What "man jobs" have you done today?

Seems reasonable. The reskim of 0.7m will take seconds given he'll have all the gear out. Sounds like he's just chatting you half days labour? I imagine he'll want cash tho lol.
That’s what I thought but then I was expecting worse so wanted to make sure I wasn’t looking at a cheap crap job.

Yeah was £180 labour and £70 materials.

I’ll give him the thumbs up and go find physical cash, I use to have some but then the kids apparently need pocket money soooooo

Dismantled & thoroughly cleaned our ten year old super king bed frame yesterday, then listed it on FB marketplace for free, collection only (I even fixed the wonky drawer from my box of IKEA spares I've collected over the years) - then my phone blew up with:
"Can you deliver?"
"Can I come look at it, decide if I want it, then can I have a lift home, since you're delivering it anyway?"
"Have you got a mattress I can have with it?"
"I don't want the bed, but I like that wardrobe, can I have that and can you deliver..."
"I'd prefer it in green. Have you got one in green. Or purple?"

So the Wife and I loaded it into the car after sawing the headboard in half and I took it to the tip.

New bed was a bit of a monster (Super king ottoman divan - 2x 3ft x 6ft6 boxes and a humongous headboard), but we managed to "PIVOT!" it up the stairs and into our bedroom.

It's a lot taller than the old frame, but means I can empty the wardrobe with all our winter bed linen/spare towels & miscellaneous other stuff that's rarely used but still needed and store under the bed in vacuum bags.

We've also gained an extra four inches of space at the end of the bed by losing the old roll-top headboard, so the Wife doesn't keep cracking her shins on the bed frame - so she's already happier.

Exhausted, but productive day (bar the reminder to never, ever use Facebonk marketplace again!)

Last edited:
I've had similar replies trying to sell bits on Gumtree and FBM. Some people don't live in this reality, I swear. For getting rid of furniture we even tried local community/charity places, but even then they have super tight stipulations on the condition of the items. It's understandable, but some of them disallowed anything more than a 'slight discolouration of the wood', and others wanted us to pay £40 for collection.

As much as I'd love to recycle/upcycle stuff, it's not worth the effort most of the time :(

I've had similar replies trying to sell bits on Gumtree and FBM. Some people don't live in this reality, I swear. For getting rid of furniture we even tried local community/charity places, but even then they have super tight stipulations on the condition of the items. It's understandable, but some of them disallowed anything more than a 'slight discolouration of the wood', and others wanted us to pay £40 for collection.

As much as I'd love to recycle/upcycle stuff, it's not worth the effort most of the time :(
i recently took 6 bags of unworn, some still with tags, clothing due to huge weight loss to a charity shop and they nearly didn't accept them because it was Monday and they don't accept donations on a Monday. crazy, i had to show her the tags on the clothes and say are you seriously turning all this down because its Monday

I spent an entire day last weekend clearing out all the duplicate and triplicate (and quadruplate) tools from half of my roller cab and then organising what I had left. I filled an entire orange bucket (from a well known diy store) with them. I also spent around 5 hours weeding as on top of the ground elder, creeping buttercup, green alkanet and horsetail we have, this year I have bindweed and dog rose coming through with some brambles.

All those years I spent watching DIY prog on TV came in handy today especially Blue Peter - I managed to fabricate a new overflow outlet pipe and bend for one of the water butt's -A old pair of Val's knickers and some gaffa tape worked wonder's.

Second job was lift manhole cover down by the road and got wife to tip 2 buckets of water down the loo.
Took a while for it to come through but like a slow stream. We have a level pipe about 12mtr's from manhole by kitchen and it slows everything up so yesterdays logs get knocked off the edge by todays logs -The result is a poo and paper build up so we have got in habit of putting a bowl of washing up water down the loo when we remember.
Seems we left it to long so we put 3 trugs and 4 buckets of water down manhole by kitchen and after a short while it shifted the stuck logs and everything was clear and water running fast.
The joys of owning a old gerry built 70's bungledlow. :)

I have no idea how you end up with a hinge that looks like this, but I couldn't stand it given wider works that have happening that bedroom. Door was flipped to give me a clean start.

mCq5QqB.jpg

JBc5t79.jpg

Today was for a couple of those tedious, fiddly & time-consuming jobs that wasn't really urgent, but needed doing at some point and will make life a little easier....

Added one-way window tint to our north-west facing windows (bathroom & landing), mainly to reflect some of the evening sun that streams through on fine days, but also to give some privacy from the the 3rd floor flats across the way.

Ran an external Cat-6 cable through the wall behind our lounge TV media cabinet for the switch feeding our PS5/Xbox/TV/AV Receiver/Fire stick, then tracked & zip tied it neatly with the rest of the external cables, around to the Virgin Media type cable entry port under my study's window.

Consolidated & shortened half a dozen external network cables running through the wall into my den/study, colour coded each end and added labels for each one (Garden L/R Camera, Parking PTZ Camera, Upstairs Gigabit Switch/WiFi AP, Doorbell/Lounge Switch, etc), then took a screenshot of each IP address for every hardwired device in the house.

Everything is now ziptied & coiled neatly to the POE Switch, then hidden in a D-Line cable box in the corner of the den (with a few run into corner trunking up to the CCTV NVR, PS4 & Xbox in the study, mounted on a shelf above the TV), so the kitties can't chew them.

Everything looks a lot neater and I can now identify & unplug any device that needs either a network reboot (or the internet switching off until homework/chores are finished!) :p

Back
Top Bottom