What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
As washing machine died I took the opportunity to gut the utility and put up some stronger shelving but with MDF cupboards this time for storage. I have since primed units with Zinnser Bullseye 123 primer – absolutely brilliant stuff and applies so well with foam roller. Finishing that off will be my job Sunday evening if I get a chance to sand it before but I’m a bit of a perfectionist so I can imagine sanding is going to take me ages. Should give my missus a bit more time to make up her mind about which Farrow & Ball paint she wants.

Also need to try and get some soft close dampers for doors.

(Excuse wonky photo)

While that was all going on I thought I may as well sand, fill and caulk the rest of the utility room, given a coat of satinwood on door frames and skirtings (do another coat tonight) and gave first coat to walls with silk on my previously matt wall (same colour) which was such a breeze, particularly with the small roller. I think I will get away with one coat which is good.

At some point over the weekend I’ve got to pull up the floorboards in my daughters room (above utility) and install some ceiling lights as my spotlight cluster interfered with the cupboard doors – I will probably take the opportunity to run a low profile mains fire alarm there as well as the previous battery one got in the way of the doors as well.

Once that’s done I can then silicone around the bottom of the units and skirting and then apply some more natural stone sealant to travertine flooring.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oops

49D7F67E-0393-47AB-B61C-52A88C871EF2.jpg

Man of Honour
Decked our paved area (3m x 5m) immediately outside the back door. The paving is uneven and unattractive so the previous occupant just dumped tonnes of plum slate all over it. Awful stuff, fine for borders but horrible to walk on and always looks messy.

Did a couple of hours on the frame last night and laid the deck boards today. I'll put some pictures up tomorrow. Never done decking before, I found it quite enjoyable, my DeWalt impact driver and decking screws made it a very painless job.

Don
My project for the last few months, almost finished. I need to wait for the weather to turn so the ground is dry enough to sow grass:

Before: (those fences posts were rotten!)

a3gmj6.jpg

After: (Playhouse for kids with two levels inside, not a shed)

10qaxzm.jpg

Man of Honour
Apparently I've "done such a good job on that decking" that I can build another decked area to put a hot tub on.

50/50 on this..... more work, more money and a much more difficult build to take the 1000kg odd weight vs the Mrs in a bikini or less every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night.... hmmm!

Associate
Not seen slate as flooring before really, I guess its thick slabs and coated on top to stop flaking

1cm thick, they come untreated but we have put something on top to keep the water from staining it. They only seem to flake when cutting or hitting with the 'grain'. So pressure on the top of the tile doesn't seem to damage it.

Don
Apparently I've "done such a good job on that decking" that I can build another decked area to put a hot tub on.

50/50 on this..... more work, more money and a much more difficult build to take the 1000kg odd weight vs the Mrs in a bikini or less every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night.... hmmm!

That's an easy answer. Get building :p

Soldato

Would it not be easier to make up a concrete base for the hot tub and then deck round it?

Soldato
More work on the shed...

That's all the sheeting up, sockets wired in, light switches done (still deciding on what actual lights to put in). The fired a workbench in to separate the wifes / kids side from the side where I get to put all the ****e. Not a great deal to do now, outside has all been finished off, doors finished, roof finished (well, still to trim the felt). Really little more than getting power to it and then filling it.

Then move onto the next project. Get the pool table into the garage, and I can get started on the cinema room.

Soldato
Took down the old PIR security light in my back yard and replaced it with a new one due to the old one constantly flickering when it was activated.

After further inspection of the old one, the white edge of the bulb that holds it in place had a bit cracked off. This was probably what was making it flicker. Doh!

Back
Top Bottom