What "man jobs" have you done today?

Today I tried my best to fix a hanging rail in out under stairs storage. The is the second part of making this space more usable after putting a big shelf in. Next will be to put some cubbyhole type shelves and some shoe storage but not for a while. The interiors company we asked to plan the space wanted about £4000 for a couple of shelves and a much shorter rail, they couldn’t make their system products fit. So I will take my unsightly DIY, I think I have the right plans but make mistakes and I could not seem to cut very straight for this job. It’s up though, secure, level and doing it’s job.
oyn6wgZ.jpg

Today I tried my best to fix a hanging rail in out under stairs storage. The is the second part of making this space more usable after putting a big shelf in. Next will be to put some cubbyhole type shelves and some shoe storage but not for a while. The interiors company we asked to plan the space wanted about £4000 for a couple of shelves and a much shorter rail, they couldn’t make their system products fit. So I will take my unsightly DIY, I think I have the right plans but make mistakes and I could not seem to cut very straight for this job. It’s up though, secure, level and doing it’s job.

Looks good to me and I doubt it cost £4k to build :o perhaps painting it the same colour as the wall might help it blend in?

Removing the decking around the Youtube builders summer house/shed has revealed that rather than make new supports, he has extended the base of 10cm x 10cm sections of wood and that has now rotten + the blocked guttering did the same to the base on the side.
Only looking at around 3.6m to remove and replace.
Today I've measured up and will be using a trolley jack to raise the corner and then bricking in supports + small lintels off of the old cemented in blocks and adding in small sections of 10cm x 10cm in some area's and then lower the summer house/shed back down.

Lucky the rot did not continue right under the summer house/shed and once cut out will continue to offer a good base.

I had my network switch brake at work so decided to check and do some rewiring while I'm at it.

This meant I had to go up the loft, for the first time in 5 years (if it ain't broke don't fix it). Pulled some plugs out of an extension and it just crumbled into pieces. Jesus was lucky anything could have happened.

Anyway thought it better to make my own extension :). Going to board the loft out now while I'm up there and build a decent rack.

wkWgmqj.mp4

Qc8nLnX.jpeg

9c9KNJ6.jpeg

TmtrNTx.jpeg

vqMMZot.jpeg

That video is crazy! How old was the extension, and was it a cheap one? Clearly made of inadequate materials!!
Going check it again tommorow, pretty sure it was from Amazon, maybe a Masterplug one purchased in 2019.

Apparently I have purchased 14 since 2019 all different sizes and manufacturers.

Going check it again tommorow, pretty sure it was from Amazon, maybe a Masterplug one purchased in 2019.

Apparently I have purchased 14 since 2019 all different sizes and manufacturers.
Scary stuff. I’d be contacting the manufacturer if you work out who it is and send them that video. Whilst it’ll be well out of warranty, you may have uncovered a safety issue they should be investigating. Doesn’t bear thinking about the consequences if you hadn’t discovered that when you did…

Scary stuff. I’d be contacting the manufacturer if you work out who it is and send them that video. Whilst it’ll be well out of warranty, you may have uncovered a safety issue they should be investigating. Doesn’t bear thinking about the consequences if you hadn’t discovered that when you did…
I've had that happen with a plug before. Disintegrate when I was trying to pull it out of a socket. Worryingly your fingers are positioned nicely next to the live and neutral to contact them when pulling a plug out should it fall apart. Always a little more cautious pulling a plug out nowadays. Could be the environment in the loft causing the material to deteriorate somehow faster.

So today I started to tackle the loft which is huge and in a u shape.

Two squirrel dreys and two large wasp nests.

I had to clear loads of old cable out first then was just going to board over, but I couldn't live with myself if I didn't go all out. So up came the hoover to start getting rid of 150 years worth of dust and crap, then a bit of diluted PVA just to seal the job nicely :). Then some new insulation then board over. Then I will be happy job well done.

KK3R7zP.jpeg

3CJNdJp.jpeg

XsiUPeH.jpeg

K4Jjc6X.jpeg

kWKvhGP.jpeg

vuHFRxv.jpeg

SCF5FDv.jpeg

YaiWkWH.jpeg

H52bXPK.jpeg

Good effort. I'd like to do similar in my new (to me) new place. The central area is boarded and there is some "token" insulation up there but not as much as I'd like.

Sooner I do it the sooner it starts paying back I guess. Suppose if I attack the non-boarded sections first using the boarded section as a base camp it won't be too bad. Fortunately, this roof has felt and not hundred year old crumbly mortar torching, so the dust isn't anywhere near as bad as my old place.

Good effort, that was some serious debris up there! It will be a big transformation when done.

Are you planning to raise the boards to get 300mm insulation under them?

Last edited:
Good effort, that was some serious debris up there! It will be a big transformation when done.

Are you planning to raise the boards to get 300mm insulation under them?
Nope not planning to, was going to be a quick fix.

It's a business property not sure what the regs are compared to homes.

Back
Top Bottom