What Restaurant did you eat at last night?

Soldato
Ledbury.

Almost so nearly 10/10.
Awesome, The Ledbury is my joint favourite restaurant along with The Square.
What did you go for - a la carte, taster menu? I've just had a look and the current menu looks gorgeous.

As for me, I ate at Cattle Grid in Kingston Upon Thames. Fairly average burger, not great chips, but decent service. Compared to other burger chains, I'd much rather go to GBK or Byron.

Last edited:
Associate
Had the longer tasting menu. Was amazing. As follows (some are the exact dishes from the website):

Ceviche of Hand Dived Scallops with Tokyo Turnips, Seaweed Oil and Frozen Horseradish

Flame Grilled Mackerel with Pickled Cucumber, Celtic Mustard and Shiso

Hampshire Buffalo Milk Curd with Aged Comte, Truffle Toast and a Broth of Grilled Onions

Poached New Season's Morels with Earl Grey Tea, Creamed Potato and Wild Herbs

Turbot (but I forget what with)

Steak cut of some description with turnip mash and bone marrow

Cheese

(Can't remember what pre-dessert was - something like violet ice cream)

Banana and Chocolate Malt Tartlet

Caporegime
JW Steakhouse in the Marriot in Mayfair.

I had a 14oz New York Strip that was pretty good (comparable to Hawksmoor, but a bit pricier), truffle fries which were delicious, roasted veg side which was very good, and a Mississippi Mud Pie with Bourbon ice cream which, whilst good, was a bit too rich over all for me.

Don't drink when out (just had 2 cokes) as I feel it is a rip off, but the service was excellent and £100+tip for 2 people left feeling happily full of delicious food seems good to me!

Soldato
On Friday night I planned to go to Beard to Tail near Old Street, but reading the reviews in the morning put me off. Instead, I booked a table at The Bull Steak Expert in Holborn. I am so glad that I made the change, as I had possibly the best steak I've ever eaten in a restaurant. I went for the Tira De Ancho 600G; a spiral cut of rib-eye marinated in a chimichurri sauce. It was cooked perfectly, and so full of flavour. Seriously good meat. The rump steak and the Ancho A La Pimienta (peppered rib-eye) were also chosen, and they were both superb too. Bearnaise sauce was lovely and creamy, and sides of chips, spinach and humitas (far better than Gaucho) were also enjoyed. On top of that, the service was first rate; very friendly, full of knowledge about the steaks as well as the wine list, which has some lovely Argentinian wines on.
The downside to the meal was the size/price of the starter (£16 for 4 large prawns), which was slightly overpriced, but that was it.

I've not had a better steak at Gaucho, Hawksmoor, Goodmans or any of the other smaller steak restaurants that I've been to. I'd highly recommend a visit for some superb Argentinian steak, I'll certainly be going back!

Man of Honour
Went to Moreish again last night. http://www.moreishrestaurant.co.uk/
The atmosphere is great and extremely relaxed.
As usual did the taster menu with the wine flight. Hopefully can remember it, not the wines though.

Spiced root vegtabke soup - the soups in here are amazing. Usually find soups boring and pointless but not in here.

Welsh rarebit with ox tongue and pear purée - the dish that most intrigued me, but actually the worst dish on the menu, but still very nice.

Venison chocolate stew - this was just awesome, a carved rare bit of venison on top of kale, an extremely rich venison liver stew and parsnip purée, with roast potato.

lemon posset - so much better than sorbet

Chocolate brownie, maple syrup ice cream, orange sauce - chocolate brownie was awesome and very different, the shell was extremely crunchy, ice cream was great but unless you were careful the orange sauce could be over powering.

Cheese board. Brie (disappointing it wasn't even close to ripe), Cornish Yard (very nice and my favourite on the board), Stilton (extremely nice), cheddar (it's cheddar, take or leave it), caramelised onion marmalade(nice), cranberries compote (not a big fan) & piccalilli now this was a revelation, nothing like in the shops, crunchy, vinegary with a touch if curry. Absolutely amazing and I'm now a Piccadilly, no idea where to buy some from, might have to try making it.

Chocolate truffle.

Wines were amazing and were matched extremely well. Sometimes I just dined paired wines a bit confusing but not theses. The wine with the soup was extremely mellow and cleared the pallet so you actually kept getting the spice hit.
Wine with the rarebit had a very big pear note and minimal mineral and worked well.
The one with the venison just worked.
Lovely sweet orange wine to go with the posset
One with the dessert, countered the massive orange punch from the sauce
And an extremely alcoholic punchy port to go with the cheese
Oh and a Bellini to start.
We also had a coffee.

They do travelzoo local voucher about 4 times a year meaning the taster menu is £49 for two people, extra £20 for the wine flight. So in total including 10 service charge was £50.

Can't wait for the deal to come up again. We've been a few tomes now and it's always excellent.

Also did Clifton No4 last weekend. Very different to Moorish, more trendy and good normal food, pate to start, roast pork belly and chips for main, white chocolate brownie for dessert. Very nice, but no Moorish. More classy setting though, not so relaxed and I like relaxed. I would happily go back there.
http://www.no4cliftonvillage.co.uk

Now a month with no restaurants :( steak night in may though at Hudson in Bath, a brilliant steak house.
So think I'll have to cook next Sunday.

Last edited:
Soldato
Went to Luck, Love, Liquor and Burn in Manchester last weekend.

Nothing fancy (although it's a bit 'on trend' (shudder) at the mo), but the food they had was very tasty.

BBQ chicken blasts (very surprisingly spicy for how they were described!) followed by a burger with pulled pork, BBQ sauce, garlic mayo, cheese and bacon in it.

Prices very reasonable too, especially considering a central Manchester location.

Associate
9 of us went to Mr Todiwala's Kitchen at the Hilton Heathrow

Selection of papadums and pickles

Shared a starter platter which had 9 sample starters, 5 veggie and 4 meat.

Main was a ostrich bhuna, pulao and nan

Dessert was a chocolate kulfi and fruit

Lots of cobra beer and mango lassi was consumed.

Was very nice and would go again

Soldato
Went to The Greenhouse in Mayfair on Saturday for our anniversary meal.
One of the reasons I chose The Greenhouse was because of the review by randomshenans. I'll start by agreeing that the chorizo and Parmesan rolls were amazing. We had seaweed butter as opposed to his chilli butter. We also had the same Orange dessert, and I loved the sharpness of the Orange.
We always opt for the taster menu when we have the opportunity...
Cornish crab
Mint jelly / Cauliflower / Granny Smith apple / Curry

Foie gras
Corn / Satay / Old Balsamic

Monkfish
Nori / Cockles/ Razor clams / Dashi / Gnocchi

Welsh organic lamb ‘Rhug estate’
Miso / Puntarella / Mooli / Onion / Anya potato

Herbs
Green Chartreuse / Exotic fruits

Orange
Saffron / Date / Filo pastry
My wife doesn't like lamb, and they very kindly swapped that for a lovely piece of veal instead.
The two stand-out dishes for me were the Cornish crab which was amazing, and the Foie Gras with salted pop corn and a corn satay which was very unusual but gorgeous.
The food was fantastic, the service was superb, and the restaurant itself is really very nice. Very obvious why it was awarded it's 2nd Michelin star last year.

Associate
I went to Olivo in Guildford a few nights ago, and it was superb. The ambience is great, and even while it was quite busy we always felt well attended to. The wine was a bit pricy but very good, and the Duck leg main was amazing, and you have to try the Tiramisu if anyone goes.

Soldato
Went to The Greenhouse in Mayfair on Saturday for our anniversary meal.
One of the reasons I chose The Greenhouse was because of the review by randomshenans. I'll start by agreeing that the chorizo and Parmesan rolls were amazing. We had seaweed butter as opposed to his chilli butter. We also had the same Orange dessert, and I loved the sharpness of the Orange.
We always opt for the taster menu when we have the opportunity...

My wife doesn't like lamb, and they very kindly swapped that for a lovely piece of veal instead.
The two stand-out dishes for me were the Cornish crab which was amazing, and the Foie Gras with salted pop corn and a corn satay which was very unusual but gorgeous.
The food was fantastic, the service was superb, and the restaurant itself is really very nice. Very obvious why it was awarded it's 2nd Michelin star last year.

They are amazing! I want them now. Mmmm I'd go back as well, as I got the impression you'd always be "challenged" in some way with a dish you know? Just something different. Really nice relaxed place though as well. Really liked it.

Caporegime
Le Gavroche

A
May
Zing!

Normal food is ruined for ever. There was lamb you could carve with a spoon, many things I had never eaten before, the best chocolate desert ever, and wine in bottles with dust on them!

And Michelle Roux came over for a chat.

Loved it.

Soldato
Not been yet so am jumping the gun, but the missus has booked us in for lunch somewhere special for my Birthday at the beginning of June. She was meant to keep it secret, but dropped it into conversation about something else yesterday and did not even realise. I kept a straight face as not to upset her but I am so unbelievably happy with her choice.

We shall be dining at Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons. :D

I'll report back once we have been.

Soldato
Le Gavroche

A
May
Zing!

Normal food is ruined for ever. There was lamb you could carve with a spoon, many things I had never eaten before, the best chocolate desert ever, and wine in bottles with dust on them!

Loved it.
We loved Le Gavroche. I take it you had the souffle suissesse?

We shall be dining at Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons. :D

I'll report back once we have been.
Fantastic. That was where we went for our 1st anniversary. Beautiful setting, and the food was fantastic. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Associate
Found a random smokehouse in Vegas called rolling smoke. Taxi driver had never been there from the strip so not common knowledge for visitors. Anyway awesome food and sides will have to go back there when we are next In Vegas.

Back
Top Bottom