What Restaurant did you eat at last night?

Associate
Last night... L'Enclume.

Outstanding (again). The service is superb. Whilst the staff are uber efficient and very well "drilled", it was still very personal and friendly.

I won't bother trying to detail the food as I'd write lots and not get close.

What's the area like around l'enclume?

I've been to Holbeck Ghyll and absolutely loved it, the view over the lake is absolutely captivating. Next time I'm up that way I quite fancy trying l'enclume also

Soldato
Goodman (City) for steak and wine.
Went with the USDA Prime 550g Porterhouse (£50). It had a good meaty flavour to it, was really tender, and overall a very good steak. Also had truffle chips and spinach which were both quite nice. Better then my last few visits to Hawksmoor, but perhaps not as good as The Bull Steak Expert, which is still the best steak I've ever had.

Last edited:
Soldato
I went to Sushi Samba the other night. Really enjoyed it as it wasn't just sushi and sashimi but there was a few meaty dishes on the menu too. Perhaps a little expensive for what it is, but the waiting staff were very attentive and helpful.

Wagyu Gyoza
IMG-20140819-WA0004_zps8db87cad.jpg

Samba London
IMG-20140819-WA0006_zpsbb502ee9.jpg

And of course the view....

20140819_181337_zps5366b1ed.jpg

Soldato
Just finished lunch at Paris House which is near me in Woburn and has 1 Michelline Star.

Will do a proper write up later but it was excellent, I had a deal from Amazon Local for the Chef's Table 8 course taster menu and it was great. My first experience at this kind of restaurant and and although we were sat at a table right opposite the pass which is slightly different to the main restaurant but a fantastic experience.

Caporegime
Some places I recommend in Miami (Downtown and South Beach)

Perricone’s Marketplace & Cafe

Just before getting to Brickell Village, this wonderfully tardis-like place can be found. Good prices and great food, I had steak and shrimp surf n turf, and my manager had a meaty fish of some description that I forget. Both were great!

Big Pink Restaurant South Beach

Went here for breakfast before hitting South Beach, and the options were insane.

I had their signature huge pancakes with a side of bacon (I couldn't even finish it) and my manager had the eggs benedict. Highly recommended!

Rosa Mexicano

One of the restaurants in Brickell Village, and so good we had dinner there twice over a 5 night trip. They do freshly made, as in right in front of you, guacamole which was ace. Good selection of cocktails, the pina colada mojito being my favourite, and an out of this world pork shank. I cannot recommend the pork shank enough, it was amazing. They also do a great churro based dessert with ice-cream bombe type things.

Man of Honour
Had brunch at a place called halo yesterday. Its a simple relaxed café. The goods really nice, your usually burger, breakfast, tastiest as well as a few random things like pitta and hummus. But the prices are really reasonable, including the beer etc is decently priced and with a gourmet society card, get 50% of food. Which is insane. Can see it being are new hang out place. Mate got the card fryer through bank account, but it's £69.99 a year which is great value if theres a couple of places near you, you like.

Man of Honour
Omg went to Boca Bar in Bristol last night. Expensive but the best pizza I've had in years. Proper Italian bases and lovely toppings cooked well.

Soldato
Went to Chicken Shop in Tooting on Friday night. Similar to Nandos in that they do chicken, but better in every way. Bigger tastier chicken, better sides, better service, less families and noise - more adult customers. Will be back there again for more lovely juicy chicken :).

Went to Cau in Kingston on Saturday evening. Found out about them recently as they are soon to open in Wimbledon Village, and was looking forward to this visit as they serve Argentinian steak :D. I started with belly of pork tempura. Interesting combo, but what could go wrong with a combination of pork belly and deep fried batter. Tasty, and quite a large portion. Then I went with one of my favourite steaks - Tira De Ancho. 500g spiral cut rib-eye, marinated in chimichurri. Wow, what a disappointment. So much fat and gristle, I left a load on the plate because I just couldn't eat it. The triple cooked chips were massive and too hard and crunchy. My wife had the Lomito - 440g rump. It was an odd shape and so it was cooked very inconsistently. It didn't have a particularly great flavour to it, and it was surprisingly difficult to cut with a steak knife.
Compare this to The Bull Steak Expert in Holborn (another Argentinian steak restaurant) which is leagues above this for about the same price.
We won't be going back.

Associate
Went to Chicken Shop in Tooting on Friday night. Similar to Nandos in that they do chicken, but better in every way. Bigger tastier chicken, better sides, better service, less families and noise - more adult customers. Will be back there again for more lovely juicy chicken :).

Went to Cau in Kingston on Saturday evening. Found out about them recently as they are soon to open in Wimbledon Village, and was looking forward to this visit as they serve Argentinian steak :D. I started with belly of pork tempura. Interesting combo, but what could go wrong with a combination of pork belly and deep fried batter. Tasty, and quite a large portion. Then I went with one of my favourite steaks - Tira De Ancho. 500g spiral cut rib-eye, marinated in chimichurri. Wow, what a disappointment. So much fat and gristle, I left a load on the plate because I just couldn't eat it. The triple cooked chips were massive and too hard and crunchy. My wife had the Lomito - 440g rump. It was an odd shape and so it was cooked very inconsistently. It didn't have a particularly great flavour to it, and it was surprisingly difficult to cut with a steak knife.
Compare this to The Bull Steak Expert in Holborn (another Argentinian steak restaurant) which is leagues above this for about the same price.
We won't be going back.

I went to Cau in Kingston about a month ago - in terms of quality and price the food was pretty poor. Won't be going back again.

Bills a couple of doors down isn't anything special but I had much better time eating there.

Associate
Le Mistral in Nottingham City Centre. One of the best french restaurants we've ever been to.

Very quaint inside, food was phenomenal and the service was absolutely spot on.

The menu doesn't have a vast amount of choice, but with food of that quality anything you pick is simply fantastic.

Associate
The last two (worth mentioning) I have been to have been a huge disappointment.

1. The Blue Marlin (Dundee)

We had a voucher for here and finally decided to use it. It has a good rep as a fresh sea food restaurant and we were looking forward to a nice meal.

Service was fine but the food was not up to standard. The wife couldn't even finish her main. By no stretch of the imagination could this be considered fresh and given the prices involved (~60pp) we weren't impressed. It was about a month ago now so I cant remember the specifics, we would rather forget about it. We wont be visiting again.

2. Malmaison (Dundee)

Had friends up from London and had booked here for a special meal for 7 people. Malmaison has a very good rep for a fine food brasserie and having set up in Dundee at the start of the year it was somewhere we had both wanted an excuse to try.

From start to finish it was a disaster!
15min - Drink order taken
- Couldn't find one of the bottles of wine we ordered (not out of stock, just couldn't find it yet)
30min - Food order. Only mains were ordered for the whole table
1hr 30min - Asked waiter where our food was
- Only 3 of us got what we had ordered. Others were missing sides, sauces etc.
1hr 50min - Eventually got a manager as still no sides/sauces. He offered to get the sides sorted which was all too late as 3 were almost finished and 4 had cold food.
- Manager offered to wave the food bill and give free desserts. By this point no one was wanting to hang about any longer so we refused the free food and agreed to pay the drink.
2hrs - Got the bill which included the bottle of wine they never found.

We all left very unhappy and the majority of us very hungry. Again given the prices you are paying for great food and excellent service (the whole experience) we got nether. We wont be visiting again.

Soldato
Just got back from The Wilfred Wood in Hazel Grove, a Wetherspoons.

Sharing nachos - generous portion between us.
Chicken strips
Onion Rings
14oz Medium Rare Rump Steak with Chips, Peas and Mushroom.
Beef Burger with Bacon & Cheese
Strongbow
Double G&T.

£24.

No complaints at all. Service was great, the woman was very personable. I'm not usually a big Wetherspoons fan but thought I'd give this a go as I've never been before. For a relatively cheap "Can't be bothered cooking" dinner, it was fine.

Back
Top Bottom