What retro things have you done today?

My 6600GT has finally arrived so it's now time for the W98 PCIe build. Fortunately I came across a similar build on vogons and the guy had a ICH7 "driver" so that will help (and will also let me use normal G31 boards). Squished into the tiny case with a 3GHz 478 P4, 30GB HDD and that ALS4000 card.

PXL-20221230-151658610.jpg

Have a few days off over Christmas and New Year, so I thought what better time for some retro gaming. :)

Dug out my CRT and planted it on my desk, it's now crowded but a temporary setup! I trepidily fired up the CRT as its been a few months since I last tested. Since the photo, fixed the Doom image geometry as its skewed when I took the pic!

Managed to locate my Joystick Rockfire adapter since my XP rig doesn't have a Gameport. An adapter purchased ages ago but squirrelled away. Months later I found it; nowadays they ain't cheap and rather limited (no idea if it will work as never used). The plan is to connect a CH Flightstick for (hopefully) some old school flight sim (Mig Alley) action!

LpHWCar.png

NhRFzx0.png

u4okf8d.png

SsSkF8d.png

That's a classic stick. My mainstay for several years.
:)

My first foray into PC Gaming was Aces of the Pacific which I bought alongside an original CH Flightstick (two button affair) cost a fortune in 1992 (£140 for the game and stick at the time); saved for ages to get both.

Owned the CH racing wheel back in the day, it had an MDF board which sat under the CRT. Industrial engineered pedals and leather wheel, obsolete now but was brilliant fun! Fondly remember the little CH Mach 1 which was brilliant for Sensible Soccer. I found it to be the perfect stick where you could float or add after touch to a shot! The Mach 1 is a seemingly a rare find nowadays (I can never find one!) It's on my wish list to buy again!

Staring at the Iiyama, the depth of the monitor and desk space required is insane! It's a struggle to find a desk nowadays with the depth required for a CRT.

Last edited:
I used a second CH stick (a smaller regular style stick) along with the Flight Stick to use as a throttle and rudder for space sims and for Descent. I was employed by a computer game publisher at the time and once worked at a computer show where CH Products had a stand. I went over to chat to them, saying I was a fan of their products and told them about how I used a second stick as a throttle and they said you don't want to do that and gave me a F16 Fighter stick and a Pro throttle! They then asked me if I wanted anything else and I asked if I could have some rudder pedals and they gave me their basic set which can also be used as car pedals!

What's even better is my boss said I could keep them!

When a friend came around to visit and saw me playing on a space sim with the stick, throttle and rudder pedal setup he joked that all i needed to complete the collection was a space helmet. :D

I sold the stick and throttle some years ago, as they weren't USB, but I still have the pedals which I use occasionally with a gameport to USB adapter.

I wish they'd given me the pro pedals though! :p

Last edited:
I've been sorting and spreadsheeting all my retro componets (again). Initially to check they are all present (and not lost during move etc.) and then to check all are working... fun.

I have gathered a pile of 7 old internal PCI modems, 1 internal modem riser looking card and 2 firewire cards, both with 2 ports.

I don't want to fall foul of the mods, but does anyone want this before it goes for electronic waste recycling?

Not looking for money, just whatever postage costs and will show and supply the reciept if any takers :)

I dug out my PSP again. I'm definitely glad I upgraded to a 2003 model for it's screen. I'm actually really into Test Drive unlimited which plays really nicely. Certainly feels much nicer than than the 360 one which never felt quite right to drive.

Have a few days off over Christmas and New Year, so I thought what better time for some retro gaming. :)

Dug out my CRT and planted it on my desk, it's now crowded but a temporary setup! I trepidily fired up the CRT as its been a few months since I last tested. Since the photo, fixed the Doom image geometry as its skewed when I took the pic!

Managed to locate my Joystick Rockfire adapter since my XP rig doesn't have a Gameport. An adapter purchased ages ago but squirrelled away. Months later I found it; nowadays they ain't cheap and rather limited (no idea if it will work as never used). The plan is to connect a CH Flightstick for (hopefully) some old school flight sim (Mig Alley) action!

NhRFzx0.png
Damn, is that a 19" Vision Master Pro 454? It looks to be in near perfect condition too!
Must weigh about 30kg :D

My mate got me a ridiculously neat Christmas present:
vadwEYyh.jpg

Never thought I'd see one of these in person let alone own one that's like-new and fully boxed. Always wanted one back in the original PS days and always thought it was a shame it never got a release outside of Japan.

Back
Top Bottom