What retro things have you done today?

Still worth grabbing over my current PCI if I can get it cheap enough?

Also seen a Yamaha YMF719B-S, that any good? Have to admit I am totally out of my knowledge area here
It depends what you want it for, but it's out my depth too I would say.

The AWE cards (all Soundblaster cards) come in many models each using different chips and the AWE have on board memory too, however some do not.

Even the same model number can differ in what hardware is used. e.g. on Vogons someone lists a specific CT23XX card, but then on closer inspection there are 3 differing cards all with the same model number. Each cards have varying positives and negatives!

I wouldnt buy it (any card) without understanding what it does and it it fits your use case :)

its just going to be general use / retro gaming more than anything so wont be expecting the world. My main thinking was is if the PCI emulation is using up system resource and the ISA Vibra will release that, happy days.

I genuinely don't have big money to throw £90 at the idea to get an AWE (don't get me wrong, as much as I would love to!) so a be it, basic but more efficient solution would be fine.

Anyone happen to know if a QDI PlatiniX 2DE/800 unofficially supports 800FSB HT Northwood P4's?

You sure about the model number, I can see a PlatiniX 2ED or a Platinix 2PE/800 but not a DE/800

If it's the 2PE/800 then it should support them (it states HT processors supported in the manual, and also 800FSB via overclocking)
https://web.archive.org/web/2008032...p.com/qdisite/eng/products/platinix2pe800.htm
https://web.archive.org/web/20080324131031/http://www.qdigrp.com/qdisite/driver/manual/P2PE800_E.zip

You sure about the model number, I can see a PlatiniX 2ED or a Platinix 2PE/800 but not a DE/800

If it's the 2PE/800 then it should support them (it states HT processors supported in the manual, and also 800FSB via overclocking)
https://web.archive.org/web/2008032...p.com/qdisite/eng/products/platinix2pe800.htm
https://web.archive.org/web/20080324131031/http://www.qdigrp.com/qdisite/driver/manual/P2PE800_E.zip

Yes PE, sorry :)

That looks promising!
I had previously found this:

U465ffxl.png.jpg

I bought it anyway.

Last edited:
its just going to be general use / retro gaming more than anything so wont be expecting the world. My main thinking was is if the PCI emulation is using up system resource and the ISA Vibra will release that, happy days.

I genuinely don't have big money to throw £90 at the idea to get an AWE (don't get me wrong, as much as I would love to!) so a be it, basic but more efficient solution would be fine.

In that case an ISA Vibra card should serve well.

Epic Pinball running on a PCI card shows how bad it really is

Great stuff, Epic Pinball's theme is absolutely amazing so want to do it justice!.....SOLD!

Thanks very much for the guidance again too
Also, this is a good video comparing the AWE32, SB16 and two different Vibra models. I personally prefer the SB16 over the AWE32 aswell.

Also, this is a good video comparing the AWE32, SB16 and two different Vibra models. I personally prefer the SB16 over the AWE32 aswell.

Interesting video that,

I agree the AWE almost felt a bit "forced" on the higher end stuff, i assume overall the card quality is impressive though. The 16 did sound great. Even the Vibra wasn't bad at all was expecting more of a difference

Seems a 16 would be ideal but cant seem to find one atm

Well, I've expanded my retro kit to include my first laptop but it's been an adventure.

I was browsing laptops within 20 miles of home on eBay and came across a nice looking (aesthetically) laptop "for cheap", that turns out is a Dell XPS M1530. My interest was cemented when I saw it had dedicated graphics - an 8600GT. It was £50 and spares and repairs without the hard drive but with the charger, and a laptop bag. It was about 5 minutes away so it was worth a look.

I message about the laptop asking is it S&R because the HDD has been removed or does it actually not work - it comes with the charger so does it at least fire up if you try it today. The seller (writing very well) said "worked when last used ages ago". Over a few messages (local collection wasn't offered on the ad) I gave her the benefit of the doubt because of how she and the advert came across and paid £50 for it. She then provided her address as about 40 minutes away not 5 minutes! Quite annoying but not too far away still.

Get it home and it does not turn on at all - nothing. No LEDs lighting up. I take it all apart to see if there is anything fishy and change the CMOS battery whilst I was in there (literally need to remove everything to get to it) and clean it out and give it new thermal paste whilst I was digging... Still no boot.

I could only think it was a dead motherboard or dead charger, so I bought a new charger on eBay for £10 and 3 days later it is here... and... it boots up! Keyboard doesn't work but I've re-seated the zero insertion force (probably my least favourite thing about working on laptops) cable and the keyboard is working fine.

It's got:

45nm T8100 2.1GHz / 800FSB / 4mb / 2c2t
3GB RAM
8600GT 256MB
720p display 15.6"
wifi + bluetooth + a space for a sim card?
XP and Vista (official) support.

The 800MHz FSB limits me to some quite slow (and expensive) CPUs annoyingly. I could spend £15 upgrading to 2.4GHz with the same 4mb cache for about £15, any faster and the prices jump to about £40. I'll be dropping in an SSD, obviously, and probably swap the 1GB stick for a 2GB for 4GB total.

Some of the glued plastic is starting to peel away on the upper palm rest so I'll glue that back down.

The question is, do I go XP for the "performance", Vista for the "lulz" or Windows 7 for almost genuine usability?

OdSSM7Hh.jpg

aOR0mx9h.jpg

The old XPS units are good looking things!

I would say that 7 would run pretty well, my daughter's Sony is a lower spec with only onboard graphics and was spot on for a year of home schooling during lockdowns without a second thought.

Depends what you want it to do I guess. That spec for XP gaming will be cracking :)

Back
Top Bottom