What "man jobs" have you done today?

I am brooooooooooooooooken.

Day started slow -
1. Nursery drop-off
2. Coffee
3. Itchy feet waiting for Southern Sheeting; desire to get rid of leftover 5x2
4. Allotment bed! I've got 2 more to make up and then the side return is also clear from random materials. I also have a bunch of fence posts for other "good ideas" that I'll chop up to make a composter. Plan to cover this with weed membrane and call it a day for this year.

vwb2d2p.jpeg

5. I then bizarrely had to go and count up to 11am, as I wanted a FlexiSpot E7 Pro and they do this BIZARRE anniversary sale where codes go live at specific times. Annoying AF. The 50% code was a scam - but I only paid £299 which is what I was willing to pay for the non-pro model. Great success except 4 seconds to "go time" and Southern Sheeting pull up........

6. This was annoying AF. 14 sheets. I mis-cut two, so the neighbour who hates me has a bit of a patchwork on her side :cry:

41VZzrd.jpeg

^ apols about screw alignment [+/- 10mm). I really did try and IRL it is less bad. Now they're up I can go and throw some more fixings in.

7. Then the internet man showed up. I've gone for Lit Fibre mainly because I thought they'd re-run the line as the previous guys did a bodge job across the front of my 1930s brick arch. Idiots. The chap came to "pre-test" on Thursday and said he'd use the existing line and just run it nicely for me. Top man!

8. Random bloke from internet showed up for 3 full sheets of PIR and tonnes of offcuts. Had he follow me down to the garden to pick up as many as he could hold :cry:

9. I then made a start on the nice stuff for the front, but not before fixing the spacing (top batten had sunk back 5mm or so). Drip edge and a long rip got my brain occupied for longer than it should take...

S8ugbiO.jpeg

lW9reQe.jpeg

Then had a text that the chap down the road had people nosing in his garden, so spent the evening locking things up..........bath time now.

Edit: awwwwwwwwwwwwyisssss

jvik5uw.png

Last edited:
Nice one @dlockers have you tried the cuts on the side profiles that need to have an angle cut out? What did you use to cut the sheeting and where did you get it from?
Cheers mate...broken now and back to work tomorrow. Dreading it.

Which bits do you mean? I saw a lad on FB and he sent me some pics. It was quite easy in the end but my head is pounding from the noise and smell.

The corner boards wrap around 20cm for the roofing sheets. It's so forgiving it's laughable. All cuts are covered.

For the bison cladding you just eye it up with a corner offcut. All cuts are covered.

I don't think I'd do drip trim above the door again..I'm not sure it's needed given the canopy and it's made each cut bumclenching as it's visible top and bottom.

Cheers mate...broken now and back to work tomorrow. Dreading it.

Which bits do you mean? I saw a lad on FB and he sent me some pics. It was quite easy in the end but my head is pounding from the noise and smell.

The corner boards wrap around 20cm for the roofing sheets. It's so forgiving it's laughable. All cuts are covered.

For the bison cladding you just eye it up with a corner offcut. All cuts are covered.

I don't think I'd do drip trim above the door again..I'm not sure it's needed given the canopy and it's made each cut bumclenching as it's visible top and bottom.

I meant the side walls which have the fall of the roof, so you have to cut the sheets at an angle?

Where's the sheeting from?

I think I'm going to go for ecoscape rather than bison cladding as preferred the sample.

I meant the side walls which have the fall of the roof, so you have to cut the sheets at an angle?

Where's the sheeting from?

I think I'm going to go for ecoscape rather than bison cladding as preferred the sample.
Ah yeah - it wasn't a problem in the end. I ordered from Southern Sheeting - I managed to swing a Trade account although it seemed they dish out discounts to retail pretty easily so wasn't worth the faff in the end.

They had ran out of 2.4m so gave me a mix of 2.4m and 3m IIRC. Basically every sheet needed cutting as my smallest wall was 2.35m.

I did the big distance first on the rear - just cast off and yolo'ed it. That gives you enough manageable offcuts you can then plan out your sides, as ideally you want a flat to start, and a fat to finish (or at least so the 19cm corner fits nice).

Ended up just measuring and calculating the drop which was 1cm on the front sheets I ripped down to the get the flat, and 2cm on the full size sheets.

I think the best trick was as I said, do your long distance first, then you have like 5 or 6 off cuts you can calc your layout on.

Edit: the whole roofing sheets job is lethal. The track saw can bind and kick back - hold it tight and firm, with a bit of offcut underneath. And the long lengths I ripped down with an angle grinder. Ear protection a must...I did one without cans and I am still ringing.

Last edited:
Ah yeah - it wasn't a problem in the end. I ordered from Southern Sheeting - I managed to swing a Trade account although it seemed they dish out discounts to retail pretty easily so wasn't worth the faff in the end.

They had ran out of 2.4m so gave me a mix of 2.4m and 3m IIRC. Basically every sheet needed cutting as my smallest wall was 2.35m.

