What Restaurant did you eat at last night?

Soldato
Monday night, 8pm, The Greenhouse.

Had to go for the menu. Made sense really and the fact it was a surprise made it all the more fun.

We only were given this menu signed at the end when we met the chef, so as we went we were just told them as they arrived.

4d5e99be416c11e3b2fe22000ae9122e_8.jpg

Pair of teefs. Beet meringues, mussel puffs and beef tartare stick thing. :p

8ae0f1b0416c11e39f4322000ab698bb_8.jpg

Chili butter was amazing. As were the chorizo and parmesan rolls! I could have taken like 1000 home, easily.

Light wasn't great so do excuse my shots.

374d2e6a417111e39dc322000a1f9c8f_8.jpg

First course was good. Different, but good. Parmesan marshmallow with rocket and truffles. It tasted like a nice salad, but textures weren't of that, which was interesting in a good way.

944b8b02417111e398cb22000ab5be2d_8.jpg

Razor clams, octopus and stuff.
This was my least favourite dish, I have to say, but that's because the flowers added too much bitterness to the flavour, which took away from the rest of the dish. It also needed something with some crunch for texture. My sister's least favourite too, but for her it was due to the jelly texture that was cold. Other than that I enjoyed it, but needed refining.

b9f1c6fa417111e3815722000a1fa518_8.jpg

Mmmmm scallops with curry spicing on a bed of delicate asparagus and a dish of creamy shellfish jelly? I suppose you'd call it that. Balance was incredible and cooked perfectly. I could have kept going on these. Devine.

30befb86417211e3993f22000a9e0af5_8.jpg

This is like a risotto but not. It doesn't use rice but uses homemade pasta cut up in to rice like shapes. The ingredients list is 3 things long but I would climb in that bowl and bathe there for a long, long time. While shoveling more and more in my mouth. Rich, warm and delicious.

7d14247a417211e3a77322000a1deb35_8.jpg

Lovely bit of bass and still plump and so moist, great cooking on the fish and very fresh flavours. Really nice and clean.

I didn't take a picture of the Hen dish, because I ate it too quickly, but it was nice. Very moist bird and earth autumnal flavours. Not a knock out, but tasty none the less.

ef9e7bb0402f11e392fa22000ae80314_8.jpg

Palette cleanser of the mojito sorbet inside the white chocolate pop. Bit of theatre.

da6edade417211e39a6e22000a1fab27_8.jpg

This was nice, but I think the orange was a little too sharp on mine, which was a shame but hell I cleaned it right off.

efdf6fbe417211e3bbc022000a9f1945_8.jpg

Chocolate, popcorn and coffee. Oh and caramel. The whole thing tasted like popcorn really, which is great. Who doesn't want that? Fantastic.

4985e9f8417311e3918922000a9e5e23_8.jpg

Boob looking things in the middle were extremely light and delicate lemon cheesecake things. This point I just about managed to get these down me.

7febc616417311e38fba22000a1fb1a7_8.jpg

I had to take these home, too full. Saying that, my sister then ate them but assured me that they were nice.

I liked my meal there, it was a great experience and the staff were all very nice too. Not stuffy in anyway, would talk to us when we wanted them too and felt less formal in that way. The wine was nice, I only went ~50quid bottle of Sancerre and it was nice, followed by a Sauternes for the desert. Total for 2 was about 350.

Would I go back? I think so.
There were many dishes being served to others that I was like, man I would like to have that too. I'd take the Mrs there.

It was creative and different but still with some solid very tasty food.

Soldato
Tuesday, 9:30pm Le Gavroche

You arrive at Le Gavroche and it's all very formal. You go inside and it's all red, gold and greens. You get taken downstairs and it looks like you're in Albert Roux's front room, or what I'd imagine his taste to be. It didn't feel stuffy though, like I thought it might.

Staff were great and we just got there in time to get the menu exceptionnel. Again, we didn't go for matching wines, but I don't think I'd have made it out of there if I did. I was full enough as it was. Started with a Bellini and their special cocktail of the day.

c8e3ab98413e11e3a2e222000a9e48a3_8.jpg

Smoked duck in one, curried cauliflower in the other. Lovely start.

Now, the first course doesn't look like much and it didn't in front of you too.
fae75616413f11e3890222000a1fb0b2_8.jpg

Plate brain? My god it was so light and cheesy. But not too cheesy. Just oozy and fantastic. I wanted more. A lot more. I dipped like 2 rolls just in this.

027da3a2414111e3ab6722000a1fb853_8.jpg

Foie Gras. Probably my least favourite course. Not because it was bad, but just because I'm not a massive foie gras fan and even though it balanced nicely with all of the flavours, it just didn't hit the spot.

7aa35d76414211e3a07e22000a1f9a28_8.jpg

Posh fish pie. That's the only way to describe this. Light tasty crab with a great sauce, the spinach in there too just kept me thinking fish pie. It also kept me thinking, where is the whole frigging bowl?! Amazingly nice.

693895b2415911e3b38c22000ab5cb1b_8.jpg

Another bass one. This one with ras el hanout spicing, fennel and rice. Again, balance was perfect and tasted terrific.

a03a47a4415911e39ca422000a1fb149_8.jpg

Pig. Cheek of pig. With crackling. Red cabbage? Yep. soft, melty meat, rich flavours, mmmm. Want

e2964368415a11e395d322000aa80060_8.jpg

Partridge. Homely, warming, rich as you like, but delicious.

0f9d25ca415b11e380ad22000a1fbe2f_8.jpg

Walnut bread and bits for the cheese.

36b10ae6415b11e3950f22000a1ddb60_8.jpg

My cheese. They have a ton of cheeses and a great selection.

64bb1b34415b11e3830022000a9f50e0_8.jpg

Pear and praline. Now I'm not a big praline fan, but this was very nice. By this point though I'm reaching my max.

9f4e3a06415b11e3993f22000a9e0af5_8.jpg

Finish with petit fours and coffee and finally left about 1:30am. Great experience and to compare the two places is just very hard. Both serve a french type of cuisine; the greenhouse is more modern and experimental, whereas le gavroche is solid, rich, more traditional in that way I suppose.

Which would I eat again, menu wise? Le Gavroche. But like I said, I'd go back to the greenhouse for sure, but might try something new. It was no way bad in any way, I'm just very curious as to what the other offering are like.
Le Gavroche I'd eat the same again. I'd like to try some others, but hell I'd be happy to eat that again now.

Meal for 2 came in about 410 with 2 bottles of wine and cocktails.

taB

taB

Associate
Maison du Steak, Cambridge.

Seem to be eating out less and less at the moment, and this isn't anything Michelin worthy, but wanted to report a cracking impromptu evening yesterday as the wife and I finished a meeting at 9 nearby and wanted to eat out.

It was my second visit here and it's a very classic style French Bistro run by the generously proportioned "Gros" Franck, complete with stereotypical chef's hat. The food is very well cooked and simply presented and gives exactly what I would expect from a French bistro (and does it better than the last one I went to in Beaune). Specials on offer yesterday included boar pie and a couple of game options. The large cuts of hanging steaks all look very well aged.

We went for fairly light food as it was late: crab tartare for the boss and chicken with frites for me. Shared 2 of the largest profiteroles I've seen for pud and had a cafage (50cl) of perfectly drinkable Chilean white. All for £32.

Will be going again for sure as while there's a lot of good eating in and around Cambridge, most of it is very expensive and I'd rather be spending that kind of money in London (or North Norfolk).

Associate
9 of us went to Red Dog Saloon

This place gets a lot of poor reviews due to service however I have to say the service and atmosphere were very good last night. They even managed to move our reservation back 45 minutes because we were running late due to our taxi not turning up at the time booked.

The food in general was good and only let down by the sides, which they really need to work on. The meaty beans tasted cheap and were too runny. The onion rings were not crispy enough and the fries were a little on the bland side. The meat, burgers, chicken wings and puddings were all good however.

I managed to complete the hot wing challenge in just under 4 minutes. The 5 minute burn time was interesting as my wife kept trying to talk to me and all I wanted to do was sit in silence. By far the hottest thing I've eaten.

Total cost was around £400 including all food, drinks and service charge which I think is reasonable for 9 people.

The taxi cost £200 for the round trip so it's all relative.

Soldato
9 of us went to Red Dog Saloon

This place gets a lot of poor reviews due to service however I have to say the service and atmosphere were very good last night. They even managed to move our reservation back 45 minutes because we were running late due to our taxi not turning up at the time booked.

The food in general was good and only let down by the sides, which they really need to work on. The meaty beans tasted cheap and were too runny. The onion rings were not crispy enough and the fries were a little on the bland side. The meat, burgers, chicken wings and puddings were all good however.

I managed to complete the hot wing challenge in just under 4 minutes. The 5 minute burn time was interesting as my wife kept trying to talk to me and all I wanted to do was sit in silence. By far the hottest thing I've eaten.

Total cost was around £400 including all food, drinks and service charge which I think is reasonable for 9 people.

The taxi cost £200 for the round trip so it's all relative.

Where did you come from?!

Hoxton square is hardly far... Get a cab!

Red dog is good. I didn't have the sides to be fair, but then burger was decent enough and more than enough food. The service was fine when I was there as well. It also has the benefit of you actually being able to do reservations...

kd

Associate
:eek::eek:

Even for nine people that's stupidly expensive taxi!! I hired a minibus for 15 people for a weekend not long ago for that!

I take it for that price it was a self drive minibus. Gets more expensive when you need the minibus and a driver.

The train was working out at approximately £17.00 each and involved 3 changes and walking to and from the station. £22.00 got us door to door service and sitting around with friends for just over an hour each way having a laugh. To be honest I know which one I would take every single time.

Regarding the food

The sauce on the hot wings added zero flavour and was just there for the heat. Normally I like my hot sauce to stand on its own merits flavour wise.

The sides were the only negative, which really shouldn't be difficult for them to fix given a bit of effort.

Alternatively if I go again I suppose I could just pick a double order of hot links as my sides and add more meat to the meal.

Last edited:
Soldato
I visited Gauthier Soho with a couple of friends for Dinner on a Friday evening. It's an interesting setting; a townhouse where you have to knock on the door to get in. It’s nice and cosy inside, and because the tables aren't all in one open area, it doesn't get too noisy which was nice.
A good selection of bread was offered, with the salt brioche especially nice. As with most of our restaurant visits, we chose the tasting menu so that we could experience a selection of dishes that they offer. The menu for us consisted of:

- Duck Foie Gras with Royal Gala Apples, Muscat Grapes and a Cider Reduction

- Hand Dived Scottish Scallop, Two Ways with Lobster Coral and Girolle

- Black Truffle, Acquarello Riso and aged Parmesan

- Lightly Seared Halibut, Roasted Salsify, Leek & Green Chard and a Vermouth & Fish Reduction

- Highland Venison, Williams Pear, Pumpkin & Celeriac and a Venison Jus

- A selection of Matured French Cheeses, with Garnishes & Biscuits

- Autumnal Plums, Roasted & Compote, with Mirabelle Sorbet

- Golden Louis XV, Dark Chocolate & Praline

There were some lovely dishes, with the foie gras (absolutely stunning!), halibut, and the venison standing out for me. The signature Golden Louis XV was gorgeous; rich dark chocolate on a crispy praline base that threatened to be too rich, but was in fact the perfect ending to a lovely meal.

I thought 8 fantastic courses for £70 per person was really good value. We didn't take the matching wine with each course, opting instead for a couple of very nice, reasonably prices bottles recommended by the sommelier.
I was aware that they lost their Michelin star last year, and going on our visit, they just need to tidy up the service slightly. Both the head waiter (Francois I believe) and the sommelier were superb, and Francois couldn't have been more helpful with one of our guests having a few dietary requirements. There were however a few sloppy servings of wine and water, and the occasional reach across one guest to get to another. Understandable due to the table arrangement, but a polite interruption would have been appreciated. Get that right and I've no doubt the star will be back.

Overall, we really enjoyed our dinner and would certainly recommend it.

Soldato
Not quite last night, but we spent last week in Padstow.

Went to Rick Stein's Bistro at The St. Petroc Hotel which was very nice. Finished the week off with a visit to Paul Ainsworth @ No 6. Fantastic food - my main of Malt Glazed Duck was superb.

Would have been rude not to plump for the "A Trip To The Fairground" for pudding and it was worth every penny. There's a good picture of how is it presented on the gallery - third row from bottom, right hand end. A little trolley of pure joy :cool:

Before leaving we had a look at the new cook book which includes some of Paul's recipes (The New West Country Cook Book). We bought three, one for us and two Christmas presents. As Paul was cooking that night, we were invited into the kitchen (surprised how small it was) for him to personalise and sign the books :cool: Came over as a really nice bloke.

Soldato
Was heading to a show at the Hydro, Glasgow last night and decided to drop into the city centre for a bite to eat beforehand.

Went to Burger Meats Bun and thoroughly enjoyed it! It's simple, it's delicious and fresh. Fiery burger was superb, spicy, hot, juicy and lovely. Thai cheese fries were also excellent.

This place is simple and straightforward, no plates, no serviettes, - kitchen roll instead! Lemonade comes in glass bottles for you to pour etc.

Just quality burgers and fries, ice cold beers - exactly what the doctor ordered. Top stuff. Best burger I've eaten, bar none.

Soldato
I have that cookbook... it arrived at my house here straight from the publishers... yet I didn't pre order it and have no idea who sent it?! It's great though and I'm jealous of your visits!

That's a nice brucey bonus.

I'd imagine Padstow in the peak of summer could be close to hell on earth due to the number of people visiting. There is an excellent tearoom / coffee shop right on the harbour called The Cherry Tree which did fantastic grub (we tried breakfast, lunch and cake there!) but it only has ~25 to 30 covers so I'd imagine getting in summer is nigh impossible.

Soldato
Went to Hawksmoor Air Street yesterday.

http://randomshenans.com/eating-out/28-hawkmoor-air-street-burnt-steak-a-mixed-bag

Burnt steak. Sent 2 back. Last one was... OK.

Went to Goodman on Maddox Street on Saturday. They kept us waiting for 15 mins before telling us our table wouldn't be ready for a further 45 mins... and then offered us a smaller table with an extra seat squeezed on to the end!

We had a bit of a rant, so they gave us a much better table. Our waiter surprised us with Polish steak, which was really quite average. Then the Gigondas I ordered had turned - some of the staff agreed, whereas others argued it was fine. Then the chips came out 10 mins after the main had been served :confused:

Obviously not a good week for steak houses.

Soldato
Not quite last night, but we spent last week in Padstow.

Went to Rick Stein's Bistro at The St. Petroc Hotel which was very nice. Finished the week off with a visit to Paul Ainsworth @ No 6. Fantastic food - my main of Malt Glazed Duck was superb.

Would have been rude not to plump for the "A Trip To The Fairground" for pudding and it was worth every penny. There's a good picture of how is it presented on the gallery - third row from bottom, right hand end. A little trolley of pure joy :cool:
I really want to get to Padstow to visit Paul Ainswoth @ No 6., however my main reason would be to visit Restaurant Nathan Outlaw across the bay.

To even up the steak restaurants, at the end of last week I went to Roxie Steak in Earlsfield (SW London). It may not be the absolute best quality beef (it is very good though), but for value for money it is up there with Hawksmoor as far as I'm concerned. A lovely 250g fillet for £17, cooked perfectly, and so soft, juicy and tender. It was lovely. The fact that the restaurants are ranked #39 and #283 of 15,000 on Trip Advisor, must say something of how good they are :). My 7th visit in 18 months, and there will be more.

Soldato
Went to Goodman on Maddox Street on Saturday. They kept us waiting for 15 mins before telling us our table wouldn't be ready for a further 45 mins... and then offered us a smaller table with an extra seat squeezed on to the end!

We had a bit of a rant, so they gave us a much better table. Our waiter surprised us with Polish steak, which was really quite average. Then the Gigondas I ordered had turned - some of the staff agreed, whereas others argued it was fine. Then the chips came out 10 mins after the main had been served :confused:

Obviously not a good week for steak houses.

Does indeed seem that way! I was told to go to Goodman's but shows they all can have a bad day. I sent them my feedback as they asked me for it. See if anything comes of that (doubtful mind).

Soldato
We checked out Nathan Outlaw's place but the water taxi between Padstow & Rock doesn't run after October (bar the Padstow Christmas festival, Christmas and NY). It's a loooong way round the estuary by road so I'd guess a taxi would add another £50 to the bill for the night (compared to £3 each return on the water)

Back
Top Bottom