What "man jobs" have you done today?

TV gone tonight
I did joke that as I carried it in, lol.

sure you don't want some uplighters in there to make it more cosy for watching tv .. is there a big sofa on it's way ?
(with the office chair it's looking like the sensory deprivation room from Ipcress file )

I am actually quite broke atm. So the Hue lights in the roof will be zoned, and I'll dig through the shed and see what I still own.

Last edited:
The cheapest quote I had was £900 incl materials. Materials were ~£350. The lad who wanted £900 all-in also wanted to use my drill :cry:.
Yeh, they saw you coming.

If the alternative was £650 for effectively a days labour, I would have attempted dry lining myself and biffed off the skim coat.

My old house was completely dry lined and you couldn't tell unless you drilled into it. It's got a better finish than this house which is skim over plasterboard. Break Brittish quality and all that.

Last edited:
Yeh, they saw you coming.

If the alternative was £650 for effectively a days labour, I would have attempted dry lining myself and biffed off the skim coat.

My old house was completely dry lined and you couldn't tell unless you drilled into it. It's got a better finish than this house which is skim over plasterboard. Break Brittish quality and all that.

What's the difference between dry lining and plasterboard? I thought they're the same thing? Don't the edges need to be filled.as a minimum?

Last edited:
What's the difference between dry lining and plasterboard? I thought they're the same thing? Don't the edges need to be filled?
Drylining is where you "tape and fill". It is what the filthy yanks do (and what I did in the bathroom and new bedroom).

There was too much to "sand out" to achieve the finish this lass has done; would have lost days of health + sanity.

I would have been happier to pay £450 but c'est la vie.

As above dry lining is scrim tape over the joints and corners and you fill over with 'easifill' its dead easy to get a good finish. Plasterboard is tapered at the edges specifically for this installation method so you don't get bumps on the wall where you have filled.

Wet lining is plasterboard plus skim coat of multi finish plaster.

The advantage of dry lining is it is faster, cheaper and easier to get a good finish. You can also paint directly onto the boards/easifill.

Wet lining gives a more robust finish but it takes longer, is more expensive and you need to do a mist coat before you can paint.

Had a lady round to skim my garden room. £650 lighter (EXCLUDING MATERIALS!!!). Seems like I chose the wrong job!!!

J1Cqxt7.jpeg

XSupyk4.jpeg

Floor comes tomorrow but not sure how game I'll be to put that down, lol.
Are you sure they were a plasterer that looks far too clean :D. Where is all the muck in the sockets?

You'll be able to tell with a mist coat but looks pretty damn neat to me.

Ps I can recommend the rubi flexi tubs if you need some were the handles don't Snap!

Last edited:
As above dry lining is scrim tape over the joints and corners and you fill over with 'easifill' its dead easy to get a good finish. Plasterboard is tapered at the edges specifically for this installation method so you don't get bumps on the wall where you have filled.

Wet lining is plasterboard plus skim coat of multi finish plaster.

The advantage of dry lining is it is faster, cheaper and easier to get a good finish. You can also paint directly onto the boards/easifill.

Wet lining gives a more robust finish but it takes longer, is more expensive and you need to do a mist coat before you can paint.
Do you use the orange skrim/mesh stuff? When I've dry lined I've used paper and I think it is a mistake. Using the stick on stuff I could just skim over and be done. Not sure why I never thought of that before - kind of assumed I had to use the paper!

Honestly I don't think dry lining is ever as good as skimming. We aren't the 'muricans here and if there's a skill base to do it, get it skimmed.
This is 10000% better than a dry lining job - not least for some of the undulations in the ceiling thanks to the 5x2 settling.

Do you use the orange skrim/mesh stuff? When I've dry lined I've used paper and I think it is a mistake. Using the stick on stuff I could just skim over and be done. Not sure why I never thought of that before - kind of assumed I had to use the paper!

Scrim tape is easier to deal with but the paper gives a better finish, particularly in the corners as you can get a better fold on it.

Expensive sanders but it’s nothing to a tradesperson doing it on the daily. It would also save your back and knees from getting battered.

Honestly I'd pay it after spending probably 6 days sanding off enamel/lead paint with a 125mm Milwaukee RO from my 1930s dining/living room. Definitely taken several years off of my life :(

I can believe that! It's primary a drywall sander but I suppose it's just a sander at the end of the day and it'll be down to the type of sanding disc you use for the job at hand.

Today "we" finished the first coat of paint in the kitchen (one more needed), then put the TV* up on its wall mount, so I can measure cable runs and mark out where I can chase the wall to hide them; only needs a couple of patresses & brush plates - I've pinched a bit of fishing line & small weight out of Dad's fishing kit, to drop down the cavity and (hopefully) in front of the bottom noggin and out of the hole caused by removing the old NTL/NYNEX & BT sockets...

(Please excuse the mess - trying to decorate a lounge/kitchen/diner whilst still using it with three kids on Summer Hollibobs, has been awkward, to say the least!)

Used the dining table as a reference point (as it's only 5mm taller than the IKEA Besta Media Centre), I managed to get the TV bang on centre and just high enough to allow our 3 front speakers (Mordant Short Alumni) to sit under the telly, on top of the Besta units.

Also used the permanent 3M sticky pads to mount the under-cupboard lights, giving us some much needed ambience...

(*TCL 75" C845K - been sat in my study since I picked up a bargain during Prime Day - we already have the previous gen C745K now at the end of our bed. Can't wait to test it out with my trusty Oppo Blu-ray player, on such a well reviewed Mini-LED TV)

Edit: Anyone posting r/TVtooHigh will be given no mercy - it's perfect for our needs

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom