What retro things have you done today?

I had a sad moment thinking my X1950 XT had died because it wasn't displaying an image despite the fans spinning up and down through POST, and got even more sad when I saw the price of them on eBay. turns out it just won't display a signal my modern monitor will recognise so it shows no signal until it reaches the desktop and shows 1024*768 or whatever the Standard Windows Driver resolution is.

With drivers installed it works and accelerates 'fine' but it still won't play nicely with it with the image underscanning by more than the under/overscan utility allows for in CCC, and the monitor thinks it's 1280*720 is actually 1440*900 so something is going on...

It works fine on an older DVI monitor though. Long live my X1950XT! It's my favourite graphics card i own for reasons I can't really explain. Edit it cost me £6 from CEX lol

I had one of these as a stop gap that I paid like 10-15 quid for when I had sold my 4870's ages back and was waiting for 6970's to arrive.

I jammed a vortexx neo cooler on it and just kept clocking it, was such an unbelievable card for its generation. So much power!

goes down as one of my favourites now, i like you did tried to get another but eBay prices are just silly!

Last edited:
I had a bit of a bargain pickup recently. Managed to get 2 Dell 20" 2007FP 1600x1200 monitors on dual monitor arm stand for £6.50. I had the 24" Monitor which was in storage so I grabbed the stand off that as I only wanted to run 1 monitor. I've put the other one into storage as its always handy to have a spare. Really happy with them.

kmaqkpmh.jpg
could have done with that screen for my arcade cab. :(

How you finding that aspect ratio? 5:4 is common but 4:3 is not that common. Although i think most arcade and console stuff will make use of more screen area with a 4:3 display

I've not had anything to note, with this being 4:3 1600x1200. I've only tested Dos games and some Win98 stuff.

Keep an eye out for the Dell ultrasharp 2007FP and also the older Ultrasharp 2001FP. Both 20" 4:3 displays

Picked up this windows ME toshiba laptop today. £10! Had lots of problems booting but with some repairing and editing of the system.ini I got it all working again.
Its full of bloatware and had a half attempt at being wiped so I might pull the HDD and put another in with a fresh windows98 se.
Sellers pic because my house is a mess prepping for xmas.

Made a little video restoring my latest laptop:

Once upon a time that machine would have been top of the line. Just some feedback don't always be negative in your videos.

Do a spin with some positive as well, find something old systems are good at and then give a positive thought about it rather than all negative.

I remember when ME come out, I found an upgrade online to ME Plus was over the moon getting new desktop themes and games!

:)

Last edited:
Next one will be positive ;)
I do actually like ME.. but this machine has been through some stuff haha. On a deeper dive I found a kazaa folder full of .exe files and a cookie folder full of XXX! It deserves a clean and maybe even a P3 instead of that celeron!

Next one will be positive ;)
I do actually like ME.. but this machine has been through some stuff haha. On a deeper dive I found a kazaa folder full of .exe files and a cookie folder full of XXX! It deserves a clean and maybe even a P3 instead of that celeron!

Just format it, I assume you know how to format old OS systems from scratch anyway also I think the problem might be drivers with old systems. Searching for them could be a bit of a pain but I'm sure with enough search there might be FTP servers still active somewhere with them on.

Just format it, I assume you know how to format old OS systems from scratch anyway also I think the problem might be drivers with old systems. Searching for them could be a bit of a pain but I'm sure with enough search there might be FTP servers still active somewhere with them on.
Yea I have found the important drivers. Just a shame the toshiba bits might not work. The hotkeys and shortcut keys etc. Not super important but I do like to keep the OEM stuff as "factory" as it can be.. Just without the nonsense bloatware

Had a bit of a retro tidy-up today. Current setup of the consoles I actively use. The rest are boxed away as are the 8/16/32 bit micro computers.
Pictured PS3, Wii U, US NTSC SNES, Megadrive (NTSC converted), Wii, OG XBOX (NTSC converted and feeding a component to HDMI box).
All consoles (apart from the SNES and MD of course) have custom firmware.
I use the CRT for the SNES, MD and Wii which has various emulators installed and play almost like genuine 8/16 bit consoles with scanlines and 240p

jQ873i0.jpeg

Last edited:
3M Microtouch 12.1" screen which would have been used for a Kiosk of some sort. Dated March 2002
I had the idea of having it under my main monitor for retro gaming on PCem, still way too big but quite a good picture. Best in 640 x 480
Took a few photos as will probably sell it on...

uyvfNCnh.jpg.png

ojb8gOTh.jpg.png

4dBmD6Lh.jpg.png

PFrK3eAh.jpg.png

BOzDrQah.jpg.png

qDEF50Ch.jpg.png

NIFtTokh.jpg.png

DsJ3eSvh.jpg.png

mrVmGFzh.jpg.png

rYloNAWh.jpg.png

wK2mki4h.jpg.png

RAwRPwsh.jpg.png