What Restaurant did you eat at last night?

alx

alx

Soldato
Went to The Marcliffe, Aberdeen last night - work night out.

Was very nice, definitely not cheap (then again I wasn't paying) but the service is a class above. Would definitely recommend to go there at least once if you don't live too far away!

Associate
Me, my girlfriend, my brother and his girlfriend all went to Sat Bains last night.

It was truely outstanding.

We had the famous egg peas and ham, which was incredible.

We also had the 7 taster menu, a bottle of white, a bottle of red, port to finish, and a glass of champagne to toast me getting old :D

The best food I've ever eaten, and to top it off I was allowed into the kitchen to meet Sat, who was extremely polite and friendly.

10/10

Soldato
I had a food-packed week. I actually missed cooking at home, so I've now got 1kg of beef shin from the butchers bubbling away in a tagine. Yum :cool:

Tuesday I went to Flesh and Buns which was good fun. We shared a slightly odd selection of starters; ceviche, sushi, squid, edamame.. But then onto the buns! We had flat iron steak, pork belly and teriyaki salmon. All very good in their own right. I liked the whole make-your-own buns thing, but a couple in my party weren't too keen - they didn't really like the texture of them. All in all, it's a bit pricey for what you get, good job work was paying :p Oh, cooking your own smores over a mini fire for desert was a nice fun way to finish. Nice atmosphere though, this place is a sister restaurant to Bone Daddies which I adore.

Wednesday I went to The Alma, Wandsworth. Wow. What a surprise. Lovely pub. Fantastic anti-pasti to started, with some gorgeous homemade breads, wonderful baked camembert. For mains, I had a great bit of hake, roasted fennel and some other bits and pieces. Two bottles of Pinot later and all was well :p

Yesterday I went to Bibigo, a newish korean place in Soho that had been recommended to me. Really glad I tried it. Awesome starters (pan fried scallops, dumplings and oh my god hot korean fried chicken *drool*..). For mains we shared a bulgogi, a spicy kimchi stew with pork and tofu. Both were absolutely excellent. Really fresh and zingy. The stew was nice and spicy too. Oh and we had to have an extra kimchi selection on the side. I really was impressed with this place, I'll definitely be going back!

Right.. back to my tagine.. :)

Soldato
Went to Jam Jar in Jesmond, Newcastle yesterday afternoon. Got a burger with some pulled pork on it which was fantastic along with the side salad, although sweet potato fries were way somewhat dry. Place itself seemed pretty good as well and cocktails were pretty well priced too.

Associate
My partner took me to Brasserie Blanc in Winchester yesterday evening. It was absolutely beautifull and they did gf and df options so I was actually able to choose out of many dishes.
Had some gf bread with aioli, tapenade and balsamic for little nibbles whilst waiting and lovely platter of meats for starter. My main was pork belly and it was all so good! My partner had Morteau sausage with potato salad and poached egg for starter and their burger for main which looked so good. Wish I could have taken pictures but no phone with me.
It was pretty good price being £56 for 1 bread plate 2 starters, 2 mains, 2 glasses of wine and 1 beer. I want to go back!

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been back a couple of weeks but have been too busy to write about Eleven Madison Park, where I was taken for my birthday meal whilst in New York.

The short review: WOW!

The longer review: They only take bookings 28 days in advance, and they get taken extremely quickly. My wife tried to get a table and failed, so she called in a favour from a head chef, who knows the restaurant manager who works there - very handy. Confirmed just before we left the UK, we had a table booked at 6pm. Had we not got a table, we'd have been at Per Se instead.

After being shown to our table, we were asked to choose one of four flavours; Apple, Celery, Maple or Cranberry, and they would be represented in several of the dishes (see below). I chose Apple, and my wife chose Maple. Before we started our meal, I decided on half a bottle of Krug, which was gorgeous. It was my birthday meal after all.

They don't display a menu because it changes frequently with the produce that's available, but this is what we had:
(the Chedder at the start, and the Chocolate at the end weren't really courses)
Cheddar
Savory Black and White Cookie with Apple

Broth
Bread, Butter, Venison Broth, and Salt

Kabocha Squash
Roasted with Pear, Chestnut, and Radicchio

Hudson Valley Foie Gras
Marinated with Grapes and Mushroom Bread Crumbs

Beef
Pastrami with Rye, Leek, Potato, and Apple

Long Island Seafood
Widow's Hole Oyster with Yogurt and Lemon
Scallop with Pistachio and Apple
Marinated Blue Crab with Pickled Radish
Vichyssoise with Caviar, Smoked Blue Fish, and Quail Egg

Atlantic Halibut
Slow Cooked with Clams, Squid, and Shellfish Parsley Sauce

Lion's Mane Mushroom
Braised in its own Broth

Charcuterie
Sausages, Liver on Toast, and Cured Loin

Millbrook Venison
Slow Cooked with Ash Crust, Beets, and Onions

Selection of Local Cheeses
With Soft Pretzel, Plum Conserve, and Bitter Green Salad

Whey
Sorbet with Caramelized Milk and Milk Foam

Vanilla
Baked Alaska with Rum, Caramel, and Apples

Pretzel
Chocolate Covered with Sea Salt

Chocolate
Sweet Black and White Cookie with Apple Molasses

It was an incredible taster menu, and nothing like I've had before. Each dish was a delicate collection of wonderful flavours presented immaculately, but it certainly wasn't presentation at the expense of flavour. My 2 standout courses were the Long Island Seafood, and the Atlantic Halibut.
There were a lot of courses, but spread over 3.5 hours, we were filled without being stuffed.

They were aware it was my birthday, and they knew who had booked the table for us, so half way through the meal they came over and offered to show us round the kitchen; yes please :D! We went in and they told us about the kitchen and team which was interesting, it's in operation 23 hours a day. Then, one of the chefs came and prepared a cocktail for us with liquid nitrogen. It was of course was extremely good.

The sommelier was fantastic. Very friendly, he hadn't been there long but knew all there was to know about their wine. He even knew about the coffee they prepared which was great. One of the things I usually notice in 1 and 2 Michelin star restaurants, is that the coffee rarely matches the quality of the food. This is the first place it did (well almost). They offered coffee prepared using a Chemex, and that is what I went for. The barista wheeled over a trolley with everything on and prepared it by the table which was a nice spectacle. The brew time allowed us to chat about the beans which were from Central America and roasted locally. Extremely good coffee to round of a stunning meal.

Service was absolutely spot-on superb, possibly the best I've ever experienced in a restaurant. Right from when we first entered, they were amazing. Not a drop of wine or water was spilled onto the table which is a pet hate of mine. Someone else mentioned about Hospital Road and trying to get to the toilets before someone comes to help you find your way, and it was the same here. It's hard to explain but members of the service team working at other tables would know you were approaching and discretely move out of your way whilst continuing to work. It's hard to describe, but you sort of felt special.

To take away with us, I had an Eleven Madison Park chocolate bar, and both of us received a jar of Granola, along with a personalised copy of the menu which included the changes we each had in our meal, including the shellfish substitutions that my wife had.

Sorry for slightly long review, but it was a WOW experience!

Last edited:
Soldato
top review - overall cost if you don't mind me asking? I have family in new york and would love to go somewhere like this.
Excluding the tip, as I added on a big tip because it was so good (and my wife was paying), it was about £500. That includes the half bottle of Krug which was about £70. Pricey, but I've had worse meals for the same money in London.

Caporegime
Stuzi in Richmond, VA.
Fantastic wood fired oven pizza, ranks in the top 10% of all pizza places for me ilcuding endless trips to Italy. The base was perfected, hosue made mozzerela was good.

Best thing of all its the hard to believe price of $2 for a 12" Margarita when sat at the bar and ordering a drink. One of the best pizzas in my life for 2 bucks (130p in GBP). Will be going back next week!

Soldato
Ate at The Coach in Marlow on Sunday night. Tom Kerridge's new pub. He closed down a decent chinese takeaway/pub and refurbed it. The food in there is like posh bar food/tapas. We had a few different dishes between 4 of us and it came to £150. It's certainly not value for money, in fact the portions are ridiculously small but what we did get tasted excellent.

Soldato
Wild Honey as featured on Masterchef The Professionals last night. Fantastic meal. Great food, great service! They don't do a taster menu, but with a contact inside, we were treated to a special 7 course meal.

- Italian white truffles, soft organic polenta, aged Parmesan.

- Hand dived Scottish scallops, roast & dumpling, fermented ramsons.

- Slow cooked belly of Pork, carrots, pear, chorizo

- Wild line caught sea bass, salsify, trompette mushrooms.

- Venison, chestnuts, celeriac, parsnip, Brussels sprouts, pickled cranberries

- Mango sorbet, spiced pineapple salad, coconut, coriander

- Warm chocolate tart, spiced orange and bergamot, rice pudding ice cream.

The best meal I've had at a 1 Michelin star restaurant since I went to Drakes in Feb 2013.

kai

kai

Soldato
Wife is a journalist, so we got a press evening invite to Burger & Lobster last night before it opens to the public today (Cardiff)

To be honest, I was not overly impressed - lobster roll was decent but very heavy on the butter. Lobster itself was cooked well, but it just lacked something! I suppose it was good for a free evening, but each main course (they only serve 3 items) is £20.

I would feel short changed on a £20 burger with fries.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wife is a journalist, so we got a press evening invite to Burger & Lobster last night before it opens to the public today (Cardiff)

To be honest, I was not overly impressed - lobster roll was decent but very heavy on the butter. Lobster itself was cooked well, but it just lacked something! I suppose it was good for a free evening, but each main course (they only serve 3 items) is £20.

I would feel short changed on a £20 burger with fries.
I went on a little date to Burger & Lobster on Saturday. I got the burger and she had the lobster and we both tried a bit of each. It was nice but it just wasn't enough so we got a Lobster roll as well.

I also tried their Mulled wine which just tasted like Lemsip to me (i've never tried mulled wine before so have no idea if this is normal or not!)

Associate
Went to Pitt Cue in soho last night. I was expecting an absolutely amazing experience after seeing many people rave about it on here and on trip advisor.

I was a bit underwhelmed. I had a pulled pork bun with a side of chilli slaw and my friend had some type of skirt steak thing with grilled carrots type side. We decided that since there is no starters on the menu we would order an extra main and share it. The third main was 3 small chunks of pig cheeks.

The pros
Nice and friendly staff
Fast service
Tasty food

The cons
Small, cramped, ugly, uncomfortable restaurant
Having to wait ages in a cramped tiny bar to be seated.
Although I mentioned the food was tasty it was not as good as people generally make out. Small portions of average BBQ type food. Bodeans is far better and not so much up it's own bum.
Extremely restricted menu. 4 mains (3 of which we ordered), 4 sides to accompany the mains and 2 deserts.

All in all I rate the place 3/5

Soldato
Last night I went to The Ledbury again, and yet again it was simply superb. Beautiful food and service that was faultless. Without doubt, my favourite restaurant.

Soldato
Although I mentioned the food was tasty it was not as good as people generally make out. Small portions of average BBQ type food. Bodeans is far better and not so much up it's own bum.
I agree with everything else you've said but the food Pitt Cue serve is certainly a lot more nuanced than Bodeans'. Portions are undeniably small which is a slight dampener on otherwise very tasty food.

As an aside Bodeans Soho have started doing takeaway and it's within 10 minutes walk of the office... I may end up rather fat if I don't exercise some restraint. :)

XeNoN89 said:
I went on a little date to Burger & Lobster on Saturday. I got the burger and she had the lobster and we both tried a bit of each. It was nice but it just wasn't enough so we got a Lobster roll as well.
The Lobster Roll is the best choice at B&L by a sizeable margin. I'd say get a Roll each and share a steamed lobster between two, you ought not to leave the place wanting more lobster that way. There are vastly superior burgers to be had in London for a lot less money. Even Five Guys punches above B&L in that regard imo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom