What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Replaced the porch light fitted 12 years ago. Planning to sell in the next few months and it was a contemporary metal one which had rusted and the clear perspex had started to yellow.

Can't really knock it for £10 from Screwfix.

Slabs by the door both need re-bedding or potential buyers will end up in the bushes when trying to step inside :p

2CrEwn4l.jpg

Soldato
What made you DIY it? I thought tiling you always left for a tiler.

In a previous bathroom I got a tiler in but this one I had a bit more time and did another small tile projects practice behind me.

Today though I realise I've made a bit of a balls up with the vertical setting out in the niche. I realise that there would be a slither at the bottom of the niche so there's a couple options

1. Keep the slither at the bottom
2. Do what Ive done as indicate and run it full height in the niche (loses the grout line)
3. Fill out around 20+mm and bring "up" the niche so the bottom is flush with the tile

Not sure if it's worth doing option 3.

9J4iPit.jpeg

ONt6CFF.jpeg

M9kG1Xx.jpeg

Z3EvZ0N.jpeg

Here's the example one I have upstairs, think I may manage to get my mitres a bit tighter than previous.

S6qrUBp.jpeg

Soldato
@Buffman If that was me, I'd do full pieces inside the niche rather than try and change the niche itself or have a slither.

It can look deliberate imo as some people prefer solid pieces inside niches.

Or change to mosaics?
Full pieces as in the way I've done it? Aye I think it looks OK cheers.

Not a big fan of mosaics and I like the big piece at the back

Associate
I have one or two of those safe places. Wife says why don't you put it where you can find it - "I HAVE" but forgot.

Usually it is right in front of my nose and I remember it was yellow - when i find it- it's red :o
That's how I ended up with 2 mini weber bbqs. I put the first one in 'the safe place' and spent about 1 month looking for, bought another. This time, I thought, I know where I can put it so I wont lose it. Went to special place I wouldn't forget, moved a box aside, and there was the first mini BBQ.

I of course told my wife immediately......

Associate
Was quite happy with my shower fix over the weekend. Replaced the solonoid :) - total cost of fix was £10 for the part. I think i saved at least £50 call out fee plus whatever a someones hourly rate is.

Associate
Fixed my Karcher k4 - plastic part leaking.
Only to drop the insides forward on the floor and snap the on off switch spindle.
It now lives permanently on when plugged in.

Associate
Removed some of the old central heating pipes from the loft and airing cupboard, just got to disconnect a cold feed pipe that wasn't shortened to the new system(low pressure to high pressure)

Last edited:
Associate
Added some more CAT6 runs so I no longer have to trail a long cable across the floor. Ended up having to go through two walls to avoid a steel so bigger job than I would have liked.

Soldato
OP
Hey guys. I have a bathroom mirror cabinet which is recessed into the tiling so replacement is not going to be easy both because of the potential damage I will do getting it out, plus it is 400 x 800mm as opposed to other more common sizes it seems. I have contacted manufacturer to get a replacement front door but I don't hold much hope as it's old and we got it with the house. Seems to not be made anymore.
Anyway...
I want to replace the front mirror door because the bottom edge of the mirror has done the classic de-silvering thing, where moisture has got to it and the backing starts to show through horrible looking black spots. If I can't get a new replacement door, do I have any other options? I've seen videos on youtube of people resilvering mirrors by pealing the backing off with chemicals and then pouring new chemicals over it to resilver it. However, I would think it easier to just get a new piece of mirror/glass made for me instead?
However, complications...
- The current mirror door seems to be a two piece job with 2 bits of mirror glass with a backing layer sandwiched between them.
- It's probably quite heavy.
- The "mirro" hinges appear to be the type that are bonded onto the back of the mirror door with some kind of adhesive applied at factory? Maybe this is why it's a two piece I don't know.

Any advice?

Front:
GnkFRvtl.jpg

Backside is the same:
y2Rlpx0l.jpg

End on showing the sandwich construction:
fefd7jWl.jpg

The hinge. This is not a screw going into or through the glass. That bit does up onto an underneath metal plate with a lip to secure it to.
21vQLOul.jpg

Soldato
Cleared the lounge for the decorator starting tomorrow

Before

1000053987-01.jpg

1000053988-01.jpg

1000053989-01.jpg

1000053990-01.jpg

And after

1000054060-01.jpg

1000054008-01.jpg

1000054006-01.jpg

1000054007-01.jpg

Cannot believe how much stuff there was in there and how many rooms ha e now got "stuff" in Them due to one room!!

Left the settees in as simply nowhere to store them, sure he can sling some dust sheets over ....

Soldato
Hey guys. I have a bathroom mirror cabinet which is recessed into the tiling so replacement is not going to be easy both because of the potential damage I will do getting it out, plus it is 400 x 800mm as opposed to other more common sizes it seems. I have contacted manufacturer to get a replacement front door but I don't hold much hope as it's old and we got it with the house. Seems to not be made anymore.
Anyway...
I want to replace the front mirror door because the bottom edge of the mirror has done the classic de-silvering thing, where moisture has got to it and the backing starts to show through horrible looking black spots. If I can't get a new replacement door, do I have any other options? I've seen videos on youtube of people resilvering mirrors by pealing the backing off with chemicals and then pouring new chemicals over it to resilver it. However, I would think it easier to just get a new piece of mirror/glass made for me instead?
However, complications...
- The current mirror door seems to be a two piece job with 2 bits of mirror glass with a backing layer sandwiched between them.
- It's probably quite heavy.
- The "mirro" hinges appear to be the type that are bonded onto the back of the mirror door with some kind of adhesive applied at factory? Maybe this is why it's a two piece I don't know.

Any advice?

Front:
GnkFRvtl.jpg

Backside is the same:
y2Rlpx0l.jpg

End on showing the sandwich construction:
fefd7jWl.jpg

The hinge. This is not a screw going into or through the glass. That bit does up onto an underneath metal plate with a lip to secure it to.
21vQLOul.jpg

Personally I would remove the doors and take them to a glazing/mirror place who can likely make duplicates up to just swap over.

Back
Top Bottom