What "man jobs" have you done today?

Weber put a shift in yesterday! Bullet proof bit of gear. Well worth the cash.

Faj40Ri.jpeg

My wife had the pump out for the paddling pool which is an absolute game changer in conjunction with the chimney starter lol

Is it any good? Reason I ask, I need to build some basic shoe pigeon hole shelf and I'm thinking ply might be the way forward.

I'm using 12mm Beech Plywood simply because I have a load left over from my Marshall amp cabinet build. On the corner joints I would use a 100mm interlocking joint for a little extra strength.

KcesDjR.jpeg

I'm just gluing together a couple of offcuts to make the shelf. I'll use a router to make the edges curved. The shelf will end up making the structure stronger too.

I'm using 12mm Beech Plywood simply because I have a load left over from my Marshall amp cabinet build. On the corner joints I would use a 100mm interlocking joint for a little extra strength.

KcesDjR.jpeg

I'm just gluing together a couple of offcuts to make the shelf. I'll use a router to make the edges curved. The shelf will end up making the structure stronger too.
Hmm I find the edges a bit delicate on this kind of ply. Maybe I didn't have birch before. Can you varnish this?

Hmm I find the edges a bit delicate on this kind of ply. Maybe I didn't have birch before. Can you varnish this?

Ok finding baltic birch is not going to be easy (it's about 5x the cost it was before Russia was sanctioned as the only place is now in Sweden etc). Instead Beech is an option - it's as harder on average than birch. You can do others but that's what I use.

It's only 12mm, but you can get thicker ply. and on the amp I will simply tolex it. For this - I will leave it to the Mrs to paint etc however I would suggest something to bond/seal the edges and wood for long stability.

Usual precautions with ply - face mask etc as you don't want to be breathing in the glue.

I use an old jigsaw to rough cut to length, with a shop vac on it. Then switch to a no4 plane to bring it to the line. For routing I just use a 1/4" bit on a makita trim router for rounding the edges. I just use tight bond because that's what I got (either green or red is good enough for this).

The main issue with ply is getting voidless. The baltic birch was really good for that, the beech was good but I had to hand select pieces for the amp. These were the leftovers hence have some voiding on the edges.

Last edited:
Ok finding baltic birch is not going to be easy (it's about 5x the cost it was before Russia was sanctioned as the only place is now in Sweden etc). Instead Beech is an option - it's as harder on average than birch. You can do others but that's what I use.

It's only 12mm, but you can get thicker ply. and on the amp I will simply tolex it. For this - I will leave it to the Mrs to paint etc however I would suggest something to bond/seal the edges and wood for long stability.

Usual precautions with ply - face mask etc as you don't want to be breathing in the glue.

I use an old jigsaw to rough cut to length, with a shop vac on it. Then switch to a no4 plane to bring it to the line. For routing I just use a 1/4" bit on a makita trim router for rounding the edges. I just use tight bond because that's what I got (either green or red is good enough for this).

The main issue with ply is getting voidless. The baltic birch was really good for that, the beech was good but I had to hand select pieces for the amp. These were the leftovers hence have some voiding on the edges.
Hmm thanks. Feels a bit hit and miss. Makes me wonder if I should just go to MDF!

---

Had a simple job today...to fit the blackout blind. I was meant to fit out the remaining shelves but got distracted playing lego with my 4y/o. Turns out the blind came at the lowest end of their tolerance, and I had given my smallest measurement, so it was very unforgiving. I had to shim out the right hand wall which blew some plaster; so it has created 3 or 4 other steps for me...annoying. But these blinds do work extremely well, and feel very solid.

sPULfS5.jpg

ojYubrE.jpg

Screwed and pinned the top back as it was under compression even after taking off a saws width on the mitre.

f3yjCA9.jpg

It works great tho... just need to finish off the wardrobe and a few other minor snags and it is done forever... thank god.

Tried to squeeze 5 mins of DIY in today... it was all going so well (soffit lights):

yZeyM0j.jpg

Forgot I had doubled up the roof joists....FFS.
KQNxXRe.jpg

(just going to notch it with the multitool).

Just realised as well, my cladding will probably come out a decent amount. Oops. All in all, a fail of a day :cry:

Back
Top Bottom