What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Did a tip run so smashed out the old toilet. Thank god that thing is gone! I've also got the bits I need to delete the old bathroom. I removed the waste pipe which left quite a hole, so I've used a house brick and did my first fill with some mortar repair.

Q --- how do I get the yellowy style render that matches the 1930s pebble dash? I end up with grey splodges otherwise!

3eXXdOI_d.webp

State of the old room! Whilst it looks bad, I guess it is much simpler - I will overboard the external walls with insulated plasterboard, overboard the ceiling, throw down some 22mm chipboard, and then it is decorating/carpet.

GnILDz3_d.webp

Got the final green tiles up and the niche sorted - I still need to fill in the gap in the marble (left hand of niche) but that isn't much drama. I might use wood and continue the ledge, TBC.

I am ready to grout and final fix the glass door now...thank god.
How do you and otehrs manage when doing up your bathroom and you only have one in the house?

Where do you take showers etc? In the gym or something?

Soldato
Had a friend come over to help tackle the last few problematic rewire tasks: 3x light switches needed the existing chases widening and back boxes deepening. Drilled for an exterior socket and siliconed the cable/fitted the box outside. Pulled a bundle of cables into the boiler cupboard through some blind joists and similar.

Tomorrow I will be doing a lot of tidying and pulling/terminating all the stuff we demolished today. My neighbours probably aren't very happy we carried on drilling til gone 7pm!

Last edited:
Soldato
Plot twist: You were meant to fit it portrait, not landscape
Lol for 2 giant bottles of shampoo?

How do you and otehrs manage when doing up your bathroom and you only have one in the house?

Where do you take showers etc? In the gym or something?
I moved bathroom from front to back so I've had the old bathroom functionally the whole time (up until last week).

Soldato
Also, top tip when buying a niche - don't assume they are made to a sensible height. This thing is USELESS. Not even the smallest bottle I have can live there.

At what point of buying it, seeing it, installing it, did you realise that even the smallest bottle wouldn't fit.

Was it at that moment, hairnet on, face full of Dove and blindly trying to force the normal sized bottle into a small niche :cry:

Looks like the evenings are going to flyby with distilling all those shower products into handy little dispensers :D

Soldato
So yesterday: mowed lawn, cleaned pond glass, removed blanket algae, re plastered the frost damaged front of the pond - a mix of sand, concrete, 15 minute concrete and SBR to make a fast, sticky, waterpoof plaster that sets and then cures long term. Also did a run around to get the bits in the morning, plus a gate post for next weekend.

Today: cut back the brambles at the back, cut slates to fit beside the pond, laid 20mm gravel, MOT that I had left over and then hand mixed concrete to lay the slabs.

Next weekend it will be tiling and gate post.. I may even put a new gate in.

Last edited:
Soldato
Personally I would do it manually with a metal rake.

It's very compacted heavy clay soil. I dethatched it with a grass rake last year which helped but it doesn't break up any soil at all.

I want to try and disturb the top layer of soil to then mix in some fresh compost/sand and overseed it all.

It does seem silly to buy something just for once a year or once every two years use but it ain't much cheaper buying a good quality metal rake or aerator fork tool.

Back
Top Bottom