What Restaurant did you eat at last night?

Soldato
The River House Inverness - Went to this place last night for the first time. It's a smaller place than I expected but was nice and cosy on a cold night. I had:

Steamed Loch Appin mussels tossed with Savoy cabbage and smoky bacon in a local ale cream sauce

28 day extra matured Scottish rib eye steak, fine green beans and aspargaus served with Béarnaise sauce and chunky hand cut chips

River House cheese board served with oatcakes, chutney and fruit

The food was very well cooked and well worth the money, definitely somewhere I would go to again.

Associate
Couple of places the wife and I have been to in the last few months.

Byron in Westfield. As far as I'm concerned a poorly executed GBK. The Byron burger was ok but once drinks and sides are added into the mix I just felt it was over priced.

GBK in Windsor. Never had a bad burger in the Windsor branch. Taxi driver burger, onion rings and a strawberry milkshake, plus half my body weight in monkey nuts whilst I'm waiting.

Our local chef and brewer pub. Had a buy one main get one free voucher. I've always liked our local chef and brewer pub. The food is excellent for the money you pay. The waiting staff are friendly and it's a nice cosy atmosphere.

Jamie's in Reading. A restaurant that is trying to be something and is failing miserably at it. Overpriced food which is ok at best. I would not recommend Jamie's to anyone.

Hawksmoor seven dials. Excellent excellent excellent. We started with the Potted Beef & Bacon with Yorkshires and Roast Scallops with White Port & Garlic. For main we shared a 900g Chateaubriand steak, beef dripping fries, roasted mushrooms, creamed spinach (the only thing I probably wouldn't order again as it was a bit watery for my liking) and bone marrow gravy. Pudding came in the form of a salted caramel and chocolate torte and a ferrero rocher sundae. Many cocktails, brandy and rum was drunk throughout the meal.

I'd really recommend the Hawksmoor.

Soldato
Went to Hudsons Bar and Grill last night in Bath.

I had tempura prawns to start and a 16oz Porterhouse with truffle parmesan fries.

The batter on the prawns was a little greasy but still very tasty, the prawns themselves were massive and also very nice.

The steak.... OMG the steak. Medium Rare, cooked perfectly, tasted incredible with a little bernaise sauce to accompany.

I really recommend Hudsons if you are in Bath and fancy steak!

Soldato
I went to Drakes in Ripley, Surrey, for a Saturday evening meal. The menu consisted of 2 choices at the weekend; a sample flavour journey (6 course) and a sample flavour discovery (9 course including starting tasters) tasting menu, of which we chose the discovery menu with accompanying wine flight.

To start with, we were presented with a selection of tasters. I can't recall them all now, although they did include a duck heart which was very nice.

The menu:
Quail, Rhubarb Gel, Fois Gras, Compressed Lettuce

Scallop, Sea Broccoli, Oyster

Monkfish, Pumpkin Yolk, Crisp Mussels, Alexanders

Clay Baked Cauliflower, Raisin Puree, Curry Oil

Venison Loin, Wasabi, Jerusalem Artichoke, Plum Sauce

Tunworth with Salt Baked Celeriac, Granny Smith, Almond

Chocolate Breakfast

Pear cooked in ‘Beurre Noisette’, Goat’s Milk, Hibiscus, Crystalised Vodka

Every course was cooked perfectly and really really nice. Rather than pick out a favourite, it is easier to say that the least interesting course was the clay baked cauliflower which was nice, but couldn't match the flavour combinations of the other courses.

It was £80 for the food, and an additional £60 for the accompanying wine flight which included some interesting combinations (lesser known grape varieties). Most worked really well but a couple weren't particularly fantastic. We arrived at 7:30pm and left almost 4 hours later. The service was ok but a little slow. This did mean there was plenty of time for each course to go down, but empty plates were on the table a little too long.

It was a really good meal in a lovely restaurant, but perhaps the service could be a little quicker next time.

Soldato
GBK in Windsor. Never had a bad burger in the Windsor branch. Taxi driver burger, onion rings and a strawberry milkshake, plus half my body weight in monkey nuts whilst I'm waiting.

Love GBK. We went last Tuesday. Choc milkshake, onion rings, chilli and garlic mayo (x2), Habanero burger, skinny and thick fries. Wow. I think it's the onion rings that just top it off.

Every time we've been to the Nottingham branch it's been excellent. It's not cheap for a burger (though I'm sure there are plenty more expensive places!) but it is the best I've had. Service is always good too.

Want to try Annie's in Nottingham too. Gotta love a burger.

I went to Drakes in Ripley, Surrey, for a Saturday evening meal. The menu consisted of 2 choices at the weekend; a sample flavour journey (6 course) and a sample flavour discovery (9 course including starting tasters) tasting menu, of which we chose the discovery menu with accompanying wine flight.

These always sound so good, but my wife is particularly fussy and just wouldn't eat the vast majority of dishes on these menus. :(

Soldato
Byron - Leicester Square - Last Friday

Recommended by my sister who lives down there and boy was it worth it!

Staff were friendly, attentive and not annoying, the prices were reasonable and the food was sensational for something soo simple. The Byron Burger was cooked exactly 'Medium', tasted out of this world (I eat far too many Burgers :D), chips were tasty and crunchy and the batter on the Onions Rings was perfectly fluffy and crispy.

Total cost was about 37 pounds for 2 Byron Burgers (inc cheese + bacon) with chips, a portion of onion rings and 2 drinks each. Bargain!

Man of Honour
Chez Bruce
Crostini of raw razor clam and scallop with tarragon, hazelnuts, pea shoots, avocado and fennel

Photo stolen from web, looked identical though, as you would expect
photofeb24114140.jpg

Brill with garlic and pernod butter, mussels, potato gnocchi, sea kale and samphire
photofeb24114549.jpg

Pear and almond tart with clotted cream
Stolen pic from web
photofeb24114646.jpg

Wine recommended by the extremely knowledgeable sommelier

The nicest red I've ever had, will have to try and source some bottles, full bodied yet smooth and just a bit of spice. Great recommendation. I usually don't like whites really, but this was also extremely tasty.
photofeb24114747.jpg

photofeb24115541.jpg

9/10
The food is absolutely fantastic, service was great. Friendly and not to serious. We had a very early table and it did feel rushed. When we booked we were told we had to be clear by 9pm which was no issue. I think it was more to do with the fact it was quite so the kitchen didn't have much to do. would have been good if they paced it out a bit, without prompting as we did with the dessert.
The desserts were unbelievably good, they must have a master pastry chef. Compared to La Trompette which is my go to comparison restaurant. The starter and main were neck and neck. However Chez Bruce certainly won on desserts. Sommeliers are neck and neck. However I do prefer the atmosphere at La Trompette, it's slightly darker, feels more cosy and about half the size, which I think makes the most difference.
All in all a spectacular evening and not to pricey (depending on your definition)
3 courses for 5, 2x aperitif, 3 coffees, 1 beer and 2 bottles of wine £380 all in.

Just got to reiterate their desserts, omg. I normally much prefer starters, then mains then desserts. But these desserts.
Also tried the cream brûlée, Caramel and hazelnut mille-feuille & Dulce de leche stracciatella ice cream or grapefruit sorbet easy to overlook that last one, but by God that ice cream. They are also well knowen for their cheese board, and I often go for the cheese but am glad I didn't. Although I still want to try their cheese board.

Last edited:
Soldato
I went to Red Dog in Hoxton Square with the guys.

I had the "Bar-B-Q" burger (applewood smoked bacon, american cheese, onion rings, bbq sauce and red dog sauce) with fries. Burger was cooked to perfection. Recommended if you ever just fancy a good burger.

Staff were friendly and very helpful too. We were ordering pitchers of beer and we ordered another one of Amstel once we'd eaten and it tasted a bit funny. Manager came and asked us about it, offered a refund for the pitcher on the bill or any other pitcher of beer we wanted. Heineken it was.

Soldato
Went to Meat Mission last week - the last name in the Meat Wagon/Liquor/Market venture.

Basically the same as the others, although a better location for me, bigger venue than the others and you can actually book a table this time round.

Better beer on offer than their other restaurants. Best improvement to the menu is the Monkey Fingers! Mini chicken fillets covered in an amazing light batter and completely drenched in Buffalo sauce. Oh geez. They're unbelievable. :eek:

Soldato
Fyre Steak in Earlsfield.
Great piece of fillet steak cooked perfectly (along with bearnaise sauce, chips, spinach and french beans). It's always great to have good local restaurants to go to, and I've been here about 5 times in the last 18 months. Every time the steak has been great. It may not be quite as good as Hawksmoor, but it's a lot better value for money!

Soldato
Balmoral One, Edinburgh.

Decided to give this place a whirl, was unable to get a table at Castle Terrace (I phoned on Wednesday looking for Thursday) so went for the Balmoral instead. It's my second Michelin Starred place, with the Kitchin being the first.

On arrival into the hotel I was sent down into the basement, and met at the door of the restaurant and shown to my seat. It was quite an opulent room, and a lot more sophisticated than The Kitchin. Much more my style to be honest, but my girlfriend was a bit put off with it.

Service was very attentive, and professional with a couple members of staff willing to have a bit of a laugh and chat. The sommelier was very friendly and helped me select a bottle of Pavilion Rouge. One day I'll be brave and buy a proper Chateau Margaux...
She wasn't that impressed with the wine (thankfully - as it meant most of the bottle to myself) and so stuck to Bollinger.

Food:
I had - Sauté Foie Gras, Peach, Gingerbread, Truffle

I'm not a huge peach fan, but was promised that it wouldn't be overpowering and too peachy. And it wasn't, gave it a nice freshness. It was very, very nice.

Followed by - Borders Roe Deer, Skirlie, Beetroot, Blackberries, Pea Purée

Beautiful. I'd have this over beef any day of the week. Cooked medium-rare, as suggested by the waitress. I'm more of a bleu-rare man but she assured me this was the way to have it. It was succulent, sweet, delicious and I wanted more.

Desert - Cheese. Decent cheeses, nothing that set me on fire but I was getting a wee bit ****ed by that point.

She had:

Scallop, Glazed Chicken Wings, Cauliflower, Garam Masala

She's a woman obsessed with scallops, and these ones didn't disappoint. "The best ones I've ever had" were heard coming from her mouth.

Followed by:

Beef Sirloin, Tongue, Shallot Spelt Risotto, Aubergine Puree

She was pretty worried about the inclusion of tongue, but did think it was tasty but wasn't able to finish the tongue because she's a tad squeamish. I happily tucked into it and it was beautiful. Steak was cooked rare (she's learning!) and was delicious.

I have no idea if she had a desert, I was in the throngs of passion with my bordeaux and port at that time!

Retired upstairs for a couple of cocktails before getting the last train back to Glasgow.

A very good night, and an extremely good restaurant. It's not casual dining, and you'd probably need to know what to expect to get the most out of it but I'd highly recommend it as somewhere to treat your good lady to.

Soldato
Ahleckz - we were there on Saturday night too!

I had exactly the same as you. Agree about the cheese, the Comte was in poor condition, Sainte-Maure was much better.

I was really unhappy with Somellier mind. Don't get me wrong, lovely bloke, and I warmed to him quite quickly, but I wasn't happy in the end: I'll explain.

I was initially directed to a South African, which I declined, as I often prefer old world wines when out for dinner, and I like to experiment with new world when at home (so not to make an expensive mistake!).

We eventually decided on a bottle of Chateau Poujeaux, 2003. Sadly none was available. He did suggest that he had found a better bottle which would suit. He selected a Chateau Beaumont 2008. We felt obligiated to accept really, which was silly, but it had taken so long to sort the wine choice out, I felt I couldn't send him back to select another wine.

Anyway - he said that it was his issue the cellar was not properly stocked, and he would charge us the same amount as our original choice, even though the new bottle was 'significantly more expensive'.

Turns out you can buy the replacement wine for £13 a bottle, and he charged us £60 - appaling behaviour. Our original choice retails at approx £30.

Soldato
It was actually Thursday I went. Just took a while to write the review. Shame about the wine. I tend to avoid looking up prices of wine at home for that very reason. Hope it didn't spoil your night. I wouldn't rush to go back but would happily recommend it.

I think my next Michelin star trip will be to gleneagles.

Soldato
On Saturday night I had the pleasure of eating at La Vie – a three-star restaurant in Osnabrück.

We had 'Le Grand Chef' seven course taster menu with wine and I have never had anything like it in my life… It was incredible.

I'm writing this on my phone so won't go in to too much detail but check out the website. The English translation is pretty poor but the pictures speak for themselves.

Back
Top Bottom