What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Installed a new built in oven and wiring this afternoon and then took the other plasterboard / tiled wall out of the en suite.

Need a few days off to get everything sorted in this new house but shift work keeps me busy!

Soldato
That was awesome! :D How did the cost compare to buying a ready made one?

Also, was that a 18v DeWalt circular saw you were using? Are they any good?

Costs depend what you look at as a comparison similar size were around the £1000 mark with pressure treated wood at the thickness I used for the cladding.

I went a bit OTT on the frame wood compared to what they would come with but it ended up costing around £600 all in with the roof kit and hardware.

Yes its an 18v dewalt circular, I have the XR kit and I love it. Works very well!

Soldato
£600 is not bad at all for that size. When I priced up for mine the raw materials came to more than buying one, but the place I was buying from only did 20mm cladding, which was overkill and probably what bumped the price up past my budget.

Do you think that saw would cut through 40mm oak worktop ok? I am torn between getting a 240v or cordless, but think cordless would make it a much more usable tool. Just a bit worried if it'll have the power for more demanding tasks.

Soldato
£600 is not bad at all for that size. When I priced up for mine the raw materials came to more than buying one, but the place I was buying from only did 20mm cladding, which was overkill and probably what bumped the price up past my budget.

Do you think that saw would cut through 40mm oak worktop ok? I am torn between getting a 240v or cordless, but think cordless would make it a much more usable tool. Just a bit worried if it'll have the power for more demanding tasks.

The cladding I used was 19mm, I did get it for a decent price from a wood yard as I know someone who works there.

I can only compare to cutting 50mm joists which were damp due to the pressure treatment and it managed fine but with it being cordless if its a tough task you'd just need to go at it slow and it may use the battery very quickly.

The kit I have all use the new slide Lithium batteries and I have 4 x 4ah batteries so easy to swap them out if one gets tired mid cut.

Soldato
My project for the last few months, almost finished. I need to wait for the weather to turn so the ground is dry enough to sow grass:

Before: (those fences posts were rotten!)

a3gmj6.jpg

After: (Playhouse for kids with two levels inside, not a shed)

10qaxzm.jpg

Looking good Chris :D

Now you're an expert on this you can help me with my back garden:p Not sure about the play house in mine, yet :D.

Soldato
Moving on with the shed. Kinda. Put in a a shelving unit on my side:

Doesn't fit under the window ledge though. Grrrrrr. Will have to move all the spare bits of wood from the other side, and put the shelves up the back wall instead. Not all bad though. At least that's one side sorted. Costco special though. Went in for prawns, came out with shelves and steak.

The wife has been cracking on with the girls side of the shed though.

Their own wee worktop, and soon to be fitted kitchen for playing with. Sink mounted so far.

Shady shelving put up...

More storage...

And a place to hang the cleaning utilities.

For being 1 and 3 they are pretty spoiled. Stealing half my shed... They love it though.

Man of Honour
3m x 2m decking done to cover what used to be a nasty attempt at a pond.
Hot tub moving up there tomorrow night when the stain has dried.

Every time I do a job like this I'm reminded of how much I love my DeWalt XR impact driver and drill driver.

Back
Top Bottom