What "man jobs" have you done today?

Yeah what I've bought is more expensive than the one tonne dumpy bags but I had to carry these through the house! (no garden access to my garden as its extended and built over the boundary wall)

I think in gonna do the same and order it in bags for the 5 tonnes of grit sand and cement.

Pretty much the same, but ordered 2 - 1 tonne bags of pebbles and took them through the house 2 buckets at a time (wheelbarrow not possible) + managed to do so on a couple of the hottest days /

Once done you should be more than capable of doing the Atlas stones in a record time :D

my electrics have been tripping for the last week or two intermittantly.

I finally found the issue, a double socket installed in my kitchen cupboard has developed a faulty rocker on/off switch. This socket is used for my dishwasher.

I replaced the socket fascia with a new one and it has been fine.

isjPGFX.png

Last edited:
my electrics have been tripping for the last week or two intermittantly.

I finally found the issue, a double socket installed in my kitchen cupboard has developed a faulty rocker on/off switch. This socket is used for my dishwasher.

I replaced the socket fascia with a new one and it has been fine.

isjPGFX.png
What were the symptoms of this? Did it intermittently trip when you switched it on?

Got a light switch that appears to do the same. Going to swap it with one from another room, but I'm really hoping its that!

What were the symptoms of this? Did it intermittently trip when you switched it on?

Got a light switch that appears to do the same. Going to swap it with one from another room, but I'm really hoping its that!
It was intermitantly tripping - What I ended up doing was switch off all the switches to every socket and turn on 1-2 per day till I isolated the likely cause - the cupbaord switch there is connected to a kitchen red switch on the wall, so I was able to isolate the switch - that red switch did control my dishwasher/washer/and my instant hot tap. So I managed to work out it was one of them, thought maybe the dishwasher was faulty at first, but then checked the sockets and found the dodgy rocker switch. When I flicked it on/off it instantly tripped the house every time, so I knew it was that in the end.

Usually use citric acid powder ... and recently started adding some into washing machine ingredients calgon stuff is exhorbitant.

Dripping shower tap - polemic of bracing the tap body whilst undoing the valve, put in a temporary ceramic valve I had with same depth from kitchen spares,
but handle now offset by 5mm - will buy a replacement now I can see size (why is there no online database that show sizes, they will sell one for the tap but not give you size to buy generic part))

salt erosion on cole and mason - snapped support
some metal work with some stainless sheet I had - tough stuff to hacksaw (maybe there is a better blade for junior)
a better small vice that could hold stuff at the right angle to cut a strip would be useful - any recommendations

image.png

Descale light came on the coffee machine this morning.
Sloshed in a bottle of cheap vinegar. Let it run its cycle. Flushed through some fresh water. Voila.

Make sure you use clear (distilled) vinegar, because malt vinegar can stain parts of the machine. As @jpaul says, I use citric acid because it's safer and the smell and taste don't linger for a while like vinegar does. Citric acid is so safe it's used in sweets, so it's perfectly fine in coffee machines.

Spent the weekend recovering from a night in the children's emergency room, after my middle daughter had a nasty head knock at the skate park (her best friend's birthday). Thankfully she's okay, but Concussion Protocol + Inherited Bleeding Disorder = checking on her every hour...

...this morning I had to shift all the appliances out of the kitchen, ready for our Chippy to continue the flooring:

He's back tomorrow to install skirting and finish a few odds & sods, but otherwise practically finished.

We have the kitchen fitter coming out next week to replace the sink carcass, now the leak has actually been fixed.

Detonated 2 pest smoke bombs in the loft to counter the cluster fly invasion.

I will wade through the aftermath with the hoover tomorrow evening and seal up around the joist on the gable wall where they look to have made their way in.

Detonated 2 pest smoke bombs in the loft to counter the cluster fly invasion.

I will wade through the aftermath with the hoover tomorrow evening and seal up around the joist on the gable wall where they look to have made their way in.
Good reminder. Worked exceptionally well last year. I've only had 2 so far this year but will bomb it just in case.

I repainted the hardware on my garden gate on Sunday afternoon using a couple of year old can of Sandtex black exterior gloss, and come this morning it's sill tacky - is this likely to be down to using old paint? I mixed it well shaking the can and stirring. It's not been especially warm here, maybe 15C to 20C from the morning to evening, but I thought the curing wasn't reliant on heat?.

What do you reckon I should do? Give it some more time, or is there some other trick I can use?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom