What Restaurant did you eat at last night?

Soldato
Saw a job in Basel, thought, that sounds interesting... actually tagged the interview on to the end of a holiday out here and they offered me on the spot.
Lived in Switzerland for a few months and then moved outside to France because the family and kids moved over and we wanted them in French school, not international school (at 50k a year, each).

We're pretty flexible, but there's nothing to stop you doing anything. Nothing is forever so take all the chances you get.

/back on track

get me a job plz :)

Soldato
I was taken to Pollen Street Social for lunch yesterday, and what a lovely lunch it was. It's located in Pollen Street, just behind Regent Street, and has a good size dining room. It got a little noisy at the peak of the lunch sitting, but it wasn't too bad.
I wasn't paying so decided to go for the set lunch menu which was £27.50 each for 3 courses...
Starters
Jerusalem artichoke soup, braised smoked duck leg, celeriac puree, nuts and seeds
Lime cured mackerel, horseradish cream
Slow cooked egg, chorizo, "patatas bravas"

Mains
Roast Cornish hake, olive oil pomme puree, lemon conserve, orange grenobloise
Pork belly, spiced cheek, apple mustard puree, tender stem broccoli, lardo potatoes
Beed featherblade, onion Lyonnaise, red wine sauce

Desserts
70% bitter chocolate pave, orange ice-cream, kumquats
Coconut panna cotta, mango, pistachio oil, pineapple & kaffir lime granite
Selection from the cheese board

The amuse bouche consisted of salted Sicilian green olives, puffed pork crackling, and cod brandade. I don't eat olives but I did try one of these, and it was ok. It wasn't as strong as some I've tried but I'm still no fan. The puffed pork crackling was amazing as almost all crackling is. The cod brandade was nice, spread on some of the lovely fresh bread.

I chose the mackerel to start. It's a new favourite of mine having had it for the first time this year at both The Glasshouse and The Square. It was beautifully presented; two thin fillets of mackerel, with lovely light and creamy horseradish, char-grilled cucumber, and thin sliced beetroot. A really lovely fresh dish and a great combination of flavours. Both the other dishes looked lovely and tasted very nice according to my lunching partners.

For the main, I couldn't resist the pork belly. Lovely soft and juicy, with not too much fat but plenty enough to give that lovely belly flavour, and the spiced cheek provided a second taste of pork along side the belly. Of course the apple mustard, broccoli and potatoes went perfectly together with the pork. A very nice dish indeed.

The best part of the meal was the dessert experience, as we were given the choice to go up to the dessert bar and eat there. This is where they prepare the desserts and we thought it was a great idea. When we got there, they gave us a few pre-dessert desserts :). The first was a selection of sorbets; mango, pineapple and coconut. They were all lovely, but the pineapple and coconut were my favourites. Second came a glass with raspberry sorbet at the bottom and cream cheese above that, then with green tea powder sprinkled on top, with a final topping of tiny frozen raspberry pieces. Mmm mmm mmm.
Having made a coconut ice cream recently, it has become a favourite flavour of mine. So for my dessert proper, I went with the coconut panna cotta. It was actually a white chocolate and coconut panna cotta, with small cubes of pressed mango and pineapple jelly, pistachio oil and pistachio nuts, and lime granite (sort of frozen lime ice). I loved the tropical flavours and the creamy panna cotta, it was a really good dessert.
We were probably at the dessert bar for at least 45 minutes, chatting with the chef (a nice chap from Australia who had worked there for 3 months). He was very friendly and more than happy for us to distract him to talk about the desserts as he prepared ours and others. The main kitchen is off to the right of the dessert bar and is glass fronted, so I spent ages just watching the chefs at work. A perfectly smooth operation through a very busy lunch time. That 45 minutes was as good as any experience I've had at any restaurant.

I didn't pay, but I'm guessing it was just over £200 for 3 people including service (which was very good). That includes a bottle of wine at £59, the wine list was quite pricey.
We all really enjoyed it and we're planning to go back sometime before Christmas. I have some photos of our meal which I may add later.
If anyone does go there, definitely try to get up to the dessert bar!

Last edited:
Soldato
Just back from Barcelona, which was awesome. Had loads of nice tapas, but while there went to Lasarte with the family. Did lunch, as thought the kids might make it through easier than a dinner. Since they're 4 and 7 we thought they might get a bit bored and not eat anything that there was, but they were fantastic throughout.

Anyway, here are some pics:

529f8e6a239f11e2bb2312313810469e_7.jpg

The menu for the day...

54d261e4239a11e2b10e1231380fca44_7.jpg

8213e100239a11e2bf8022000a1fbe54_7.jpg

This is the butter! Salted, tomato, spinach, mushroom and beetroot. It was really really nice.
c122f944239a11e298dc22000a1fc2d3_7.jpg

Foie and smoked fish
eb676fa0239a11e2a1b122000a1f9702_7.jpg

Gazpacho and cockle
10b1a262239b11e2896422000a1fb003_7.jpg

Tuna tartare
6ce8e158239b11e2bccc22000a1f8cda_7.jpg

Oyster
9a599466239b11e2bacf1231381b7ccd_7.jpg

The kids both had the lamb, which was in their words, divine!
da671484239b11e2a3aa22000a1f97a4_7.jpg

2cd75daa239c11e2a7d622000a9e298f_7.jpg

83df5314239c11e283e622000a1fb86d_7.jpg

d2308e84239c11e2af0122000a1fbc9e_7.jpg

116bb6c8239d11e285b022000a9f15de_7.jpg

6b7b9d22239d11e2b9d422000a1fa429_7.jpg

Zach's cocoa cake pudding.

a3c44dbe239d11e29e6f22000a9e2992_7.jpg

Brook's souffle
e98fdbec239d11e2b41b22000a1f9a15_7.jpg

Pigeon was so tender

327f0a1c239e11e2ba8122000a1fc2ee_7.jpg

Dessert 1, sans sauce
8c8af1b0239e11e2949722000a1f90e1_7.jpg

With...

c10b39d6239e11e2b46022000a1fb37a_7.jpg

Dessert 2. Best french toast ever.

06aadece239f11e2ae9122000a1f9aa7_7.jpg

Petit fours.

It was an exceptional meal. Did the matching wines as well, which were perfect with the menu. Service was impeccable, food was amazing and setting was again, just faultless. Chef came out and was talking to us, really nice guy and all round great experience.
They said that they never have kids there, ours were the first for years, which is nice to know and they enjoyed it.
It was fairly expensive, but since there were 4 of us, we had tasting menus but the kids had mains and desserts, it came to about 530 euros, or something like that. Either way, it was well worth the experience.

Soldato
That's great that you took the kids, and that they enjoyed it. Nice that the resturant supported and encouraged them. You do worry at times, if children are actively discouraged from attening some fine dining restaurants, which is silly in my book

Soldato
It's a tough toss up as well, for example we took them to a 1 star place near home, which they liked, but don't always take them as it soon ups the price ha and it depends on the situation.
For us though, we didn't want to miss out on visiting this place while in Barcelona, just because we had the kids with us.

Soldato
That place looks amazing QuickLink. I'd be happy just eating all that butter!

Went to Galvin La Chapelle last night. Decent, not brilliant, not certainly not bad. Went for the A La Carte option, seared breast of red leg partridge with glazed plums and then Loin & faggot of Denham Estate venison, pickled red cabbage, celeriac purée & spiced pear with their Valrhona chocolate ganache to finish. Service was ok, the waiter advising on the wines was well off the mark though.

He looked like he was about twelve and was very insistent on telling us what to order, which were the good years and how best to pair everything. I know the basics about wine, but I was with several family members who are wine buffs (and wine traders) and we'd just come from a wine tasting event! The poor kid seemed to get most things wrong and looked pretty embarrassed when my uncle very politely corrected him on almost all the dates!

Soldato
That's a shame Tosh, when I was at La Chapelle, it was good. Had the tasting menu and our waiter(s) was really good. Knew when to bugger off and leave us alone, which is really important.

I certainly wouldn't significantly fault the place - the Gigondas we went for was lovely - and the food was very decent, but I just felt the whole experience was a tad incongruous. Felt the stripped back building (more or less just a shell) was more fitting for a basic-styled restaurant as opposed to quite an elaborate endeavour and that the service seemed a bit inexperienced.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, as both the partridge (which I'd not eaten before) and the venison were both as good as I expected them to be.

Off to Chez Bruce next - they've got a very good offer out at the moment and the ladyfriend is treating me for a change!

Soldato
Went to Hawksmoor Air Street tonight.

First time I've been to a Hawksmoor and wow wow wow.

Went for the 300g fillet which was a bit small actually, should have asked 400g. Also had the potted beef as a starter and ice cream for desert.

Yes it's quite pricey but well worth it for special occasions :)

Definitely lives up to the hype.

Soldato
So, went to Jamies Italian tonight in Norwich.

Started off with some cocktails. I had the Twisted Orchard cocktail. Had a bit too much mint I think. Gf had a something fizz. Pomegranate. Hers was girls but tasted quite a bit nicer.

For starters we had a meat plank and a bread selection. The bread selection was nice, but was arguably not anything special. The meat plate was good though, and rather nicely the chef came up to us and served it and talked us through the whole plate.

Then as a main, the Gf had some stuffed pasta, it was called honeycomb three ways. Pasta, stuffed in three different fillings. Spinach and ricotta, tomato and basil and a pumpkin one. She was particularly fond of the pumpkin. I rather boringly had their spaghetti bolognese, which was nice but could definitely have done with more meat.

For desert we both had a chocolate and raspberry brownie with ice cream. Frankly I'd have had the whole meal just for the desert. It was particularly nice, and I'd highly recommend it if that's your kind of thing.

Overall, the food was actually pretty nice, but I felt the menu was arguably slightly small. There wasn't really a great selection of stuff. For something that was dubbed Italian, I didn't feel that there was much Italian stuff on it. No pizza if any kind and arguably quite a small selection of pasta dishes.

That said, the food that was on the menu was very good, and the service was some of the best I've had.

Worked out about £30 ea for a three course meal and drinks.

kd

Soldato
Went to Hawksmoor again on Saturday and destroyed most of a 1kg porterhouse along with triple cooked chips, mac and cheese plus bone marrow gravy. Also had a cracking Rioja - can't remember what it was but it was a 1999 vintage and seemed great value at £45.

It's never a cheap meal there though!

Soldato
36 in the Quay

The nearest 1-star restaurant to us in Southsea that I could find. Went for my girlfriend's birthday and had a stunning meal, despite turning up an hour late. :o

Here's what I had:

Starter said:
Pork compression accompanied by pumkin, pickled mushrooms and radish, fresh herbs, mushroom powder and miso

Main said:
Quail breast and confit legs with savoury perogi, pickled cheltenham and sliced orange beetroots, hazelnut grapes finished with creamed celeriac and a quail reduction

Dessert said:
Iced Peanut Parfait – Coated in crisp chocolate, accompanied by warm mini butterscotch doughnuts with a smooth coffee foam

The Mrs. had:

Starter said:
Scallops, diced and pan seared on creamed fresh crab with sugar snap peas and chestnut mushrooms finished with a shellfish gratin

Main said:
Veal loin baked in hay and compressed veal breast with wild nettles, mousseline potato, roasted savoy cabbage heart and a caramelised onion sauce

Dessert said:
Deconstructed apple pie and ice-cream

Everything was top notch (as you would expect), the only thing that wasn't absolutely perfect was the nettles with the veal breast. They were very strong and earthy and overpowered the veal a touch. However, they certainly didn't spoil the dish. :)

Soldato
I ate at Bistrotheque in Bethnal Green last night. I thought that the fish and chips I had were incredible, and the batter was very light and not greasy which is something that I have a phobia of.

The prices were quite reasonable, and it was rather cool eating in what was once a factory or warehouse.

Soldato
I ate at the Crooked Billet in Stoke Row last night, just outside Henley on Thames. Easily the best gastro pub I've ever been to, and not that pricey; on par with The Hinds Head in Bray. Highlight was the main course, Venison with Haggis and Figs.

Soldato
Royal China Club, Baker St.

We just had Dim Sum, and ordered quite a lot...the service wasn't that good to be honest, and you would expect it to be up there when they are charging you 15%!

Food was decent, and nicely presented, but service really wasn't up to scratch, and the food wasn't cheap either, so I likely wouldn't return.

Food: 7/10
Service 5/10
Atmosphere 7/10

Soldato
I ate at the Crooked Billet in Stoke Row last night, just outside Henley on Thames. Easily the best gastro pub I've ever been to, and not that pricey; on par with The Hinds Head in Bray. Highlight was the main course, Venison with Haggis and Figs.

Been there numerous times over the years and have never disappointed.

Planning a trip to the slightly further afield, but very well recommended, 2 star Hand & Flowers in Marlow after Christmas - http://www.thehandandflowers.co.uk/

I can also recommend in the area, though you will probably know them -

http://www.potkiln.org/
http://www.thebladeboneinn.com/
http://www.thewellingtonarms.com/

Last edited:
Soldato
Been there numerous times over the years and have never disappointed.

Planning a trip to the slightly further afield, but very well recommended, 2 star Hand & Flowers in Marlow after Christmas - http://www.thehandandflowers.co.uk/

I can also recommend in the area, though you will probably know them -

http://www.potkiln.org/
http://www.thebladeboneinn.com/
http://www.thewellingtonarms.com/

Cheers, I've been to the blade bone inn and the hand and flowers but not the other two, will check them out in the near future.

Man of Honour
I ate at Dinner in the Mandarin Oriental for lunch yesterday (for my birthday). It was excellent. I had the meat fruit (foie made to look like a mandarin) but in practice split that with a mate who was having the crab, both great.

Then I had pigeon and finally a very nice layered desert with rose petal and quite subtle flavours.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, very relaxed atmosphere.

Back
Top Bottom