What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
I was hoping to avoid overboarding this room- the bathroom turned out "OK" but not perfect. Unfortunately the lathe and plaster has failed in the middle so overboard it is...

MiiFS79.jpg

Anyone offer up any techniques on doing it to a hipped roof? In the bathroom I used the track saw to channel out material to enable it to fold - but it still distinctly "folded" along the lines leaving a pretty unsightly crease (future problem for me). This one has the compound "hip" to worry about too. Maybe I will go as far as I can with a single 2.4m board and then patch around it?

Can I use a stud finder to find the studs? It may sound a silly Q but I've never had a stud wall before :cry:

I am not aiming for perfect as ultimately to get perfect I need to pay a pro to come and skim it - and in the fullness of time the ceiling may come down anyway for an extension.

The right hand wall has a pretty rough texture that 60grit hasn't even put a dent into. Do I risk just painting over it? Or should I Zinnsser it first?

Soldato
Couple we're buying from are downsizing into a retirement apartment. As such, they want to leave basically all of their furniture and belongings. In fairness most of it is decent stuff, so not complaining!

Edit - wrong thread but oh well.

Last edited:
Associate
I was hoping to avoid overboarding this room- the bathroom turned out "OK" but not perfect. Unfortunately the lathe and plaster has failed in the middle so overboard it is...

MiiFS79.jpg

Anyone offer up any techniques on doing it to a hipped roof? In the bathroom I used the track saw to channel out material to enable it to fold - but it still distinctly "folded" along the lines leaving a pretty unsightly crease (future problem for me). This one has the compound "hip" to worry about too. Maybe I will go as far as I can with a single 2.4m board and then patch around it?

Can I use a stud finder to find the studs? It may sound a silly Q but I've never had a stud wall before :cry:

I am not aiming for perfect as ultimately to get perfect I need to pay a pro to come and skim it - and in the fullness of time the ceiling may come down anyway for an extension.

The right hand wall has a pretty rough texture that 60grit hasn't even put a dent into. Do I risk just painting over it? Or should I Zinnsser it first?
If the pro is plastering - just butt the boards up. They’ll have beading and will be able to plaster the curved ceiling no bother.

Even if you’re skimming it - it’s not impossible to make it look good!!

I had a go when the pros were doing our loft stairs and it’s surprisingly good when someone shows you how to do it!! Still nowhere near as pristine like.

I still find stud finders very unreliable! Been using small magnet - depending on the screws! However - if you’re overboarding - just poke a hole through with a bradawl/screwdriver and when you’ve found the joists / bearers / battens - however it is fixed - then use that as your measurement!

Bob is your parents sibling.

Alternatively just drive some screws in randomly!! Normally where the cracks are is where the seam is - at least in my experience!

Last edited:
Soldato
MiiFS79.jpg

Id bang some holes in with a drill until you "feel" the studs and mark them all on the wall at once (or you could get long screws and do similar) or just jab saw out small sections but that's dirtier.

If it's just standard 9mm or 12mm plasterboard jusy score out a section as you put it up so it follows the profile.

For the sake of say £400 of plastering I'd definitely get it all skimmed afterwards but I suppose it depends if you know one anyway.

Soldato
Id bang some holes in with a drill until you "feel" the studs and mark them all on the wall at once (or you could get long screws and do similar) or just jab saw out small sections but that's dirtier.

If it's just standard 9mm or 12mm plasterboard jusy score out a section as you put it up so it follows the profile.

For the sake of say £400 of plastering I'd definitely get it all skimmed afterwards but I suppose it depends if you know one anyway.
Hmm yeah I'll get some quotes. There are a lot of Instagram tradesmen around here charging artisanal pricing tho lol.

---

I'm in this villa in Portugal ATM and the tile job is impeccable. Unfortunately they've gone long long on one row, and short short on the next, in the corners. Will be updating my initial TripAdvisor.

Soldato
I watch youtube for trades men being the best at their job - If you watch tiling there are some brilliant tilers out there and they make it look so easy. Non of this fiddle with this or that.

Why are you on here -you are supposed to be on holiday soaking up the sun and looking at the crumpet on the beach.. :)

Associate
I watch youtube for trades men being the best at their job - If you watch tiling there are some brilliant tilers out there and they make it look so easy. Non of this fiddle with this or that.

Why are you on here -you are supposed to be on holiday soaking up the sun and looking at the crumpet on the beach.. :)
hes not on holiday ...hes collecting sand for the next project:)

Soldato
Hmm yeah I'll get some quotes. There are a lot of Instagram tradesmen around here charging artisanal pricing tho lol.

---

I'm in this villa in Portugal ATM and the tile job is impeccable. Unfortunately they've gone long long on one row, and short short on the next, in the corners. Will be updating my initial TripAdvisor.
Pics

Soldato
Finished connecting up the gazebo

Cable stripped back

1000069112-01.jpg

Made off with the gland

1000069113-01.jpg

Wired into the fused spur

1000069139-01.jpg

And without me holding the cables out the way :D

1000069140-01.jpg

Similar process at the gazebo end

1000069150-01.jpg

1000069160-01.jpg

And into the socket

1000069166-01.jpg

1000069172-01.jpg

Tested with an Amazon Dot, which will stay there and four sets of festoon lights daisy chained and plugged in

1000069208-01.jpg

1000069209-01.jpg
1000069196-01.jpg

1000069197-01.jpg

And the solar lights they replaced installed in the greenhouse

1000069220-01.jpg

1000069221-01.jpg

Soldato
Exhausted today after a busy couple of weeks at work. But did clear the spare bed, take the divan halves and mattress downstairs 2 flights of stairs and drive them over to give away. Someone local moving out of temporary accommodation so at least they're being useful to someone. Tomorrow should be mowing lawn, cleaning cars and painting final coat on light switch patches...

Back
Top Bottom