What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
I upgraded the front gate - took off the badly rotting slats and replaced with new ones with smaller gaps between. Then put heavy duty hinges on and re-hung it, which led to needing to realign the bolt hole. Fiddly job.. slap dash really.

Then added more horizontal slats to the front fence to stop the little dog escaping.
Then treated all the new wood and painted the wall.

Then I moved my business to the back garden to fit a new tapo camera. This was quite a nice easy and trouble free job to mount to the fascia board directly. I then drilled through from the loft conversion to run a cable for power and ethernet through the eaves to the camera - crimped the wire both ends myself of course!

Tomorrow I want to replace the kitchen led strip and install the new strip in a diffuser channel. I'll also whack a micro SD card in the camera for recording.

Associate
Have an old shed that has seen better days, its starting to rot out a tiny bit under and on the sides. I failed to repair some felt years ago and the roof is also in a bit of a mess. I just need it to last a few more years so i've replaced the roof. Luckily its a 8x6 shed so a piece of 8ft by 4ft standard osb sheet worked great with a little trim. All in all cost £30 for two sheets, £30 for some new felt and nails and that should see this shed out untill it actually needs a full replacement in around 4-5 years. Was a tight git and didn't want to spend out the £450 or so for a decent one since we'll only be here a few more years.

Last edited:
Associate
Had a builder's bag of soil to shift from the drive way to the back garden. Nice and sunny so got to work. 5 minutes later it hammered it down so packed up. A further 5 minutes later it stopped so got back to work. Then on and off again all afternoon.

You could argue I was a sn0wflake and should have just cracked on with it. However my excuse is that I had to lug it through via the kitchen in a trug and didn't want all the mess!

Didn't do my already knackered back and favours and this is probably the only job where in 20 years I'd have been better off with a wheel barrow. I didn't want to buy one just for this and didn't know anyone else who had one to lend....meh!

Last edited:
Soldato
Been burning off old paper and card all day and between doing that have been thinning my giant African grass out, which most would imagine as a 2m high grass, but is in fact 7.3m (24ft) in height and 50mm (2inch) in circumference.

So far have cut around 30 down.

Soldato
I just cannot work this one out and has been so much against the grain, when it comes to TS and Evri for me...

My suspicion is Evri have taken all the non broken parts from the rejected delivery and TS have put a halt to all movements, until an investigation has been completed.

Lucky for me I have the delivery (showing open box leaving Evri vehicle) to our whole conversation and its return to the vehicle, saved from my video doorbell.

Once all settled I'll push for compo

After checking yesterday morning Evri showed package damaged and will return to Toolstation.
Spoke to Toolstation yesterday I had a delivery by Parcel Force today with the added bonus of a full refund and no charge on what I had tried to buy twice previously.

DYVLSwA.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Fitted my gate automation today so I can connect them to Alexa. Ran the sensor wiring on one gate through small bore plastic corrugated conduit. All looks good and works a treat, the system I have even use GPS through the phone app so the gates automatically open when I drive up to the house. Or I can just speak the Alexa trigger followed by 'gates open' whilst sitting in the car or in the house with a nearby device.
At only £85 I think the Remootio system is very good value for money if you've already got electric gates...

Last edited:
Associate
Satisfying expensive but got it installed for £99, glad though looks a tad complicated.

Sorted out under the sink and put a hot water tap outside, very handy for filling buckets to wash the cars.

It replaces Franke Minerva Tap and M-box which was spurting hot water out and wanted resetting all the time, got fed up with it.

GPa1vJJ.jpeg

9IoP6UP.jpeg

bZYyLbn.jpeg

Associate
Quooker is excellent, was very happy with mine. Note, do not use washing up liquid to clean (told my wife several times to no avail until I had to have the ring replaced. Socket positions look a little interesting, not wrong by regs but also not ideal.

Yup kitchen fitter put them there, stupid really could have gone into the cupboard next to it. It was signed off by their electrician who did loads of rewiring etc.

Last edited:
Associate
How much life did you get out of your Minerva?

We have one with an M box, so this is concerning!
Since July 2019, it's still ok to use going to re-fit it all at work.

It's just been a bit temperamental when you reset it to change the filter, just stops working. Then you turn it off and then on, it works ok for a while then does the same.

Just looks like it needs resetting more than it should, which is a hit-and-miss operation at the best of times :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Fitted my gate automation today so I can connect them to Alexa. Ran the sensor wiring on one gate through small bore plastic corrugated conduit. All looks good and works a treat, the system I have even use GPS through the phone app so the gates automatically open when I drive up to the house. Or I can just speak the Alexa trigger followed by 'gates open' whilst sitting in the car or in the house with a nearby device.
At only £85 I think the Remootio system is very good value for money if you've already got electric gates...
A photo https://photos.app.goo.gl/GPw4UDdoEz1X6n5y7
Unfortunately I've found some of the gate is falling apart and the gap between them is no longer even, thus sometimes it doesn't close fully and reopens automatically.
However I can't see anyway of adjusting the hinges.

Soldato
Do you d5 glue or similar the (presumably OSB?) to the roof trimmers?

Im going to do this while I have 3 months of paternity leave in summer but I much prefer reading to YouTube videos :p
I intended to buy 21 2.4x0.6 OSB T&G roof boards (means you don't need to land on joists). Unfortunately I wasn't paying attention and actually ordered 21 2.4x1.2 OSB non-T&G sheets (yes, 60SQM instead of ~30SQM lol). So glued as best I could with 30 min poly glue to each other (it expands like foam as it dries to form a waterproof seal). I glued as much as I could be bothered to the joists but then went OTT with screws.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Got our first pressure washer (Nilfisk 140) and tested it out yesterday. Game changer, especially for cleaning my bike. Definitely need a better foam gun for the car though.

And helped a neighbour clear out a shared green space behind our gardens. Was a urban jungle before and makes perfect space for overspill with a pending party.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom