What "man jobs" have you done today?

Associate
What's best to lubricate a dishwasher door? I did some 3 in 1 but obviously it only lasted a day before it washed off.

Can you get some silicone grease in the applicable part or does it have to be liquid? If liquid then a PTFE based spray lube is good but that will wash off eventually if splashed enough.

Man of Honour
Tightened the cover lifter on the hot tub, took me about 10 minutes to work out how :p

Now the rain has stopped I’ve fed and put bug killer on our topiary style bay trees, seeing as they were £100 I figure I’ll look after them!

Also put some ant killing solution on the nests popping up in the lawn. It’s much better now I keep on top of them as they appear.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Went up in my lovely loft to investigate the electrics for an extractor fan and downlights in the ensuite.

oz1hilEh.jpeg

Jabbed an electrician's rod through the felt (from the loft) where I need the vent tile for the extractor fan to be.

q666Jzp.jpeg

Got the ladder out with every intention to install the vent tile, then chickened out.

Associate
Yesterday on "Man Jobs I Should Have Done, But Life Had Other Plans"...

...my date with the lawnmower was interrupted by a sudden trip to my local A&E, for an emergency CT scan of my wobbly brain. Thankfully it wasn't a stroke, but just a nasty case of Bell's Palsy.

I've now got 2 weeks of antivirals & strong steroids to take, on top of my usual cocktail of meds.

...And I can't seem to find my dog.

(Edit: IT'S OKAY TO FIND THIS FUNNY - I'm laughing...

...my face just can't show it :cry:)
hope you make a good recovery its scary, i had it about 18 years ago thought stroke ended up with an injection and a course of treatment, got ninety five percent back so not bad. only lasting effects were now unable to smile as left side of mouth doesnt move and left eye doesnt fully close so most days if i dont use eye gel i wake up with a dry sore left eye.
but could be worse:)

Soldato
Went up in my lovely loft to investigate the electrics for an extractor fan and downlights in the ensuite.

Got the ladder out with every intention to install the vent tile, then chickened out.

If your ensuite is like the one I've just wired and has no window, put in a humidistat now while you are doing the wiring. That way you can set the extractor to be on for a short period of time to remove farts and jobbie odour but will remain on while the humidity is high after a shower.

Don't blame you with the roof; I don't mind them generally it's the thought of falling off them that gets me wobbly.

Soldato
hope you make a good recovery its scary, i had it about 18 years ago thought stroke ended up with an injection and a course of treatment, got ninety five percent back so not bad. only lasting effects were now unable to smile as left side of mouth doesnt move and left eye doesnt fully close so most days if i dont use eye gel i wake up with a dry sore left eye.
but could be worse:)

Appreciate your kind thoughts - Dad had it last year for nearly 8 weeks (Shingles-related, so antivirals eventually did the trick) - he called it "Paul's Bellsy" due to his first name. Thankfully made a full recovery, so I'm hoping for the same.

I've just finished the course of steroids, but since mine is idiopathic (no Shingles/Varicella virus), they're linking it to yet another symptom of living with chronic Hep-C (from Contaminated Blood products in the eighties).

Left side of my face is still completely paralyzed - can't chew food on that side without biting my cheek or tongue and can't drink anything without a straw.
Left eye won't close at all: eye gel & drops help, but I have to tape it shut at bedtime, so I'm losing more & more eyebrow hairs each morning :p.

My biggest issue is how self-conscious it makes me feel - we went for dinner last weekend and having people stare as I used a knife & fork to eat a burger (more ended up on my shirt, than in my mouth) wasn't fun.

Then I had a bit of an episode in the checkout queue at Aldi in the week when a fat tattooed "TFP" ("Typical For Pompey") thought it would be hilarious to mimic and and mock my slurred speech as I was talking with my 12 year old son, then spoke really loudly and slowly at me, as if I were mentally impaired (which happens now & then just because of the wheelchair).

I'd normally have had no hesitation in verbally destroying the Muppet, but I was so shocked, upset and humiliated I just shut-down, paid for the shopping and got back to the car. My son was so angry on my behalf I just had to hug him until he'd calmed down.

We were supposed to go out for dinner for Father's Day tomorrow, but I'm just not in the right headspace to do it - so I'll set the BBQ up or cook a Massaman, depending on the weather.

Associate
Appreciate your kind thoughts - Dad had it last year for nearly 8 weeks (Shingles-related, so antivirals eventually did the trick) - he called it "Paul's Bellsy" due to his first name. Thankfully made a full recovery, so I'm hoping for the same.

I've just finished the course of steroids, but since mine is idiopathic (no Shingles/Varicella virus), they're linking it to yet another symptom of living with chronic Hep-C (from Contaminated Blood products in the eighties).

Left side of my face is still completely paralyzed - can't chew food on that side without biting my cheek or tongue and can't drink anything without a straw.
Left eye won't close at all: eye gel & drops help, but I have to tape it shut at bedtime, so I'm losing more & more eyebrow hairs each morning :p.

My biggest issue is how self-conscious it makes me feel - we went for dinner last weekend and having people stare as I used a knife & fork to eat a burger (more ended up on my shirt, than in my mouth) wasn't fun.

Then I had a bit of an episode in the checkout queue at Aldi in the week when a fat tattooed "TFP" ("Typical For Pompey") thought it would be hilarious to mimic and and mock my slurred speech as I was talking with my 12 year old son, then spoke really loudly and slowly at me, as if I were mentally impaired (which happens now & then just because of the wheelchair).

I'd normally have had no hesitation in verbally destroying the Muppet, but I was so shocked, upset and humiliated I just shut-down, paid for the shopping and got back to the car. My son was so angry on my behalf I just had to hug him until he'd calmed down.

We were supposed to go out for dinner for Father's Day tomorrow, but I'm just not in the right headspace to do it - so I'll set the BBQ up or cook a Massaman, depending on the weather.
What an absolute tool. Keep going and try to ignore them(hard I know). Your son sounds brilliant, just like my granddaughter with her mum at the minute. She's acting like a proper little mum.

Associate

dont let them grind you down ,theres always one muppet or these days they tend to go around in groups , i just ignore them ,usually get the @@@@ when im getting in and out of my car .... you cant park there its disabled only.....ahh shucks guess thats why im putting the badge on the dash..plonkers

Soldato
Got a fair bit done, between the rain, today

Weeded the gravel bed at the front

Whipped my favourite tool out :p

1000071038-01.jpg

1000071039-01.jpg

(Men at work sign is the tree surgeon's he left it by mistake and I'm making use of it until he collects :D :cry:)

Got the first batch cut down to size, ready for splitting before the rain started

1000071048-01.jpg

Can just see them on the left before the rain started so, packed up, lit the incinerator and had a bit of a burn of various crap in the garage and the offcuts I knew would be coming ...

1000071068-01.jpg

Chippings into the wheel barrow and up to the woodland area

1000071066-01.jpg

1000071100-01.jpg

Then onto the woodland area

Trimmed some overhanging branches to give more light into the young silver birch (then into the incinerator)

1000071129-01.jpg

Good weed of the area (before)

1000071099-01.jpg

After

1000071151-01.jpg

Generated some weeds

1000071111-01.jpg

The last batch of ash had die back but the majority is ok, the trunk section however

1000070431-01.jpg

It's about 5foot long and weighs a ton ...

Manhandled round the back, up the stairs and into the woodland area

1000071152-01.jpg

cleaned up the path edge definition

1000071153-01.jpg

Then swept up the mess made by the birds, scoffing cherries off the trees!

1000071095-01.jpg

1000071096-01.jpg

More than enough for today. Hope the weather holds off so I can crack on with the logs tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom