What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
De-Christmas'd the flat - tree down, external lights removed, internal lights removed, tv stand returned to normal

Organised the garage - Removed loads of junk, scrap metal and rubbish from the garage and taken to dump, moved the kids drum kit and rocking chair to my parents loft as no storage space left, sold weights bench and weights for £40

Went round with paintbrush - touched up living room walls of any kid/wife scratches and scuffs, hallway, kitchen and bedroom.

Moved pictures from hallway to above sofa in living room making it much cosier.

Soldato
Cut some seasoned ash boards on the band saw then planed them on the planer thicknesser to 3/4" thick ready for next stage in a shaker stool I'm making.

Something like this (quick searched google image of something v similar).

Caporegime
De-Christmas'd the flat - tree down, external lights removed, internal lights removed, tv stand returned to normal

Organised the garage - Removed loads of junk, scrap metal and rubbish from the garage and taken to dump, moved the kids drum kit and rocking chair to my parents loft as no storage space left, sold weights bench and weights for £40

Went round with paintbrush - touched up living room walls of any kid/wife scratches and scuffs, hallway, kitchen and bedroom.

I need to do most of that, especially the paint touch ups! Good time to sell weights by the way...

Associate
YAAAAAS. finally fixed my water hammer / aeroplane taking off noise when hot water is drawn. Turns out it was the utility room tap. I replaced it today...and hey presto. a year of head scratching gone.

Associate
Cleaned everything above the waterline with some nasty chemicals and a lot of elbow grease ...

An indication of the 'before'

And after...

Anti-fouling everything below the waterline in a few weeks time...

Soldato
Heath Robinson is now my bestist friend.

414107272.jpg

414107271.jpg

Just waiting for backup for the rest.

UP Date

Washer is now out - there was a lot of rust on left hand panel so it's up the tip next - Ordered a new Zanussi last night and this morning tiled where it's to go.

Should be easier getting it in as looking at Youtube all you need do is spray the floor with Pledge polish and it slides in with one finger. I also believe in fairies.

Last edited:
Soldato
How ****** big is your house!

Over the weekend i intended to do lots of jobs i've been putting off and did all but the actual important ones.

Unneeded jobs done include

Changing a light switch which made a flicking noise
Changed a few GU10's which flickers
Ran some wires to add extra plug sockets in the shed (not actually connected yet
Bled radiators
Cleared out a gutter

Necessary jobs avoided

Fix kitchen windows sills
Seal around the shower
Paint damp bits in the kitchen
Fix a very slanty wardrobe to a wall
Dig out a load of soil to make more room down the side for the bins (the path is only wide enough for 1 bin, so the front bin blocks the others in which is a pain in the bum!

Basically i avoided anything which would take more than 5 minutes!

Soldato
I'm hoping that someone passing with a bit of plumbing knowledge can enlighten me.

Can someone explain why this item, https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-ft33-flexible-waste-pipe-white-32-x-320mm/86148, describes itself as 32mm, but is in no way 32mm?

I have existing push fit waste pipes. The OD of the pipe is 35mm. I am trying to connect these to a 32mm waste pipe for a new wash basin.

Now the link above describes the item as 32mm; push fit one end, compression on the other. However, I have measured this item and the push fit end is in fact 35mm and fits into my existing plumbing, and the other end is in no way 32mm compression. A 32mm pipe I have does not fit at all. It is loose. The 35mm pipe I have also does not fit. It is loose as well. The ID is of the compression end is more like 36mm.

So what on earth is going on?

Soldato
not sure...

Pipe measurements are usually OD (outside diameter), hose is usually ID (internal diameter).. Could it be that?
There is also often confusion as pipe is nominal and wall thickness causes differences of measurement whilst hose is actual.

I could be making this all up, but my brain thinks its right. Not a plumber.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wouldn't be the first time with Floplast - these were larger than 50mm when I bought them:

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/floplast-ws24-solvent-weld-equal-tee-50mm-white.html

not sure...

Pipe measurements are usually OD (outside diameter), hose is usually ID (internal diameter).. Could it be that?
There is also often confusion as pipe is nominal and wall thickness causes differences of measurement whilst hose is actual.

I could be making this all up, but my brain thinks its right. Not a plumber.

I went to Screwfix to try and sort it all out. They were very helpful and gave come to a solution. I still don't understand why. But 32mm push fit pipe doesn't measure 32mm internally or externally. So why it is called that I do not know. Same with the fittings.

It turns out that my 35mm pipe will fit into the 32mm compression fitting of the item I linked to with enough tightening. And the bottle trap I'm trying to connect to must not be 32mm. It must be an even smaller fitting size (god knows what), despite the OD of the pipe being 32mm. But, with a bit of sanding down, my 35mm pipe will probably fit into the bottle trap compression. So I'm gonna bodge it that way.

Soldato
My wife saw a lighting display she liked in a magazine, but there was no way I was going to pay a four figure sum for what amounted to some nice looking flex and bakerlite bulb holders so I made my own. She's pleased so that's all that matters:

IMG-1856.jpg

IMG-1854.jpg

IMG-1855.jpg

Soldato
Yes that looks lovely, I like these new fancy pants decorative bulbs

The copper topped and bottomed ones are just ikea. The rest I think she got from Amazon. With that many bulbs in one place the biggest problem was getting sufficiently low wattage/lumen ones she liked the look of. It took two goes - first time it was like we’d turned on floodlights in the dining room!

Associate
ripped out the old loft hatch that had 1 inch gaps around letting all the heat out of the house. replaced with a manthorpe GL250 insulated door (on sale currently @ screwfix) hopefully that will help a little still got to top up the insulation to 300mm from its current 100mm

Back
Top Bottom