What retro things have you done today?

Soldato
My first graphics card (that wasn't in a family PC) I didn't realise how much of a budget card it was! The box is only a little bigger than a DVD case (but thicker obviously). I played the poop out of the bundled Tomb Raider Anniversary on that card and thought it was a great looking game (but is quite happy running on a 4 series...) Maybe I'll live the dream and SLI it.

VhTLcxqh.jpg

TSnQRqZh.jpg

Caporegime
Started looking at this 386 board today, a lot of dodgy looking traces and vias under the resistor work @LewisRaz!

Check out this completely ruined trace and a partially blown via:

386-board-before-1.jpg

Not even started properly looking at the chipset yet, though it's obvious some legs aren't touching the motherboard!

Caporegime
P4 PC parts are almost all acquired now, just waiting on delivery on a few things.

ACME beige M-ATX case
2x 1GB DDR PC3200
Asus P4R800-VM
Pentium 4 Northwood 2.8
ATI Radeon 9550 256MB (looking to upgrade, maybe to a 6600GT)
Sansun SN-500W dual-fan (I paid £14 delivered for this POS, but nasty dual fan PSU's are very period... :p)
80GB WD800
XP Home Edition

Now just looking for a socket 478 stock cooler to replace the Coolermaster Aquagate Viva watercooling.

Last edited:
Caporegime
So, been looking at my M919 based 486 platform today, not really done anything with it up until now except prove the board works.

I've had an AMD Am5x86-P75 (133MHz) sat here for a while, waiting on a board. The chip is a 3.45v part, but the board only offers 3.3v, 4v or 5v.

Here's the rub though, the CPU will ONLY POST at 5v. 3.3v or 4v result in a brain-dead system (no error codes on the POST test card, just ----). Obviously 5v isn't right for the CPU, but as it'll only function at 5v this leaves me with a dilemma. The board supposedly works with Am5x86 CPUs, as is evidenced by the motherboard's jumper settings manual (which shows settings for the "AMD 5x86-133", complete with "Voltage: 3.3v"), but the CPU simply won't play ball at 3.3v (or 4v).

I'm likely to kill it with long-term use at 5v (though there is one large - for a 486-class machine - heatsink and fan on there).

Caporegime

One working board! Re-did all the resistors, one trace needed a jumper wire (I used ceramic coated speaker wire, it's hair thin!), didn't have any 0ohm resistors so used legs from the resistors I was adding :p

Had to re-flow the chipset with hot-air, though I think I might need to give it another go in one corner as I've had it hang once since getting it going.

386-board-after-1.jpg

386-board-after-2.jpg

386-board-after-3.jpg

Soldato
One working board! Re-did all the resistors, one trace needed a jumper wire (I used ceramic coated speaker wire, it's hair thin!), didn't have any 0ohm resistors so used legs from the resistors I was adding :p

Had to re-flow the chipset with hot-air, though I think I might need to give it another go in one corner as I've had it hang once since getting it going.

386-board-after-1.jpg

386-board-after-2.jpg

386-board-after-3.jpg

Yes!!!!

I knew it could be fixed by someone with proper skills :p I refused to believe it was dead.

Great work

Soldato
You guys might have kickass 3+GHz Socket 775 quad core builds for your XP and Windows 7 PCs but I have the complete opposite:p

i4rXWNih.jpg

Socket M 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo laptop chip with 2GB DDR2 RAM and that 8600GT, in the ACME case. My DVD drive is too long so it's got a CD drive. But it's already boring!

Soldato
My soundcard arrived yesterday. Really pleased with all this for £20!
Not actually tested the card yet but will be swapping out the awe32 in my dell 486 for this card instead. Cant see any visual indications as to it not working and the seller did say it worked..

Will look into the CMS chips too at some point.

Caporegime
Pretty sure that once I get hold of/make the M919 cache module that I'm going to ditch the 486-class (Am5x86) PC. I can't think of anything that it can do which my Pentium-Class machine (AMD K6-233) can't. I've now got two 386s as well (one Olivetti PCS-33 and the motherboard that @LewisRaz gave me).

Really wish I could get my Olivetti Quaderno 33 working, but it seems dead as a doornail :(

Soldato
I absolutely love boxed creative stuff with the yellow/blue colours

Most of the time (for new stuff) i sling the boxes, but in this instance, im going to keep it as its old and retro

So the PC im going to build isnt really authentic, its a mismatch of 90s and 2000s bits and differnent colours

Other bits ordered
Soundblaster unboxed card
Duron 800mhz CPU arrived today
New Boxed motherboard
512mb memory
2x CF IDE (Riser bracket ones)
spliiter cables for above and molex extender
Nvidia FX5200
IDE CD -Rom , or i may used the philips one i put up in another post
HP unused boxed PS2 Keyboard (Grey)
HP unused PS2 Mouse (black and silver)
HP nearly new 15" 4:3 LCD Monitor
Yellow Round IDE & Floppy cables

I got this case coming below for £30 including delivery, its way to much , but there is so little out there that isnt broken, or has bits missing. it was originally priced at £40 and i offered £30.
I have a vinyl cutter at work, and was thinking if i could make an HP Vectra decal to go on the front

powci4p.jpg

Back
Top Bottom