I did the big distance first on the rear - just cast off and yolo'ed it. That gives you enough manageable offcuts you can then plan out your sides, as ideally you want a flat to start, and a fat to finish (or at least so the 19cm corner fits nice).

Ended up just measuring and calculating the drop which was 1cm on the front sheets I ripped down to the get the flat, and 2cm on the full size sheets.

I think the best trick was as I said, do your long distance first, then you have like 5 or 6 off cuts you can calc your layout on.

Edit: the whole roofing sheets job is lethal. The track saw can bind and kick back - hold it tight and firm, with a bit of offcut underneath. And the long lengths I ripped down with an angle grinder. Ear protection a must...I did one without cans and I am still ringing.

Ah nice I think i can work out the taper from the roof over hang differential (37.5mm per m). What type of saw blade you use? I only have a circular saw and not a track so was just hoping to keep my hand steady :D (if required I could tie it back to a straight edge.

Last edited:
Ah nice I think i can work out the taper from the roof over hang differential (37.5mm per m). What type of saw blade you use? I only have a circular saw and not a track so was just hoping to keep my hand steady :D (if required I could tie it back to a straight edge.
Ah man I wouldn't dream of doing it with a circ in all honesty. I used a track saw (Makita corded thing I bought at Christmas time). That was bad enough, but perfectly achievable. A circ is insta-death. (IMHO!).

If you've got your battens on level you can just measure from there.

Ah man I wouldn't dream of doing it with a circ in all honesty. I used a track saw (Makita corded thing I bought at Christmas time). That was bad enough, but perfectly achievable. A circ is insta-death. (IMHO!).

If you've got your battens on level you can just measure from there.
Presume you just mean from risk of kick back? /kick out?

Never tried a track saw myself so don't know the difference really.

Presume you just mean from risk of kick back? /kick out?

Never tried a track saw myself so don't know the difference really.
It's a game changer man. Definitely get one. You can get such precise cuts it is extremely satisfying. It worked well for the roofing sheets because of the "undulations" of the material. It locks into the track, so all you are doing is focused on providing forwards pressure.

Edit: I've probs destroyed my blade now tho, lol.

Last edited:
Having the oil boiler serviced today so spent a bit of time making room for him to work - Then i noticed Magna clean and thought i haven't touched this for a few years (not part of service) so put bucket under it and took top off -took magnet out and it was virtually spotless -just 5 rings of black round plastic covering magnet.

Pleased with that - when i first fitted it there was thick black sludge all round stem.

It's a game changer man. Definitely get one. You can get such precise cuts it is extremely satisfying. It worked well for the roofing sheets because of the "undulations" of the material. It locks into the track, so all you are doing is focused on providing forwards pressure.

Edit: I've probs destroyed my blade now tho, lol.
Presume it's just a metal blade you use?

Went to Wickes to get supplies.
Fence post toppers
Paint
Gripfill (which got stood on later and had the end piece snapped off)
Scope out bits for the waste pipes. Though this did not go great as they didn't have much in.

Removed 60 year old skirting from 2 walls; house didn't fall down nor spontaneously combust.
Now in bed with two ice packs on my neck and L elbow and a hot water bottle on my lower back, whilst wife charges the Tens machine.
Absolutely broken :cry:
3 more walls to do tomorrow - send condolence cards FAO The Slave Driver Mrs Redmogg

Last edited:
Removed 60 year old skirting from 2 walls; house didn't fall down nor spontaneously combust.
Now in bed with two ice packs on my neck and L elbow and a hot water bottle on my lower back, whilst wife charges the Tens machine.
Absolutely broken :cry:
3 more walls to do tomorrow - send condolence cards FAO The Slave Driver Mrs Redmogg
You will have to get your wife to do the manly jobs from now on :D

Installed Tado earlier in the week having just moved, including a little wall chasing to make room for a wago behind the receiver. HW fine but CH seemed a bit lawless. Call for heat okay but boiler not firing. Transpires a wireless receiver for the previous thermostat upstairs next to the tank needed attention and the loop closing. (BG WR1).

Many Ring cameras. put-up.

Took down some old kitchen cupboards in the garage, chopped up and taken to tip. Practical garage taking shape with flooring and equipment now in situ and all garden related stuff in one of the many sheds for a change!

HcRlyknl.jpg
kvOFj8Yl.jpg

Fitted outdoor socket which was quite straight forward given there was a run to a pre-existing internal socket on the same wall.

wc0c7Ydl.jpg
WcONmN8l.jpg

Last edited:
Fun little project. I'd have just written the letters and numbers because that tape looks to have taken ages lol.

Edit. My bad. I thought the letters were taped on at a glance. But looking again I guess you template painted? Nice one.
Yeah I just used a stencil, sponge and some wood paint. Only played a few games at the party but went down well, first game against a friend and my 5-year-old niece :p (who stuck to shots of water). Fun little project :).

Back
Top Bottom