What "man jobs" have you done today?

After trimming random shrubs in the garden at the behest of the head garden / slave driver known as Mrs TB I was then "asked" to weed the end middle border

IMG20240818140302.jpg

Many nettles, spiky things, snails, slugs and horse / mares tailes later .....

IMG20240818143316.jpg

IMG20240818143313.jpg

Then ended up edging the border on the back lawn

IMG20240818150953.jpg

IMG20240818150923.jpg

IMG20240818150947.jpg

Had enough now :P

Battened out the garden room. Cladding comes tomorrow wooop. Altho it's all in enormous sheets so no freebies, every single one needs cutting :(

QQhOWJ9.jpeg

I've left the top horizontals off until I work out the drip edge I've got coming.

It's such a shame the plasterer messed me around. I'd be on final fix and decorating next week if so :(

I also bought 2 more govee lights for the side, but they wouldn't fit once battens were on so I threw them on the back. Lol to future owner turning these off, they're perm live as they were an after thought.
vJbQjWp.jpeg

I've left 3 or 4 loops in case I want to add more wall lights later on.

Added another one of my sockets inside - this is specific for the deco unit. I may end up boxing this out at some point.
a38DuTs.jpeg

Finally have high speed internet over the entire footprint of the house :D

And found a massive moth in my daughter's knickers.
m0n2jxu.jpeg

Think I'm calling it quits on my bathroom renovation, time to get a man in :( have made progress but it's painstakingly slow and I have other things I need to do.

Question is, will I be able to get a competent person in...
Ok so I've eaten now and I'm not hangry.

What I'm concerned about is dot and dabbing, it looks easy online (as does everything) but even then they use large panels whereas I can see it being a right pain to line up 600x1200 panels, essentially trying to line up 6 different moving parts, level and plumb.

I have done the old fashioned/proper way of dot and dabbing to try to negate this but I've just lost all patience to do it. Maybe I'll sleep on it.

It's annoying doing all the for the first time with time pressure. I took the whole week off to do it and I'm half way through where I wanted to be.

Last edited:
Have been looking online, how the **** do you find someone unless it's someone you k know/word of mouth...
Word of mouth is pretty much the only way of vetting a quality tradesperson - we're fortunate to have a few in the extended family (bricklayers, chippies, plumber & plasterer), who will also know quality people (or rather, who to definitely avoid!).

Check-A-Trade & Facebook page feedback can be faked, as can most other review services.

It's always worth searching an unverified tradie's personal & business names on Facebook, local news & Companies House, as a history of poor jobs, dodgy dealings & court action will often be available.

Watch out for the Turkey-Teeth & Transit-Wiv-A-Bodykit-but-No-Company-Livery types; they're pretty much guaranteed to be "100% Cash Up-Front, For Materials; We Don't Do Itemised Quotes or Receipts, innit."

Started my job to remove all current decking /stones /patio and have one single surface.

All the decking was rotten. It was growing mushrooms in it, had a family of frogs, lizards and a graveyard of snails.

Next up taking the stones and slabs out.

Any ideas why there's a second drain pipe on the left? Presumably I can just put something over this as it isn't required? I was considering stones and a perforated pipe around the house even though the fall will be away from it regardless.

PktZePX.jpeg

rQbPXoq.jpeg

Changing coolant bottle in the car and used needle nose pliers to try moving a hose clamp. Bad idea using pliers near fingers, thankfully part of the finger ended up between the flat part instead of all in the wire cutter otherwise I'd have a chunky hole.
finger.jpg

Changing coolant bottle in the car and used needle nose pliers to try moving a hose clamp. Bad idea using pliers near fingers, thankfully part of the finger ended up between the flat part instead of all in the wire cutter otherwise I'd have a chunky hole.
finger.jpg

Did you say Golly gosh or was it pure french and dancing up the road. I bet that is sore :eek:

Feel your pain Matt. I put a 3mm metal drill between my thumb and index finger pretty deep whilst drilling the garden room CU lol. It was squirting!
Flowing blood I can cope with, squirting would make me queasy! :D

Did you say Golly gosh or was it pure french and dancing up the road. I bet that is sore :eek:
It was very fruity language while hand wringing! It's not too bad at the moment thankfully, pulled it open a bit this morning twisting a jar open, that hurt.

Question for those in the know…looking to have the bath replaced with a shower area (this is a follow up from when the screen door feel into the bath…). Initial estimate from one company says £4-5k which was a little more than I’d hoped for. Will try a couple other local plumbers shortly but was wondering what others here had before.

Back
Top Bottom