What retro things have you done today?

Caporegime
Most of the time (for new stuff) i sling the boxes, but in this instance, im going to keep it as its old and retro

So the PC im going to build isnt really authentic, its a mismatch of 90s and 2000s bits and differnent colours

Other bits ordered
Soundblaster unboxed card
Duron 800mhz CPU arrived today
New Boxed motherboard
512mb memory
2x CF IDE (Riser bracket ones)
spliiter cables for above and molex extender
Nvidia FX5200
IDE CD -Rom , or i may used the philips one i put up in another post
HP unused boxed PS2 Keyboard (Grey)
HP unused PS2 Mouse (black and silver)
HP nearly new 15" 4:3 LCD Monitor
Yellow Round IDE & Floppy cables

I got this case coming below for £30 including delivery, its way to much , but there is so little out there that isnt broken, or has bits missing. it was originally priced at £40 and i offered £30.
I have a vinyl cutter at work, and was thinking if i could make an HP Vectra decal to go on the front

powci4p.jpg

Pretty sure that's the first case I ever built a custom build into. Socket A, Duron 600 256MB RAM, TNT2 Pro. Beast.

Soldato
3870x2 arrived the other day. In one of those amazon dvd cardboard pouches with 1 layer of bubble wrap. The PCI bracket was sticking out of the packaging!

Got quite bent too...

I managed to straighten it but wasnt holding high hopes for it working. Had 3 or 4 crashes while installing drivers but eventually got them on and it seems to be running fine! Had a really busy week and not had a proper chance to push it but it did pass a 3dmark06 just fine.

Also it looks like someone has physically cut some metal off of the end of the backplate... Poor thing has had a rough time.

Soldato
Im not sure if I had a 3870X2 but at one point I had a 4870X2. I seem to recall it ran at 100 degrees even with new paste. :p

Is the 3870X2 like that?
Will have a proper look next weekend. The fan certainly moves some air!

I will need to take it apart and give it an IPA bath and some new paste I think. Poor thing looks like it came from a scrap pile. I wont be pushing it hard except for 3dmark as it only has 2x 6pin instead of the 8pin and 6 pin (It is documented to be OK with this unless you overclock it)

Caporegime
Well I found a set of Corsair TwinX 3500LL RAM, 2x 1GB DDR with activity lights!
I also found two 250GB WD2500 IDE hard drives, they must have cost a fortune back in the day.
And I discovered that my Pentium 4 Northwood is an early 2002 non-HT version... So I bought a 2.8GHz HT Northwood on eBay for £4 posted.

So my original plan to rebuild my old PC has somehow morphed into me building a totally different PC, using absolutely none of my old parts. My old motherboard, CPU and RAM will stay sat in a box... I'll build another PC with them somewhen else. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Woke up to find I’d won another GTX 480, which now means I have three. 3-way SLI is going to have to be a thing on my Socket 775 build now!

lol.. do you know any titles that support it, I have a GTX260 running, and all cards are pretty much the same, peel off the hideous vendor artwork and your left with Nvidia Reference artwork below

Soldato
Fit the SB 2.0 to my Dell today and also formatted the win95 install for a clean DOS6.22 with phils dos starter pack.

All the original driver disks worked just fine and it installed without a hitch.

Tested with the most important game:

Back
Top Bottom