What Next for 2020? Volcanoes of Course!

Man of Honour
New fissures opening up around the initial one in Iceland - judging from the level of activity building up to this a good chance of a much larger field of volcanic activity opening up in the area with potentially little warning - I'd be a bit leery of visiting the area on foot.

Soldato
There are regular tests of warning sirens, and procedures for earthquakes in Mexico, so the people generally know what to do. More of an issue is the shoddy building construction even in decent areas. I was living in CDMX relatively recently, we had regular tremors. I was more surprised by poor quality of a lot of most buildings. It wouldn't take much to do some serious damage. The electricity setup too was beyond a joke, so I can see plenty of places losing power. Looks like Roma Sur in CDMX went dark despite this quake being Pretty far away.

Soldato
Over 6,000 tremors/earthquakes in the run up to that one. One of the few Canary Islands I haven't visited due to its position up wind. The government has had plenty of warning, and people were packed a good few days ago ready to leave if necessary. Not expecting any drama unless some of the volcanos on the other islands decide they fancy a pop too.

Don
OP
Over 6,000 tremors/earthquakes in the run up to that one. One of the few Canary Islands I haven't visited due to its position up wind. The government has had plenty of warning, and people were packed a good few days ago ready to leave if necessary. Not expecting any drama unless some of the volcanos on the other islands decide they fancy a pop too.
Is it the Canaries where there’s a volcano threatening to collapse into the sea and potentially causing a tsunami that would wipe out the eastern seaboard of the US?

Man of Honour
Surprised it erupted so soon as there was no land deformation to signify a magma build up

I saw something on the news recently about that - how some new discoveries mean some of the bigger volcanos potentially can come to life in a very short time without the warning signs traditionally thought would happen but I can't remember details. (EDIT: Only thing I could find https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidb...per-eruptions-supervolcanos-remain-dangerous/ unfortunately can't remember where I saw about it)

Nothing indicating the landslide at La Palma is likely due to the current events but who knows.

Some indications Kilauea might kick up again but only a bit of grumbling which might not lead to much at the moment.

Cumbre Vieja looks like a lot of pent up pressure still under there - wouldn't be surprised to see a bigger eruption.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom