, there is a wooden board in the hip...pics tomorrow.....its a bit odd to say the least! I need to strip it back and understand WTF is he hiding lol.

Soldato
Looks mega @Mason- ... I am following in your foot steps on the external wall insulation now. Didn't get much time on it today, but started the bathroom - thought I'd remove the rad and strip off the wallpaper as I didn't want that stuff sitting between the vapour barrier and plaster.

YLpZ1OK.jpg

Luckily the previous owner was unlike any other I know - so a lot of the walls are spotless. The ceiling in here is perfect too, and had been papered over for whatever reason.

Although, there is a wooden board in the hip...pics tomorrow.....its a bit odd to say the least! I need to strip it back and understand WTF is he hiding lol.
Where’d you end up ordering if from by the way? That was the hardest thing, most places want to sell you boards in multiples of 5/6, which I probably would use eventually but have nowhere to store them. I used Trade Insulations, they let you order individual sheets but it’s pricy.

Last edited:
Soldato
Where’d you end up ordering if from by the way? That was the hardest thing, most places want to sell you boards in multiples of 5/6, which I probably would use eventually but have nowhere to store them. I used Trade Insulations, they let you order individual sheets but it’s pricy.
For PIR, I remembered my guy earlier so will give him a call Monday. I normally transacted over Facebook with him but his account has gone. Last time it was £35/board IIRC and £25 postage.

The insulated plasterboard - I only need two sheets, so might pay £70 for Wickes :(

Soldato
I was making a lewd joke, whoosh lol

Lol, whoosh indeed :p
the key part he referred to was "mounting it ".
Like you were so in love with it.

Yes, I see that now.

As one who loves a good innuendo and an opportunity to post a matron or she said gif I am extremely disappointed with myself

Must try harder

That's what .......

:p

Soldato
This is what our place is like. Built 1964, one owner since 1965, it's as if they were so careful they didn't even leave wear and tear. There's evidence that the kitchen and bathroom were renewed in 1994, and all windows have been replaced. But there are 2 coats of paint on each wall and that's it. I'm forced to assume they decorated in 1965 and then again in 1994 and that's it :eek:

Soldato
Started building stud walls. Had to put noggins in but didn’t take photo.

Done the hard part, will sort the rest tomorrow.

First set of studs in, and done the door opening, and my batteries died. Good reason to stop and watch the snooker until they’re charged, then just need to do some noggins.

The side without the door opening will have to wait anyway. It’s going to be a bathroom but not sure which side the door is going yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought some insulation last year and when I got it home I realised it was soaking wet. I managed to dry it in the garage, but it took several weeks (I should have just returned it)

Anyway I finally got around to putting in place today.

Associate
I bought some insulation last year and when I got it home I realised it was soaking wet. I managed to dry it in the garage, but it took several weeks (I should have just returned it)

Anyway I finally got around to putting in place today.
I have several sheets of foam insulation in the roof just sitting on the floor, instead of between rafters for about 13yrs now.

Soldato
Cold but not raining (yay!) Here today so did a bit around the garden, sweeping up leaves etc then cleared the greenhouse, cleaned with jayes fluid, rinsed off, washed down all the planting rings etc

1000051542-01.jpg

1000051543-01.jpg

Glad the kitchen burner has been going all day. Back inside defrosting now :D

Soldato
This is what our place is like. Built 1964, one owner since 1965, it's as if they were so careful they didn't even leave wear and tear. There's evidence that the kitchen and bathroom were renewed in 1994, and all windows have been replaced. But there are 2 coats of paint on each wall and that's it. I'm forced to assume they decorated in 1965 and then again in 1994 and that's it :eek:
I spoke too soon, seems he got into astrology at some point :cry:

EGqSOhp.jpeg

I think whilst the plaster is perfect, this plus another small hole, I'm inclined to overboard and whack tonnes of screws in. It's the original lathe and plaster with presumably a skim added at some point.

I've also chiseled out the window reveal so I can afford 30mm of insulated plasterboard.

Had enough now - super tired!

Soldato
I spoke too soon, seems he got into astrology at some point :cry:

EGqSOhp.jpeg

I think whilst the plaster is perfect, this plus another small hole, I'm inclined to overboard and whack tonnes of screws in. It's the original lathe and plaster with presumably a skim added at some point.

I've also chiseled out the window reveal so I can afford 30mm of insulated plasterboard.

Had enough now - super tired!
I ripped my ceilings down… super messy, and probably not necessary, over boarding is probably fine. I did find some 1950s newspaper from when my house was built though. Inside there was a funny ad of hand cream aimed at women, said something like “…your hands can get really rough after doing all the housework…”, :D different times.

One thing to check, if our houses are of a similar vintage, does the sloped part of your roof have any insulation? Mine had none, just plasterboard, rafter gap, felt and roof tiles. If you’re gonna overboard it anyway, maybe cut a hole that you can stick your phone camera in and see?

Last edited:
Soldato
I ripped my ceilings down… super messy, and probably not necessary, over boarding is probably fine. I did find some 1950s newspaper from when my house was built though. Inside there was a funny ad of hand cream aimed at women, said something like “…your hands can get really rough after doing all the housework…”, :D different times.

One thing to check, if our houses are of a similar vintage, does the sloped part of your roof have any insulation? Mine had none, just plasterboard, rafter gap, felt and roof tiles. If you’re gonna overboard it anyway, maybe cut a hole that you can stick your phone camera in and see?
So I slid 30mm PIR down the rafters around job 1 or 2 when I moved in. This bit here is the triangle formed when they make the corner of the hip tho, so it was completely inaccessible from above. I'll pop what I can in maybe but I don't fancy making the hole bigger I don't think.

Back
Top Bottom