What "man jobs" have you done today?

Man of Honour
lol dude, I hate you and love you for this post. You inspired me to go and quickly fill the gaps. First gun had pretty much ran out of gas so I used a new one. Overdid the top but not without forgetting to pay attention; turned around and big dollops of it came bashing down all of the window handles, surround and glass. Horrid stuff - blew through a tonne of flannels and Sticky Stuff Remover :cry:. All done though!

I am inspired by the PIR stuff as well. What adhesive did you use? Did you then plasterboard to the battens?

I use this stuff as adhesive. https://www.diy.com/departments/soudal-genius-gun-plasterboard-adhesive-750ml/1416342_BQ.prd Surprisingly B&Q are the cheapest place for it, sticks like S!*t to a blanket.

And yes the plasterboard goes on the battens, I put RWA45 in the gaps for extra thermal and acoustic insulation. Just finished hall/stairs, which was fun with 2.7m sheets of plasterboard.

bTQ5wes.jpg

xw6nVpV.jpg

Soldato
Top man, thank you @Orifice. Looks like something I'd love to do but I am toying with full side extension, and then the only uninsulated walls of my house would be mostly window anyway!

I do need to tackle noise in the front room though............so that's a top tip for when I get to the master bedroom.

It looks like you went for full chunk 50mm PIR? I am trying to not lose space so think I'll do the window wall in 37.5mm insulated plasterboard (so 25mm) and the external wall in 25mm PIR. At least then I take the edge off but realise it won't be perfect. It is just a bathroom, though!

Man of Honour
Top man, thank you @Orifice. Looks like something I'd love to do but I am toying with full side extension, and then the only uninsulated walls of my house would be mostly window anyway!

I do need to tackle noise in the front room though............so that's a top tip for when I get to the master bedroom.

It looks like you went for full chunk 50mm PIR? I am trying to not lose space so think I'll do the window wall in 37.5mm insulated plasterboard (so 25mm) and the external wall in 25mm PIR. At least then I take the edge off but realise it won't be perfect. It is just a bathroom, though!

Yep, 50mm PIR and 25mm RWA45. Total added thickness is 87.5mm including plasterboard, removed about 30mm old plaster so just over 50mm total addition. Brings the U value from just over 2 to just below 0.3 so well worth it. Can feel the difference in the rooms completed.

Associate
I think I have found the source of a leak in the central heating system. This has been going on from when the extension was built and a new boiler installed. This has happened on both boiler and heat pump, I thought it was down to a plastic pipe joint under the floor, but nothing was showing on the ceiling below. The small rad in the extention (used by the granddaughter at the minute) keeps getting air in it so I bleed it ,then top up. Today I went round bleeding the rads, mostly fine get to the problem rad and turn the thermostat valve on and off before unscrewing the assembly. Grabbing the threaded ring I find it has just a smear of water on it. Undone it and tightened the valve a bit, now this has been leaking for quite a while but all there is to show for it is a slight brown stain around the pipe. It is either down to the heat of the valve at times or from when I pressurised the system or both(pressure is low at the minute). Never thought to look at the valve, told the wife and she said the stain has been there for ages

Soldato
Fixed a leaking downstairs toilet. Far more of a pain in the ass than it should have been. Replaced the flow valve with one with a brass shank only to find it leaked inside the cistern. Had to take it back, buy another one and fit it again. Cheap Chinese junk.

Last edited:
Soldato
Started this weekend and most the way thru now. Taken me all weekend and just need to tidy up the units a little bit and get the doors onto the front of the wall tv hung unit.

Got 3x hdmi 2.1 cables, ethernet and power pulled up behind the telly.

6 corefix for the tv unit
5 for the telly
14 screws/plugs for the wall panels

uITgQTU.jpeg

3tFTjfr.jpeg

[
15a3AVc.jpeg

mHhrU2i.jpeg

About 10mm clearance between the speaker and the telly.
OPby4xB.jpeg

Now got some doors fitted. My amp fits with barely a couple millimetres to spare!

6dmHsIZ.jpeg

uAF6BFd.jpeg

sDeI7JZ.jpeg

Soldato
@Buffman what unit is that please?
IKEA besta I linked here

Soldato
Looks really good @Buffman , better than I expected - the wood is a bit faddy for my liking but I guess its a fad for a reason!

P.S. get ready to empty all that junk (amp, consoles etc.) and make way for tat.

tX3EIIN.jpg

doors to be fitted but even ~12x 30x30x30 boxes isn't sufficient :D

Associate
My brother and I have been sorting out the gravity fed central system in the family home.

Pulled out all 12 rads to flush.
New circulation pump.
Added an Adey MagnaClean filter.
New cylinder thermostat.
Upgraded to the Tado starter kit (love this kit).

All rads are lovely and hot!

Soldato
Lifted a manhole on our property just to make sure the drains are working as they should. I've noticed some water around the drain but it must be from something else because there was no sign of porridge :D

Associate
Delta T - it's the difference in temperature between the send and return flow of the central heating circuit. The send is whatever temperature your boiler is delivering/set to.
Awesome, thank you.

I am not sure how to accurately measure that. It’s a very old Glow Worm boiler with just a numbers dial to set the boiler temperature. I have set it to number 4, max is 5.

Rads are hovering around 60C. I am using a cheap temp gun to get the reading off the rads.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom